US vs Canadian Charcoal

southpaw_1979

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
This may have been discussed before. Is there a known difference between Canadian and US charcoal. My family has bought many brands but even brand to brand, kingsford for example in the blue bag, briquettes are significantly larger in the US than they are in Canada. I'm intending to stock up in the US from now on.
I was telling my dad how many briquettes to us on a dutch oven and he nearly burned dinner since he was using US briquettes.

Strange. Kingsford of course changed the shape and stuff a few years ago. Maybe he was using an old bag of charcoal...:-?

It is the trend of everything sold in the US these day...soon there will a bag of Kingsford with softball sized briquettes and the bag will be red with lightening bolts and labeled as Kingsford EXXXXTREME!!!!

One's from the US, the other's from Canada? Charcoal's charcoal, the difference is in the size of the lump and type of wood it's made from

I spoke with a knowledgeable guy the other day in the world of BBQ. He told me that Canadian Maple Lump (made in Montreal) sub packages for different branding across north america. He stated that Royal Oak is supplied and bagged by the same company.

I wonder if they have Canadian distribution rights for royal oak??

I love my Canadian Maple Lump and have 20 bags for the winter to prove it!!!!

I spoke with a knowledgeable guy the other day in the world of BBQ. He told me that Canadian Maple Lump (made in Montreal) sub packages for different branding across north america. He stated that Royal Oak is supplied and bagged by the same company.

I wonder if they have Canadian distribution rights for royal oak??

I love my Canadian Maple Lump and have 20 bags for the winter to prove it!!!!

Hey,

So I got a question now that you bring this up. Royal Oak that they sell in Canadian tire is rebranded Candian Maple? (Is Canadian Maple the same as Maple Leaf? ) Only reason i ask is because I pick up Maple Leaf briquettes from Home Hardware and it would save me time if I just picked up my charcoal from Canadian Tire.

Thanks!

I just noticed you didn't mention whether your dad was using KBB. There are other brands out there that are significantly smaller in the size of a briquette (the Academy Outdoor Gourmet brand for example - and I have bought other stuff that was even smaller). Is he using an off brand possibly?

Hey,

So I got a question now that you bring this up. Royal Oak that they sell in Canadian tire is rebranded Candian Maple? (Is Canadian Maple the same as Maple Leaf? ) Only reason i ask is because I pick up Maple Leaf briquettes from Home Hardware and it would save me time if I just picked up my charcoal from Canadian Tire.

Thanks!

Royal oak is not the same as Basques Sugar Maple which is from Quebec. One is from oak and the other is from a sugar maple tree. I've just started using the basques sugar maple lump and it tastes so much better than royal oak and I think royal oak is pretty darn good.

The briquettes are different sizes, yes we were both using Kingsford Blue Bag. We were comparing two bags, of Kingsford Blue Bag, one bought in the US, not sure where and one bag bought in Canada.

I do like the Maple Leaf lump as well though. I find it does spark a bit more than others though, but that doesn't really bother me. Just seems like plain simple stuff, right down to the packaging.

I had been buying Royal Oak lump at Cdn Tire, but I got a Costco membership earlier in the year and got some of the Basque's sugar maple lump. I love it. I think it smells better.
I'll buy Royal Oak when I can't find affordable Basque's though.
I usually have a bag of Royal Oak briquettes to start the UDS because it's consistent portions, but I burn lump as the primary heat source.

I have a local Portuguese place that sells that brand as well. smells so good in there. I love the Canada maple leaf lump it cooks well, smells great and adds a great flavour to my cooks.

Basques I may give a go soon but I have the 20 bags to go through

Somewhere in the background I hear the faint pounding of an excited crowd chanting, "U....S...A.....U....S......A" as we discuss Canadian charcoal Vs USA charcoal.

Somewhere in the background I hear the faint pounding of an excited crowd chanting, "U....S...A.....U....S......A" as we discuss Canadian charcoal Vs USA charcoal.

I'm a big fan of Maple Leaf lump charcoal when I can get it, and I'm down to my last few 9lb bags of their Natural briqs.....

Blame Canada!

Interesting thread. I haven't bought charcoal in the U.S. in 13 years so I can't comment on whether or not there's a difference between U.S. and Canadian. However, I will chime in and say that I'm not a fan of Kingsford at all and really like Royal Oak, although I prefer lump over briquettes. I just picked up a few bags yesterday to get me going in the right direction when my new Pitmaker arrives later this week. ;)

@kenthanson - nice to see another person from SK on here. Good idea posting your Twitter handle on here. Consider yourself followed!

Hey,

Thanks!

No it's far from it. The Blue Bag RO lumber mill scrap from the US. It's no where near the quality of Maple Leaf Lump.

Maple Leaf Lump and Basques Sugar are from different suppliers .

Basques is cheaper - Pure Maple and more Sparky

Maple Leaf is a higher quality lump that is a mix of Maple, Birch, ect... Burns hotter, does not spark or produce as much ash of Basques. Maple leaf has issues with chip, dust and very few usable pieces in some their bags. They can be hit of miss at times.

Kamado Joe (Not Canadian) is becoming more widely available in Canada and may provide a viable alternative to the other brand albeit a 28 30 dollar price tag per a bag.

Wal-Mart Canada is firing selling Royal oak for very good prices so it may be better to hit up
Wally World for RO before paying too much to Canadian Tire.

Nature's Own at Canadian tire is best bang for buck for lump with consistently decent sized pieces with minor sparking issues and greater ash production over Maple Leaf.

No it's far from it. The Blue Bag RO lumber mill scrap from the US. It's no where near the quality of Maple Leaf Lump.

Maple Leaf Lump and Basques Sugar are from different suppliers .

Basques is cheaper - Pure Maple and more Sparky

Maple Leaf is a higher quality lump that is a mix of Maple, Birch, ect... Burns hotter, does not spark or produce as much ash of Basques. Maple leaf has issues with chip, dust and very few usable pieces in some their bags. They can be hit of miss at times.

Kamado Joe (Not Canadian) is becoming more widely available in Canada and may provide a viable alternative to the other brand albeit a 28 30 dollar price tag per a bag.

Wal-Mart Canada is firing selling Royal oak for very good prices so it may be better to hit up
Wally World for RO before paying too much to Canadian Tire.

Nature's Own at Canadian tire is best bang for buck for lump with consistently decent sized pieces with minor sparking issues and greater ash production over Maple Leaf.

Thanks so much for the clarification.

Now another question, how does the Royal Oak Lump compare to the briqettes?

I have a 18.5 WSM and never used lump before.

Thanks

Back