The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Default First Time Out Vending Question

Hi everyone, after putting all of my plans to action in the fall and getting the busines to this point we are finally ready to do some concession. Next Saturday I will be vending for the first time. I will be setting up on a friends business parking lot which is in a good traffic location for our area. There is also a grocery store next to where I will set up.

The Plan

I plan to have an option of three meats chicken (leg quarters), pulled pork and brisket. I plan to offer it by the sandwich or as a meal with two sides. Side options (4oz) will be mac n cheese, cole slaw, bbq baked beans, macaroni salad.
My figures based on a 5oz sandwich I was going to do 12-8lb butts for 144 sandwiches, 1 case of chicken leg quarters(about 56), 3-12lb briskets about 58 sandwiches. Brisket is not popular around here, not because people don't like it but due to there is no place to buy BBQ and very few who can cook it. So I want to change that for this area by slowly introducing it.

Based on this potenially being about 250 meals I was going to figure a 4oz serving of each side. I was going to do 4 gallons of each side.

I have a friend who works for Pepsi who recommended who recommended a split of say
4 cases Pepsi, 2 cases Diet Pepsi, 2 cases Mtn Dew, 4 cases Dr. Pepper,1 case Crush

My questions

1) Would you cook less meat first time out?
2) Any kind of ideas how many meals will be sold vs just sandwiches?
3) How many that buy a sandwich or meal will buy a drink?
4) What are your thoughts on the quanities of my sides?
5) I was gonna put a 2oz plastic container of sauce with each sandwich. Any thoughts?

Any other words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Thank You

Ruben

Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I can't do drinks as the gas station I vend at sells them. On Friday I sell more meals than on Saturday. I sell more pounds as well on Saturday. I sell my meals (2 sides, choice from 4) for $3 + the sandwich. I take as follows;
200 HB buns, 84 HD buns, 14 butts, 12 - 14 briskets, 40 pork steaks, 40 brats, 40 hot dogs, 16 slabs, 2 steam pans of beans, 25 pounds of potato salad and slaw. 6 Chickens.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-18-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

My questions

1) Would you cook less meat first time out?
Amount seems about right for butts - I always buy by the Lb vs butt, 144 sandwiches @ 5 oz would be about 88lbs uncooked
2) Any kind of ideas how many meals will be sold vs just sandwiches?
Would start even slower and just sell sandwiches and/or 1 side first time out to minimize any issues. Choices of ala carte sandwich, sandwich and a side, sandwich and a side and a drink.
3) How many that buy a sandwich or meal will buy a drink?
Here, 6 out of 10 buy drinks, a lot of waters sold
4) What are your thoughts on the quanities of my sides?
I would limit choices first time out to cold sides - Easier to deal with. Sell what you make the most margin on
5) I was gonna put a 2oz plastic container of sauce with each sandwich. Any thoughts?
No experience here, we do squeeze bottles.

A lot will depend on your hot/cold holding capability onsite, what you will serve sandwiches and sides in (Styro container, food trays, side in styro cups, etc), and how much help you will have.

First time out, too many choices can confuse some people - Limit choice and "tell" them what they should order.

A small line is not bad to have consistently, but a long line deters some people. If you are "introducing" good BBQ to the area, I would go slowly, and sell what I know.

I would also not be afraid to run out - Sends the message to the friend that gave you the space that your food is good, and creates a buzz that people missed out on your food, and they'll want to come back and try it (or buy it again).

Good Luck - Sounds like fun!

Old 04-19-2010, 01:43 AM   #4
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with C Rocke. I also agree with his use of squeeze bottles of BBQ sauce. This will eliminate the cost of the 2 ounce containers. I have a small shelf just outside my serving window with the squeeze bottles----many people do not use any sauce. I also agree with the bottled water ---we sell more water than any soda brand--and cost is less.

