MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Default weber as a stick burner

Ello all. I have a question. Is it possible to use a weber and have it fueled by just splits? IE, have a small fire to one side with splits and use it to smoke some food? or is the space to small? what if i had a 55 galon drum on its side and make a grill out of it but put the fire to one side? will it still be to hot?

thanks

Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I want some of want your drinking!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm with Blu,pass the mason jar or whatever........Burn Barrel cuz.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i suppose you could but why ??

Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #5
caseydog

You could actually fuel a Weber Kettle with wood. I would go with small chunks, not long logs or splits. You would have to start your fire early, and get a bed of coals glowing, and add small amounts of wood to keep it going. Or, you could get some wood burning in a fire pit, and add hot coals while you cook.

The key is to be able to have a good bed of coals on the Weber, and add fuel as needed. If you are adding raw wood, you'll want to add small amounts at a time.

So, yeah, I think it is possible, but you will have to plan your cook, and keep a close eye on it.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #6
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
You could actually fuel a Weber Kettle with wood. I would go with small chunks, not long logs or splits. You would have to start your fire early, and get a bed of coals glowing, and add small amounts of wood to keep it going. Or, you could get some wood burning in a fire pit, and add hot coals while you cook.

The key is to be able to have a good bed of coals on the Weber, and add fuel as needed. If you are adding raw wood, you'll want to add small amounts at a time.

So, yeah, I think it is possible, but you will have to plan your cook, and keep a close eye on it.

CD
If I'm not mistaken, Greg from Ballistic BBQ on YouTube did some steaks this very way using red oak splits burned down to coals, just for flavor.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #7
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
i suppose you could but why ??
cuz i have not enough money for a stick burner. haha. Maybe it would be best to dig a hole in the ground about 2 feet deep, feel it with splits, make a nice bed of embers, and then add some dry splits to it like a stick burner and try to get the same flavor as a stick burner.

my goal is to get the same flavor as a stick burner with what i have on hand for the time being. haha

thanks

Old 01-03-2013, 05:11 AM   #8
HolySmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jobaba-Que

why not cut the splits to chunks and add them in the webber on top of lump coal and there's the smoke flavor... or am i missing something?
JC'S BAR-B-QUE & CATERING
http://www.jcbbq.com
LANG 84-Deluxe warmer, Webber Kettle
18WSM & 22.5WSM, Smokey Joe, Meadow Creek PR60,
Meadow Creek PR72, Backwoods Fatboy (2x)
HolySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Try it and see if it works for you
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
Deep South
Full Fledged Farker

I have done it but controlling temperature was nearly impossible. IF you can get a good bed of coals going you should be able to manage it better.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That is what the burn barrel is for,burn the wood in the barrel and add the hot embers as needed to maintain desired temp in the weber.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
deguerre

I've done a cook on my kettle using nothing but wood chunks. Started a chimney of chunks, let those warm the kettle up while warming some more chunks on the cool side of the grate and added them before cooking. Of course, I was doing a high temp (About 300~325) and it was an experiment that actually worked, but using lump (Which is, after all, wood) is far cheaper for me...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
jestridge

Find you some old concrete blocks and some rebar
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #14
Harbormaster

Name/Nickname : Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
That is what the burn barrel is for,burn the wood in the barrel and add the hot embers as needed to maintain desired temp in the weber.
This would work, but defeats the purpose of the WSM being a set-it-and-forget-it charcoal BBQ pit.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 PM   #15
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolySmoke View Post
why not cut the splits to chunks and add them in the webber on top of lump coal and there's the smoke flavor... or am i missing something?
ello guys. busy day today. it is the wifes b day to morrow and her moms the other day. lol so i have been booked. I also have a cookin class i have been scheduling to teach soon.

anyway, holysmoke, i should explain something. You are missing something. and i didnt mention it on this thread. haha. but i have in the past. I have tried 7 or 8 different ways of bbq smoking. from electric, gas, straight lump with no wood, lump with wood, briqs with and with out wood. lump non minion method with wood, lump non minion method with no wood, briqs non minion with and with out wood. and last but not least, plain ol stick burner. by far the stick burner was the BEST and right below that was gas/electric. Those are what produced a flavor i like. Now for the cahrcoal side, i still love it, just a way diff flavor than the stick burner. I like all bbq but i tend to lean towards a stick burner or in emergencies, lump non minon method with wood. so thats why im trying to use chunks in the weber or if i had the space, real pit cooking. I think that is my summer goal. pit cooking with a pit in the ground. haha.

thanks guys