MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Default Beware of the double grind!!

I'm sure you all remember that gross pink slime burger meat in the long tube well guess what there doing now. There taking all that crap and running it through a grinder twice casing and all and calling it double grind burger meat. So don't be fooled. Just a heads up from a butcher in my grocery store. So if you can't see it being ground or don't personally know your butchers as I do be afraid be very afraid.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Afraid of what? That's a common practice in a restaurant. Well maybe not the casing.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Allegry
Knows what a fatty is.

There's nothing to be afraid of. No it's not going to be the ultimate word in taste or texture (which alone is reason enough to buy something else), but there is nothing inherently unsafe about "pink slime". Stop with the useless fearmongering.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Do you truly want to eat this stuff versus fresh ground? I don't. There's some nasty stuff in that crap. A bit over floor sweepings as far as I'm concerned. Never said it was unsafe just gross. Never bought it myself just making letting all know what my butcher told me. Do what you want with this info.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Then again our Government says it's fine and we know we can trust them. My bad! Then again used it pet food!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_slime

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
Afraid of what? That's a common practice in a restaurant. Well maybe not the casing.
Afraid of what? Fresh ground versus crap that's not fit for human consumption or pet food! Have fun with that I won't. I've been buying my fresh ground for forty years and my butcher will do it to order. Thanks but I'll pass.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

a few weeks ago my local safeway had ground beef on sale for $2.25 a lb - I asked the butcher what cut of beef it was that they were grinding that they were able to sell it so cheap (I was interested in buying some of the whole muscle to grind myself) and he said that they get big tubes of non-ground small pieces (smaller than stew meat) and they run that thru the grinder and repackage it...

Know the source of your food - know your butcher well or grind it yourself fella's!

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
a few weeks ago my local safeway had ground beef on sale for $2.25 a lb - I asked the butcher what cut of beef it was that they were grinding that they were able to sell it so cheap (I was interested in buying some of the whole muscle to grind myself) and he said that they get big tubes of non-ground small pieces (smaller than stew meat) and they run that thru the grinder and repackage it...

Know the source of your food - know your butcher well or grind it yourself fella's!
Only what I'm trying to pass on to all. What you do with the info is up to you. Not trying to start anything just passing what my butcher told me is all.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #9
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think I get your point. But when I have a Chuck or Brisket ground I always have it twice ground.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
I think I get your point. But when I have a Chuck or Brisket ground I always have it twice ground.
I know I get your point but your not using that nasty stuff, right?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I wasn't careful about the double grind earlier this year and now my wife is due any day now with our 7th.....jus' sayin'

Old 11-26-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
Yendor
is one Smokin' Farker

Meh, all I have to say is hot dogs. Enjoy.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
AZScott
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
I'm sure you all remember that gross pink slime burger meat in the long tube well guess what there doing now. There taking all that crap and running it through a grinder twice casing and all and calling it double grind burger meat. So don't be fooled. Just a heads up from a butcher in my grocery store. So if you can't see it being ground or don't personally know your butchers as I do be afraid be very afraid.
I for one look for further sources than a local grocery store butcher. Have any? I for one know many a butcher or chef that will double grind their any and all beef scraps for burgers. I will note that the reason they called it pink slime is because after it was processed the meat was gelatinous or like a paste. Highly unlikely they would double grind gelatinous pasty meat.

Mechanically removed meat, although it may look disgusting, is food. Do you only eat air dried chicken to avoid chlorine? Do you avoid vegetable oils? I only ask because those are heavily treated with chemicals. Do you encourage soy use even though it contains estrogen?

I'm torn on this subject and due to my fortunate job I can afford good high quality meat and ingredients when I cook. I grind my own meat and I know where 90% of my meat comes from. On the other hand, fear mongering is leading to higher food costs, less protein in diets, more soy protein being consumed, etc. If I ever have to seriously curtail my food budget I would choose "pink slime" over soy protein or increased refined carbs any day. Many people in tough economic situations are being pinched by economic conditions and like cheap food prices and as long as it's GRAS they don't care.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Like I said just passing on info. Do what you all want with it. I know I will.