MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Default Really Frustrated Today.

I'm smoking about 10lbs of chuck on my COS for dinner at my Brother's tonight. My Niece worships my smoked meats and I love to cook for her. She's just an awesome gal but the problem is she gets migraines if I use fruit or oak wood. So bad she has to go to the emergency room. So I told her I would only use mesquite. Well trying to find a decent supply of mesquite in Idaho is a challenge. All the brands of lump I've tried are really stubborn and hard to get burning good. I bought some mesquite logs from a sporting goods place here but the are so dry they burn up in nothing flat. The chunks from Walmart and other places also burn fast because they are small. I'm chasing the temps all over the place. Rant over!
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Try a Mexican market for mesquite lump.

I light the blue bag in a chimney. Then add to lump.

Sorry to suggest this, but she may just not like Bbq. If so, she must really like you to try to spare your feelings.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm wondering if there are any other variables to look at for causing the migraines. Is there a certain rub or rub ingredient that might be triggering the migraines? Is there a good brand of briqs you could use? They burn cooler than lump, but they are consistent.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry, I'm so flustered I can't think strait. I won't try to figure out why she gets the headaches and it most definitely isn't that she doesn't like my BBQ. She eats it no matter how I make it and brags all over FB about it. She told me today she's all stocked up on her meds. It's just this damn smoker. With a full load of lump, chunks and a couple of logs it won't get over 200 degrees. I'm guessing it's because the wind picked up but not really that much. I have a pallet with a drop cloth near the intake to block the wind. Nothing is working. I'm going to mothball it till spring and finish my UDS so I can start the learning process all over. Sorry for ranting.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's all good man, you ain't the first and you won't be the last to rant here.

You have all vents all the way open when you're cooking?

Anyway - you're probably making the right decision right now - it's about a nice time with family more so than anything else. BBQing is great and all, but as far as I'm concerned the real attraction is time spent with family and loved ones and nothing should get in the way of that.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks gtr. I just watched my two Grand daughters open some gifts. Took my mind off of the crap. I just need to learn to pick my battles. This smoker and me don't get along in cold weather. It works a lot better with briquettes and chunks but I figure I might as well use a drum smoker if I use briquettes. My Son gave me the offset so I wanted to give it a chance but it's kicking my butt. In better weather and with local fruit wood it works great. I plan to have a merry Christmas and I hope you all do too.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Methinks once ya get used to the UDS ya won't look back! Merry Christmas either way!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Methinks once ya get used to the UDS ya won't look back! Merry Christmas either way!!
Maybe I should pull that fire box off, plug the hole and have a nice charcoal grill LOL

Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #9
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i found rather quickly that my wife and i can't do apple smoke. not sure on other ones but pecan is just fine for us. my wife is allergic to almost anything so i have to be carefull. oak seems ok so far. i plain don't like mesquite nor hickory chunks for smoke. have you tried doing a que without any smoke at all ?

Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Well, despite all my troubles the meat got raves. My Nephew who says exactly what he thinks was emphatic about how good he thought it was. I let my Niece and him take home the leftovers although there wasn't much left.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
have you tried doing a que without any smoke at all ?
Not for her.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Glad it all worked out for ya, despite the troubles.

What kind of COS is it? I know that my NBBD doesn't work too well in the cold weather. We mainly use it as a grill, more so than an offset smoker.

Get that UDS made, and don't look back.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

Apple wood while its smoking messes me up bad headaches. I moved to cherry and pecan they are the only 2 that do not screw with my sinuses...

Old 12-25-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Sorry to hear the complications you're dealing with.
Have you ruled out the ingredients from the rubs you are using?

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote