Work horse pits stick burner or Moberg 250

What’s your eta?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I originally contacted them on the 2nd I was told that the ship date would be 3/9 for a 1975. I decided to go the trailer route but didn’t ask if/how it would affect that lead time.

When I originally contacted them on the 2nd I was told that the ship date would be 3/9 for a 1975. I decided to go the trailer route but didn’t ask if/how it would affect that lead time.

I almost ask for an ETA when I'm spending $10 in a drive thru. Can't imagine dropping this kind of coin without asking when I will get what I paid for.

Was thinking of replacing my current trailer with a 1975-T but it's 8" wider and my garage is already too cramped. Trying to save space not take it away. Bummer...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Called Workhorse today with a few questions. Turns out JD (the owner) was answering phones. We wound up talking pits for 40 minutes. What a nice guy! I definitely made the right choice.

Did you find out anything not addressed on the website? Also were you able to get an ETA? I was told my trailer would take just 6 days longer than they quoted me on the regular 1975.

Was thinking of replacing my current trailer with a 1975-T but it's 8" wider and my garage is already too cramped. Trying to save space not take it away. Bummer...

You are just cheap....... garage space too cramped... ha ha :razz:

Did you find out anything not addressed on the website? Also were you able to get an ETA? I was told my trailer would take just 6 days longer than they quoted me on the regular 1975.

Mine should ship on 3/18. I had some questions not addressed on the site. He was more than happy to answer any questions I had.

I'd certainly be interested to know some of those answers as well. I am looking at a stick burner come March or so and love the look of the Workhorse Pit as well as the Shirley Fab 24x36. I've cooked on a Lang 48 before and understand the purpose of reverse flow and how it cooks. Interested to see how these Workhorses do in the hands of some folks and get some real life pics and possibly videos.

Were you thinking about replacing your Shirley or another pit with a Workhorse?

I was asking about split sizes and if the raw pit would rust outside without a cover. He told me that the raw pit is coated in linseed oil and he has one that’s been outside for 6 months without a speck of rust. It’s only been treated with Linseed oil once. As far as splits go, he recommends cutting a full size in half and then splitting that. We also discussed water pan theories and spritzing. That was more of a back and forth discussion rather than a solid Q&A.

Were you thinking about replacing your Shirley or another pit with a Workhorse?
The shirley. I'd like a smaller shirley but not the patio model. I'd really jump if the claims to cook faster could be verified. I just don't need a pit big enough to cook 20-30 briskets anymore.

I'm in the boat of wanting a pit bigger than my 24x48, but don't really need a 250 gallon. I just saw this morning on IG that John Lewis is experimenting with a 120 gallon home/patio model. That will have my interest piqued for sure!

I'm in the boat of wanting a pit bigger than my 24x48, but don't really need a 250 gallon. I just saw this morning on IG that John Lewis is experimenting with a 120 gallon home/patio model. That will have my interest piqued for sure!
I really like John and his pits but that is gonna be expensive. [emoji22]

I was asking about split sizes and if the raw pit would rust outside without a cover. He told me that the raw pit is coated in linseed oil and he has one that’s been outside for 6 months without a speck of rust. It’s only been treated with Linseed oil once. As far as splits go, he recommends cutting a full size in half and then splitting that. We also discussed water pan theories and spritzing. That was more of a back and forth discussion rather than a solid Q&A.

I asked a similar question via email concerning the linseed coating/rust. I was told by Ashley (pretty sure she's JD's wife) that both the linseed finish and the powder coat will eventually start to rust. She did say that reapplications would help with the linseed version. I was also talking to a fella here in Indy that cooks on a Primitive Pit and he suggested using rendered tallow to add a protective coating versus linseed.

I asked a similar question via email concerning the linseed coating/rust. I was told by Ashley (pretty sure she's JD's wife) that both the linseed finish and the powder coat will eventually start to rust. She did say that reapplications would help with the linseed version. I was also talking to a fella here in Indy that cooks on a Primitive Pit and he suggested using rendered tallow to add a protective coating versus linseed.

JD said the same thing, that eventually they both would start to rust. But like I said above, he’s got a linseed coated pit outside for 6 months with no rust and only the initial linseed coating.

I've gotta wonder if it's regular linseed oil vs. boiled linseed oil. Boiled linseed oil has some nasty stuff in it. Regular is the same as flaxseed oil. It's going on the outside it probably doesn't matter, but still I have to wonder.

I'd like to see one of the Workhorse pits in action. I've seen their bigger 250 & 500 gallon pits a couple of times on YouTube, but none of the smaller ones. I like JD and the videos he's done, but they need to step up their social media game.

I'd like to see one of the Workhorse pits in action. I've seen their bigger 250 & 500 gallon pits a couple of times on YouTube, but none of the smaller ones. I like JD and the videos he's done, but they need to step up their social media game.

I’ll post a ton as soon as I get it.

Back