MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Another question for BoD candidates

So in your opinion, what exactly are the advantages of KCBS membership for folks that aren't interested in attaining and/or maintaining their CBJ status? The Bullsheet really isn't that terribly spectacular in its current form and other than the day-passes to Restaurant Depot the discounts available to members are a bit lacking.

And as a follow up, if you share my opinion that the advantages of membership are a bit on the sparse side for non-CBJs, what ideas do you have rolling around in your head for improvements?

Thanks guys.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

As a follow up, I can tell you from personal experience that The Bullsheet is not limmited to current members. When my membership lapsed, I continued to receive it, so that is hardly even a bennefit of membership.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

If I am elected to the board I would use the power of numbers to approach some larger corporations and ask for benefits. The first would be Sams Club. How about a 5% discount on meat on grocery items excluding alcohol? I asked my Sams Club manager today if a system wide discount associated with a Sams Club member account number could be done for groceries only and he said it could be done.
How about a vehicle discount? I belong to an organization with a much smaller number of members and with that membership I am entitled to $500.00 off the purchase of most any Ford vehicle. That $500.00 can be applied after rebates.
How about True Value? They have a loyalty program and after talking to my contact at corporate True Value he said it wouldn't be impossible to set up a program for a large group, if corporate approved.
How about a discount from a business that sells work clothing such as Carhart or Dickies? One group I belong to with a larger membership than KCBS has this setup. It is a local store that thrives by offering a discount and has offered the discount for nearly a decade.
How about negotiating corporate rates with Marriott, Hilton, Starwood and other hotel chains?
These are a few examples of where I believe KCBS member benefits could begin. The days of something besides a Bull Sheet and bumper stickers could begin and at some point you may have businesses asking for exclusivity.
If elected I would LOVE to head up an effort to add extra value to membership dues.
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Been saying this for three years... health insurance. We have over 14,000 members so that should count for something when it comes to group health insurance. In my own situation, I'm currently unemployed and my wife's company doesn't offer it. I can't afford the premiums, especially with high blood pressure in the past, even with it not being an issue now). The NBBQA offers some sort of discounted health insurance program. Why could KCBS not do the same?
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
stan
is one Smokin' Farker

KCBS does have a discount on Hotels with Choice Hotels. I have used it before. It would be nice if it was Marriott or Hilton. It is time to shop arround though. Like Jeff sad NBBQA has a health insurance group but you go one step further and could be an affinity group for auto, home, business insurance etc.
County Line Smokers Competition BBQ Team
KCBS Member - CBJ #20654
Pitmaker BBQ Vault mounted in a 12 Foot Competition Trailer
22 1/2 Weber Kettle, Stainless Steel gaser
chunks of wild cherry, pecan, oak
stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #6
Divemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
KCBS does have a discount on Hotels with Choice Hotels. I have used it before. It would be nice if it was Marriott or Hilton. It is time to shop arround though. Like Jeff sad NBBQA has a health insurance group but you go one step further and could be an affinity group for auto, home, business insurance etc.
Yes, there are hotel discounts, but Ramona and I have found that AAA very often beats the KCBS discount.

I think a consistent corporate rate would be better than a one time discount. Heck, why not a discount on AAA, that way we could have the best of both worlds.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan View Post
I know you've had your hands full with OBR, so I didn't call you. I had a talk with another cook that suggested the same thing, so I called a cousin who is an agent and he's looking into some things so that I'd have a better idea of what we'd really be looking at. If elected, YOU WILL be on that committee.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Jorge

A similar idea was presented to me by a cook a week or two ago, and I started looking into it. Based on the last membership survey done by MMA we do have something to offer prospective partners to open the door. Negotiating a national deal goes beyond the number of members, and average income. How likely are members to participate in plan X, for example? It can be a long process.

Beyond that, there are other business/negotiation issues. If you allow yourself to be lowballed once, money has been left on the table for subsequent partnerships. With a relatively small membership we need to do our research, and pick our partners carefully and negotiate the best deals possible. One quality partnership has the potential to open future doors. To a stranger, who your friends are can tell a lot about you.

This is one of those issues that I believe the board needs to look at long term, and develop a strategy in concert with MMA. It's also one that I'd expect to take time, as well as be handled confidentially.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'd like to offer on-line continuing education about all phases of BBQ to our members. We could (for very minimal cost) send out e-blasts on just about any subject that has to do with BBQ, whether it's competition, vending or in the backyard. The whole array of classes, e-blasts or on-line seminars would only be open to those who are members of KCBS.
Remember, I'm not a computer guy. In fact I know very little about what computers can or can't do. BUT - I have gone out of my way to talk to people who do understand what can or can't be done and almost every one of them has said that these things can be done very easily with a low cost factor.
So - - - why aren't we doing that now???
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Dave, I respect the commitment to communication but if KCBS sends out an blasts "on just about any subject..." I will put them on my SPAM list...I don't need the extra emails. This is a recurring theme in your platform.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #11
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I used to work on the MIT campus and they have an 18% discount on cell phone service. I still have the discount. They had at least 3 different carriers. MIT also has an activities committee that sets up discounts at cooking classes, movies, sporting events and other various activities. I would like to see KCBS have something similar.
Here's a link to the MIT website so you can see the type of offers they have. With 14K members KCBS should be able to do this. http://web.mit.edu/mitac/

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Plowboy

Let's not forget that a benefit of being a member is knowing that you are supporting the organization and it's mission which includes the contests we all enjoy.

I know that statement can and will be picked apart from now until Sunday, but it is still true. Even if you don't like congress, the current seated president, or any one (or two) political parties, you still love America. No one LIKES paying taxes, but we all enjoy many of the things those taxes pay for like roads, schools, etc.

I think all who enjoy KCBS bbq contests should SELF ELECT to be members. Not doing so is like being a citizen of this country, enjoying its provisions, but knowingly paying zero taxes.

Before responding to this post, please read it three times and consider your response. Don't just pick to be picking. This post could be easily ripped on, but I still believe it to be true.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Last edited by Plowboy; 11-17-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Plowboy

Voting rights are also a benefit.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Last edited by Plowboy; 11-17-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
This post could be easily ripped on, but I still believe it to be true.
No ripping here. I agree with you 100%
Old 11-17-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

All I have to say is..... Plowboy 2013!!!!

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote