Monster Corned Beef Patramization (lots of pics)

One of the benefits of working at home is that I can fire up a cooker and cook during the day. One of the disadvantages is that I am at the whim of my calendar :( I had a telepresence call scheduled right after I foiled the pastrami, but it was only supposed to last for 30 minutes, so I figured I would be able to catch one of the chunks when it was in the 170s. Well, the meeting ended up going to 90 minutes and when I went out to check the internal temp they were both in the high 190s! I let them go until they hit 200 and they are now resting. I'll pop them in the garage fridge shortly and ignore them until it's time to slice for dinner.

More pictures later :-D

One of the benefits of working at home is that I can fire up a cooker and cook during the day. One of the disadvantages is that I am at the whim of my calendar :( I had a telepresence call scheduled right after I foiled the pastrami, but it was only supposed to last for 30 minutes, so I figured I would be able to catch one of the chunks when it was in the 170s. Well, the meeting ended up going to 90 minutes and when I went out to check the internal temp they were both in the high 190s! I let them go until they hit 200 and they are now resting. I'll pop them in the garage fridge shortly and ignore them until it's time to slice for dinner.
I hate when that happens. At least neither of them got burnt!

It's all about the slice.

cooked to 200 will cause a thin slice (cut on slicer) to fall apart.
I prefer to pull at ~170 & steam before serving (like Guerry said).

Sliced thin against the grain will make it very tender even at 170F. :thumb:
Me x 3
:hungry: thanks Ron!

Very curious to see the results. I'm guessing the 170-ish piece will be best sliced very thin, and the 200 piece sliced like a smoked brisket 3/8" thick.

Here's the rest of the story...

I took the pastrami out of the fridge after about 4 hours and sliced it. I have a Chef's Choice model 610 slicer that I bought a while ago with a gift certificate from Cabelas. It does a good job, but it's not very heavy duty. I had to give it a rest a couple of times while slicing.

I sliced across the grain at almost the thinnest setting and the slices held together very well.

64f1dd39.jpg

We vac-u-sucked most of it in 10 oz packages. That's enough for two hearty rueben sandwiches. We ended up with three packages for the freezer and kept back about 3/4 pound for tonight's dinner and a sandwich for Parsley Lady for lunch one day.

For the Ruebens I used fresh marble rye from a local bakery, swiss cheese and sour kraut and I cooked them on my stove top griddle.

3ba24f34.jpg

888c7e94.jpg

We ate it with some fresh slaw (no pics, it's just shredded cabbage and carrots with a slaw dressing :-D)

The pastrami was very tender and had a great flavor. Now that I've used the Beas Best brand I think I would go with a 24 hour soak instead of 48 hours. The pastrami could have used a little more salt.

So, in summary, Brethren and Sisthren...

This did not suck! :becky:

That is a beautiful looking sandwich. Thank you for sharing. I'll try 1 this weekend. :)

Fantastic! I need to get on the pastrami train.

Great stuff - thanks for putting it up!

Very curious to see the results. I'm guessing the 170-ish piece will be best sliced very thin, and the 200 piece sliced like a smoked brisket 3/8" thick.

+1. Agreed

I guess you guys missed this post... :-D

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1903969&postcount=22

I got tied up in a meeting and both ended up going to 200.

As you can see from the pictures above, they sliced perfectly, even after being cooked to 200.

Back