MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
big piggin bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Default opinions wanted

when should a "backyard team" turn pro?

Old 06-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Honest answer: Whenever they want to take the plunge.

And, to be even more honest, a "pro" team would be someone who derives all or a significant part of their income from their barbequing/competitive endeavors.

Many of us who compete in sanctioned events are doing so more as a hobby than as a profession regardless of how often we are able to compete. In fact, most people who are really good at competitive cooking are damn happy if they can simply break even over the long haul.

Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I would say just before you compete in any unsanctioned comp you should consider change and competing in a sanctioned competition. There's nothing much to learn in an unsanctioned comp.

+1 there really aren't many if any teams that derive most of their annual income in competition winnings. The better ones make a few dollars ate it, averages being averages, but it's still a hobby (or a marketing endeavor for their restaurant, etc.)
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

pro? well, we're not there yet as a sport. there are but a few who are.

as far as when to go to all 4 categories sanctioned? right now! the sooner the better. the learning curve can be steep so might as well jump into it as soon as feasible. the clock never stops ticking and there's alot to learn, and fun to be had.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by big piggin bbq View Post
when should a "backyard team" turn pro?
I see you're in Huntsville, AL. Some/many of your answers here may be KCBSesque (reference the all 4 events). You have MANY choices of sanctioning bodies in and around your area, and they're VERY different.

That said, other than learning a little about hitting a turn-in time, there's not much to be learned at an unsanctioned competition. Your BBQ might even get scored badly at an unsanctioned competition that in the sanctioning body that suits you best might be scored very well.

Some sanctioning bodies you can participate in only 1 event and still qualify for and win GC for the whole competition. While you wouldn't be learning how to do multiple meats, you would be learning how to hit the mark and be judged against the standard set-forth by the sanctioning body.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

can we all agree that we dont need to have the "nobody is a pro" conversation every time someone mentions being a "pro".
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

agreed. my apologies. i'm very KCBS skewed up here, sometimes i forget about the other bodies.

nonetheless, you're not going to learn about competing in any of them unless you start competing in them. if your Q is good, have at it!

Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
gooose53
Full Fledged Farker

I never did a backyard event. I started competing with a friend who had competed and that's where I learned timing and such. Nothing wrong with just jumping in and taking the plunge.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
can we all agree that we dont need to have the "nobody is a pro" conversation every time someone mentions being a "pro".
no, because not everyone knows.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
big piggin bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

thanks for the replies... i started competing last year in backyard. and have done well, came in 5th overall out of 75 teams my first time out... i have competed about 7-8 times and have had several calls in both ribs and chickens, have had one RGC and missed one RGC by .0002... anyways... i feel like some teams are "professional backyarders" and im not sure why they wouldnt want to step up... i myself feel like i need to step up after completing this "season" as a backyarder....

Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
athenslb57
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big piggin bbq View Post
thanks for the replies... i started competing last year in backyard. and have done well, came in 5th overall out of 75 teams my first time out... i have competed about 7-8 times and have had several calls in both ribs and chickens, have had one RGC and missed one RGC by .0002... anyways... i feel like some teams are "professional backyarders" and im not sure why they wouldnt want to step up... i myself feel like i need to step up after completing this "season" as a backyarder....
Last year was our first year to compete and we started in the backyard division. We won the AL governor's cup and moved up to pro this year. We always wanted to move up but there are teams that have no intention of moving up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
athenslb57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
big piggin bbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athenslb57 View Post
Last year was our first year to compete and we started in the backyard division. We won the AL governor's cup and moved up to pro this year. We always wanted to move up but there are teams that have no intention of moving up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
yes i know who you are!!! i didnt realize last year was your first year competing...

Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Lippy
On the road to being a farker

We jumped right in. Never did a backyard.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
no, because not everyone knows.

there is nothing to know.

please stop acting you are providing some public service every you or anyone else rambles on about not being a pro.

Besides the fact that everyone on the "not a pro" crusade is simply wrong about the nature of being a professional. Professionals are not simply people who make their living doing something. In the context of amateur or professional, which is the case for bbq as many contest refer to those designations and the context of the original question, professional is often defined as someone who receives payment for their work.

Unless you are Cam Newton, if you get paid for something, you are a professional at it. Regardless of if you have net revenue or not, when determining amatuer status one of the most frequent things to look at is have you ever received payment for that activity. If you have and there are not extenuating circumstances then you are more often than not considered a professional.

On top of all that everyone should be encouraging all teams to, regardless of skill, compete in sanctioned or "pro" events. If the term "pro" has the extra benefit of conveying the benefits of sanctioned competition to new teams then all the more reason to refer to sanctioned events as "pro events" and by extension all teams that compete in them as professionals.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i wouldn't consider 9 words on the subject a "ramble".

but, anyway, my suggestion WAS to move into sanctioned events, whether it be KCBS all 4 categories or whathaveyou.

and i'll leave it at that.