MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #1
stepandfetch
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Second attempt at traditional North Carolina pit firing

So I bought a 9 pound pork shoulder at one of the few butcher shops around here yesterday. I used a rub mainly consisting of paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and no sugar (to avoid bitter bark.) I rubbed the rub in at about 5:00 AM and it took about two hours for the pit to heat up. I used about 90% Shagbark Hickory that I split about 6 months ago. The wood has been seasoned for about a year. The other 10% was mostly red oak. The shoulder went on at 6:45, and it came off after about 8.5 hours. I kept the temperatures bobbing around the 210-220 mark, and often let it fall below 200, just to increase the amount of smokiness in the meat. I used a Lexington-style finishing sauce, which was mostly pepper flakes, brown sugar, a little ketchup, and a lot of cider vinegar. Anyway, the meat was terrific- not too smoky, very juicy, and far more flavorful than my first attempt.
I do not pull pork... in North Carolina, we beat the tar out of our barbecue with a cleaver, and I much prefer the coarse chop over "pulled pork." Not to say that one is better than the other, its just what I prefer.

oh yea, one more thing- thanks for the help Bludog! I will use that rub again for sure.

Without further ado, here are the pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpRhnLVgPM.jpg (45.6 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg phpLkyKj7PM.jpg (33.9 KB, 554 views)
File Type: jpg phprV3gAAPM.jpg (27.2 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg phpdjbi6XPM.jpg (33.8 KB, 550 views)
File Type: jpg phpqmoDgAPM.jpg (31.3 KB, 548 views)
File Type: jpg phprqevMlPM.jpg (47.2 KB, 546 views)

Last edited by stepandfetch; 07-01-2012 at 12:32 AM..
stepandfetch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well I'd hit that! I've been wanting to do a brick or cinderblock pit.

Are you burning down to coals and shoveling into the cooker or are you feeding logs directly into the cooker?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
stepandfetch

You ought to try it! The cinderblocks cost about 45 bucks, the expanded metal and wood were both free! I used play sand for foundation and to keep the heat in by dumping it in the blocks.

One warning- use a level and make sure the first row is as perfectly level as possible. If it isn't you will certainly notice later on. If I did this all over again, I would also probably use gravel rather than sand for the foundation.

I used that shovel to move fresh coals from the fire to the pit. Its a pain when it is so hot outside but its more than worth it. When the logs burn down, many impurities burn off in puffs of white smoke, leaving coals that only produce thin blue smoke (or no smoke at all.)

Oh and if you can't tell, we ate the que with baked beans, corn bread, and watermelon. What is in the metal dish was my serving.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #4
gtr

Oh - just noticed the pic of the burndown pit - I should have known!

There's a space in our yard where my sons have a fort. I've got my eye on that spot for when they get too old for it. I'm sure my lovely wife has her eye on it too. It'll be an interesting conversation when the time comes.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:38 AM   #5
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Way cool! Cooking in a pit is fun and produces some great food. I cooked a suckling pig in mine and had a great time doing it. Keep at it.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
stepandfetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post

There's a space in our yard where my sons have a fort. I've got my eye on that spot for when they get too old for it. I'm sure my lovely wife has her eye on it too. It'll be an interesting conversation when the time comes.
haha yea enjoy that. I wanted to build this pit right next to the house, so I wouldn't have to walk far at night to re-fire the pit every 45 minutes, yet after many "negotiations" here it sits at the farthest corner of the property, next to the woods, yellowjackets, copperheads, etc.

That reminds me- with this traditional technique, you must add a shovelful of coals every half hour or so. The beauty of having coals right under the meat is that when the fat, collagen, connective tissues, etc burns off, it drips down into the coals, and then steam/ smoke drifts back up to the meat- this adds great flavor which you would miss with drip pans.

Last edited by stepandfetch; 07-01-2012 at 01:11 AM..

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

So is that a cardboard tent over the meat??

Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
jestridge

Looks great,
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #9
Enkidu
Take a breath!

Quote:

Be prepared to lose that battle.

Just sayin'
Enkidu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Great lookin' pork there & very informative about your cinderblock pit.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
gtr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
Be prepared to lose that battle.

Just sayin'
She has negotiating powers I am unable to resist, and nor would I care to resist.
WTFWGALD?

Old 07-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
stepandfetch

Quote:
She has negotiating powers I am unable to resist, and nor would I care to resist.
you don't have a chance. Beware, some may view a cinder block pit as an eyesore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeWatcher View Post
So is that a cardboard tent over the meat??
Yep- it helps keep the ashes away from the bark. When you move the coals around or add coals, if it is done too hastily, you will stir up a lot of ash.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #13
Bludawg

Stepandfetch I'm glad it all worked out. I like your pit area and it proves what I have always said it "aint the pit it is the pitmaster"! You don't need a high dollar pit to make awesome eats. You went and made me hungry I need to break into my food saver stash for lunch.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
stepandfetch

A high dollar pit wouldn't exactly be following tradition. I believe every single restaurant pit in the state is either brick or block.