When you are ready to sell sides I would think twice about anything containing mayonaise. I worry about it here because summer temperatures are around 100 degrees and mayonaise can be a problem. Your weather may be such that it isn't a problem. Let us know how it goes.
Chuckwagonbbqco is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post

When you are ready to sell sides I would think twice about anything containing mayonaise. I worry about it here because summer temperatures are around 100 degrees and mayonaise can be a problem. Your weather may be such that it isn't a problem. Let us know how it goes.
That is actually a myth.
There is no danger with foods containing Mayonnaise ...such as potato
salad, and macaroni salad.
These foods are actually safer mixed with Mayonnaise than if they were
served as plain potatoes or just macaroni (without Mayo)

Unless of course you use homemade Mayo.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I would suggest that you limit your sides to two easy ones like beans and slaw. Brisket and pulled pork are long cooked meats and can be held for a long time so they are good choices. The chicken is problematic because of cross-contamination issues but leg quarters are profitable so you will have to decide if you want to wait until you have things dialed in to offer chicken. You might want to ask the customers if they want chicken on the menu. Everyone can do chicken, at least they think they can, pulled pork and brisket are beyond most backyarders so they are good choices. I can tell you that if I go to a BBQ joint the last thing I want is chicken. You may add ribs later instead of chicken. Squirt bottles, fewer choices in sodas (drop the Mt. Dew, Crush and Dr. Pepper) and add water.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

On the Mayo issue. You are correct, but the public will shy away from mayo in the heat so you will have more leftovers than necessary.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think for the first time out your WAY overcooking unless you can properly handle leftovers.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Jerk Pit Master
Knows what a fatty is.

What C Rocke says.

Like most, you are way too optimistic on number of customers, unless youve spent thousands marketing and also have great signage.

Start simple and small and build up. People have get used to seeing you there for a while, before business picks up.

What are your hours?

50 customers is probably more realistic.

Good luck!
Jerk Pit Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

All good advice, it is nice to have a place to ask experienced people like you all. I am going to drop the chicken and ask if they would like to see it on the menu. I'm gonna cook 10 to 12 butts and one brisket. Cut the sides down to baked beans, cole slaw, mac salad. Drinks I'll do pepsi, diet and water. The temps here are not hot, good advice on the mayo but it does not worry me. I am putting all cold sides into 4oz styrofoam containers and store in the refrigerator, then pull each container as needed. As for the sauce, do you find that you will use more sauce if you let the customer squeeze away? I was figuring 2oz per sandwich, how much sauce should I figure on making based on say 100 sandwiches sold and letting the customer squeeze away?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you offer more than 1 style sauce? If not, keep the squeeze bottles INSIDE and you handle portion control. Many of my customers don't want sauce (until they try it)

Sounds as if you have a mobile set-up?
Michigan State Lead-Operation BBQ Relief
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

I have a sweet sauce and a vinegar sauce and the vinegar is more popular.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 AM   #13
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Where exactly will you be set up? I drive down to my old stomping grounds occasionally (Amherst) and would be willing to cross the mountain to pay a visit and enjoy some good food.

medium spice, gatorpit entertainer, gatorpit party, redhead, uds

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

Armor, we will be setting up in Lexington on Nelson St (rt. 60) right beside Kroger on Nelson St. Service Center Parking Lot. But it now looks like it will be next weekend Saturday May 1st. Was supposed to get a HD Inspection tomorrow and was checking over things today and found the water connectors that Lowes said would work (and I thought would not but could not find better at the time) are leaking so I had to postpone the inspection and they can't come until next week. That also gives me time to get caught up on all my beekeeping and grass before the BBQ madness begins

Old 04-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
Utahslo-smoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have been doing office gigs for a while now( fully legal but not allowed to vend on the street in my county). I would suggest using wide mouth if you can find them bottles in 12oz. its a pain to refill them however, if someone walks off with one its cheaper to replace, and they don't get much. Also around here anyhow, I have noticed that with a smaller bottle people use less. No one wants to be the guy that finished it off. If i use a 16oz bottle they will use it all, with a 12 oz bottle the same group uses half, even with a second botle on the table.
Utahslo-smoke is offline   Reply With Quote