MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: Do you cooking with water in your smoker?
Yes 85 62.50%
No 39 28.68%
No, I fill it with another substance 12 8.82%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #16
jrben1
On the road to being a farker

Always use water. Have owned nothing but water smokers last 14 years.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

On every BarrelSmoker that leaves here there is a water pan which is mainly recomended to fill with concentrated fruit juice for the first third of the cook then switch to straight water unless adding fresh product then use juice again, same way. It's not a distinct ready obivious taste, but it's just a subtle twist that plain water doesn't add. I figure if were using fluid why not. It doesn't add that much cost when using frozen concentrates. Not worth using bottled diluted juice products. Also in our 55's were using a 3 gallon pan ,sometimes a 2 gallon one and rarely but sometimes a 2 gallon filled half full with clean play sand and lined with foil. It all depends on the cooker and airflow is very important to the puzzle. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #18
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Used the water pan in my WSM once. Never again. I have a foiled terra cotta base there to help as a heat sink.

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just a foiled water pan in the WSM and I have foil balls covered with foil (for easy cleanup) in the BW Chubby. My decision had more to do with the fact that I'm a lazy bastige and hate cleaning more so than performance or results considerations. Works great though.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #20
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Forgot to add the we spray olive oil or grill type cooking oil on the pan to make cleaning very easy after using. Using a ss scrub ball takes only seconds with some warm soapy water. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #21
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I use water in the water pan of my Humphrey's religiously.... I figured the engineer added the water pan for a reason, why fix what isn't broken....
I didn't know Chad was into trains.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #22
ggee6688

After the smoker cools, I use a old snow windshield scraper to clear the gunk out of the pan. It works great.
22.5 WSM
Weber Performer Platinum
Stoker setup
FIRE
ggee6688 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #23
T-Man
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Med. Spicewine… I use water as designed ..results are great..

Old 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM   #24
rumpunch
Got Wood.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
For me, most of the time, in an insulated cabinet smoker. I float a second pan on top of the water. This mostly to avoid a greasy water mess to dispose of.

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?
rumpunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #25
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

I actually add beer and other stuff to my water pan in the WSM... Not sure if it adds much flavor, but it sure does smell good!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #26
samuel
Got rid of the matchlight.

I always use a pan of water. I have used other liquids. I smoke in a Keg so I find the moisture content helpful especially with fish and and poultry.
samuel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
finzlft

I use sand in mine as a heat sink. I cover it with a sheet of foil for easy clean up.
finzlft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #28
beetle
Found some matches.

Water just seems to keep the mositure up when doing a slow smoke.
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #29
rocko76
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Water just seems to help keep that moisture in the meat.
rocko76 is offline   Reply With Quote