MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Default CTX Style/Red Butcher Paper Brisket, my best brisket ever!!(PRON)

After reading all the Franklin's threads, watching all the videos, and even sampling Kreuz and Saltlick BBQ briskets first hand, today I attempted to recreate the Austin/CTX Brisket.

I started out with a little 8lb choice grade split "packer" brisket from Costco. I didn't know it was not a full on packer until I unwrapped it. It looked kinda odd, but just went with it. After discussing the matter here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=145664

I decided I got "duped" in my purchase, but nonetheless, had to run with it.

I trimmed the brisket up, but left alot of fat still attached, as this was such a small brisket, I was worried that I would dry out and make jerky instead of the delectable treat I wanted.

For the rub, I ground up 1/4 cup of sea salt into the consistency of sand. I also ground up 1/4 cup of tellicherry pepper into a kinda coarse grind. I then mixed these together. I rubbed the brisket with worcestershire, then sprinkled on a light to medium coating of the salt/pepper mix. It sat on the counter for about 20 minutes before going into the BGE.

I put the brisket on my XL BGE(loaded with B&B oak lump), indirect, over a foil pan of water. The temp was 275, and it was controlled by my Auber controller.

No remote temp probe was used. I did use my meat probe, but mostly just to check for buttah, and certain check points.

At 170, I double wrapped the brisket in red butcher paper. I probe checked it about every hour after that. About 12 hours into the cook, when the whole brisket probed like butter, I measured the temp. It averaged about 205 across the whole brisket, though the point was good to go at about 190-195.

I then shut the BGE down, removed the Auber, and let the brisket sit for about an hour while the BGE temp wound down.

I then opened my red wrapped bundle of goodness:

The brisket jiggled all over. I had to slap it. I had to. Much to the chagrin of my wife who is convinced I have lost my mind...

Holy cow...pardon the pun. This was in the top 2 or 3 briskets I've had in my life. My wife said it was the first brisket she's ever really liked. She kept asking me what I put on it. I still dont think she believed it was only salt and pepper. See, I've got a spice rack the height of an 8' door mounted in my pantry. And it is loaded with rubs, some which are very very good.

But this was all S&P! I may never use another rub on brisket again. The whole family went after that brisket like they had never had one. And possibly in truth, they never have. At least not like this.

Here's the final sliced product before we began devouring it:

I've cooked decent to even pretty good briskets, but this was in a whole nuther league. The smoke ring wasn't as pronounced as I've had in the past, but it didn't matter. The texture was spot on. The bark was spot on. The flavor was totally beefy. No sauce ever made it to the table.

To those of you contributing to all the Franklin's threads, I thank you. To PitMaster T...Thanks for the videos, and even all the crazy posts. I still don't know my George Clinton from my Aretha Franklin, but I have watched all your vids, and read most of your brisket help page links.

I feel I've finally cracked the code to the gates of Nirvanna. Thanks Brethren! You guys rock!
SmokeFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
moontz
On the road to being a farker

Is that a flat? The texture in the last pic looks almost more like steak. Looks really really good. I may buy a small one just to try this.
moontz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Now that is a good lookin' brisket!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, ya didn't get ripped off if it made a good dinner, and that is a good looking point is what I see.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
mytmouz
is One Chatty Farker

Looks great to me...

Trailer mounted reverse flow stick burner. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #1 Black. Rehomed
Weber Kettle #2 Copper
Weber Kettle #3, Dads old cooker. Rehomed
Brinkman electric. Rehomed
Weber Smokey Joe. Rehomed
Small Sunbeam tailgater. Rehomed
Brinkman vertical smoker. Rehomed
Little Chief electric smoker. Rehomed
And 2 UDS go to set ups... Rehomed
mytmouz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
htrisna
Take a breath!

So jealous ... I'm about to be out of town for work till Sunday. Now I got this in my mind :)

Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 AM   #7
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

That looks nice, good job.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #8
ItsMike
Got Wood.

** Going to Store tonight to get brisket! **

This will be done on Friday!

Thanks for sharing..
ItsMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #9
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

I love how the juices are running on the cutting board, that's what a great brisket should do.

Awesome job!
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Brisky looks great!!! Nice.
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontz View Post
Is that a flat? The texture in the last pic looks almost more like steak. Looks really really good. I may buy a small one just to try this.
Moontz, Thanks! It had some flat and some of the point. I discussed it in that thread I linked to. It looked like a normal, albeit small, full packer in the cryo. But once I got it out where I could really look at, it was obviously cut a little different from what I'm used to seeing.

It wasn't really like steak. My pics probably aren't the best.

And it was amazingly fatty on the outside. So much so I think 1/2 it's weight was probably fat. I cut a decent amount off, but left alot on since it was so small. I was also shocked it went 12 hours at 275 without getting dried out. No doubt due to all the insulation.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
SmokeFan
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
Now that is a good lookin' brisket!!!
Thanks! Your thread was one of the major inspirations. I'll never go back to foil.

Here's CarolinaQue's thread if you missed it:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=143631

Old 10-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Looks perfect.....

Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just shared your photo at the office. I saw carnivorous drooling going on. ;)

Great brisket!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

looks very good