MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #13111
Bigfish8
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Ken

I typically try to control the drum tempt around 250, + or - 20 degrees, for most of my cooks and I have never used a water pan. I have never grilled on the drum or had it above 300 as I have other equipment for high tempt cooking/grilling. Maybe I will just light her up, raise the coal basket to the high level and give her a good high tempt burn-out this coming weekend.

I would like to add that I also own a Grill Dome and Pellet Grill which I have and do infrequently use for low and slow cooks. Honestly, for no other reason, I just prefer the taste of the food from the drum.

Thanks again,

Ken
Bigfish8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #13112
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish8 View Post
Hello:

I joined (accepted to) the site yesterday and have signed-up for a subscription this morning. I, as many of you, own/use several pieces of outdoor grilling/smoking equipment. My drum smoker is a made from a stainless steel drum with the Big Poppa conversion kit. Since I cannot conduct searches here yet, I have a question and I hope this is the appropriate location.

The bottom-side of my drum lid gets a build-up of a black, greasy, tar-like yuk (best description I can give it). We built a smoker for a friend who used a mild steel drum with the same Big Poppa kit. The bottom side of his lid does not get the yuk build-up. Both drums get used a lot (butts, chicken, ribs, prime rib and brisket). Do you think I am getting the build-up because of the difference in the medal of the drums or is the under the lid build-up considered normal? Other than scrape it with a putty knife I have no clue how to remove it.

I have found the drum to be a very useful and excellent smoker. For me, it requires just the right amount of attention - not set it and forget it but also not demanding once it gets to tempt. I have cooked on it for 20 hours with single fill of charcoal.

Thanks,

Ken
Look for this at the bottom of the page.

You can search the whole site from there.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #13113
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Look for this at the bottom of the page.

You can search the whole site from there.
He won't see it yet. You have to have an X amount of posts to search. I think it is like 25 or 50, I can't remember. This prevents newly signed peeps from spamming the board.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #13114
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarbecue View Post
He won't see it yet. You have to have an X amount of posts to search. I think it is like 25 or 50, I can't remember. This prevents newly signed peeps from spamming the board.
I've used the search bar without signing in on someone else's computer a number of times to get a recipe for them.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #13115
Bigfish8
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
I've used the search bar without signing in on someone else's computer a number of times to get a recipe for them.
Nope, not available to me yet. Hopefully soon as I did pay for a subscription this morning.

Thanks,
Bigfish8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-14-2018, 05:41 PM   #13116
MeridianBlades
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by el luchador View Post
looking good meridian, looking GOOD
Thanks man I appreciate the kind words...
MeridianBlades is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #13117
MeridianBlades
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Larry

Quote:
I cant believe I didn't post this here.

this is the graph of a 26 hour pork butt I did, just for giggles.

I filled the firebox half full with briquettes. firebox is 12"high, 17" diameter.

after 26 hours(22hours at 180°, 4.5hours at 200°) it still had almost half the lump charcoal left unburned

cooking direct over the coals is VERY efficient. I wouldn't be surprised if its as efficient as, or more efficient than , a kamado with a plate setter.

Heatermeter kept temps ROCK SOLID

WOW !!!! that is nuts.....
MeridianBlades is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 03:42 AM   #13118
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Any tips to keep the lid from sticking to the drum? During a cook I shut it to prevent any leaks. This creates a really tight seal. With the size and weight of my 110 gallon lid, it’s like using all my might to lift King Arthur’s sword. Most of the time I have to use a step stool for additional leverage.

Maybe a gasket on the rim of the lid?

Old 02-15-2018, 04:06 AM   #13119
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Tweak/bend out the bottom outside edge of the lid slightly. All the way around. Just enough so the lid still sits firmly on the drum but the rolled edge isn't so tight causing your problem.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2018, 06:19 AM   #13120
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

When I still had my flat top UDS (sold it -miss it), sometimes I had to use the end of a pair of tongs to break the seal. I loved that unit- and wish like hell my new stainless one had been open top. I like the room the weber lid gives, but would trade it in a heartbeat for a snug fitting lid.

If you want it ez, open the lip a bit like Ebijack suggested. I might opt to rig some sort of seal break on the leading edge of the lid- would easy to do.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:22 AM   #13121
el luchador
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : EL Luchador

Is there still rubber stuff on the lid around the rim? That stuff is like how when it gets warm

Old 02-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #13122
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Since I have been planing at some point on building myself a new UDS without all the mods I had made over the years to test things. I decided to take my old coal/wood burning UDS and turn it into a stubby before I build anything new. Just to try it out first using coal/wood and burning pure wood splits.
Before

Stubby version
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #13123
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Is there still rubber stuff on the lid around the rim? That stuff is like how when it gets warm

I used my weed burner to melt all the glue from the original gasket and scooped it out prior to using the lid.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #13124
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Diffuser question:
Currently i use a 12 or 14 inch pizza pan with hole drilled in it. I think it's working fine but could be better. Its on my second grill grate located on the lower rings in a big popper smoker that is used to raise the basket up for grilling...
I was thinking of added some expanded metal to make by basket taller (for longer cooks). would it be better to just lay my holed diffuser right on the top rim of my basket? hansaker style minus the fans.
Think that will give more even cooking temps all around my drum? Then I could also use that lower grate to cook on, or do you think it will be too hot even with the difuser on the basket?
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #13125
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

You may be better off just using some aluminum flashing to increase the height of your charcoal basket. You don’t necessarily need holes on the side of the basket if you have enough air drawing in from the bottom. Just buy a $8 roll of flashing and let it unravel inside the basket. It will naturally create a cylinder. They come in 12” or 18” in height and are 10’ feet long. Enough thickness to support a diffuser plate.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker