MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Default Like the feedback!!

Ok, I'm really liking the feedback I'm reading from folks. Some of the guys I see on a regular basis have seen my boxes, and vice versa, but I like the idea of getting perspective from everyone. I think Jeff attempted to start a Box gallery idea once before... I know some folks dont like to share thier presentation, but it might be worth considering again - A box gallery thread in the comp forum?

OK, having said that... here are some good and not so good boxes (IMO) of mine. Let's here some scoring/input folks. Sorry if it's getting old... 6 boxes, let me know what ya think.... PLEASE!!!
S3700086.jpg

S3700087.jpg

S3700088.jpg

S3700043.JPG

Brisket slices.JPG

S3700045.JPG

Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #2
n-2-que
is one Smokin' Farker

all i can say is YUmmm
Cooker
CookShack- Fec100
BGE - Extra Large with Table
Weber- 22 inch Kettle

Old 04-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Andy,

Chicken (9) like it a lot. Very solid. I'm sure some will say too much sauce or one pc in upper right looks a bit more cooked or gooped up sauce but that's a good box (like the first chicken box better..like the larger pieces..more appetizing upon first look.

Ribs (7- 8 )Garish is nice but ribs look too big to fit all six nicely.. Not particularly crazy about the color & looks a bit heavy on the sauce..Could be totally off, but that was my first impression.

Pork (7-8 for box 1) Too much happening in that box.. A bit dry... I like the bark slices but it dominates the box... too much black bark...can't see the slices at all.

Similar with the second pork box (6-7) .. the dark bark dominates the visual for me...Does not look appealing but dry..

Brisket (5-6) looks a bit sloppy..
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Andy, im not a judge so I will just say it all looks really awesome 8's and 9's except the last pork pic. But im sure you already knew that...

P.S. Serious Question........

I should know the answer to this but im swallowing my pride asking anyway. I have never been able to get my chicken to hold the shape like you have in your pics. If anyone cares to answer, how do i do it? I cook skin on-bone in thighs. I trim the excess fat and skin from the underside then toothpic the skin underneath to keep it from shrinking but the shape still looks like a thigh. Should I be rolling the thigh into shape and toothpicking the actual meat or what? And if I roll the meat underneath does it take longer to cook? Thanks guys!

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
Andy, im not a judge so I will just say it all looks really awesome 8's and 9's except the last pork pic. But im sure you already knew that...

P.S. Serious Question........

I should know the answer to this but im swallowing my pride asking anyway. I have never been able to get my chicken to hold the shape like you have in your pics. If anyone cares to answer, how do i do it? I cook skin on-bone in thighs. I trim the excess fat and skin from the underside then toothpic the skin underneath to keep it from shrinking but the shape still looks like a thigh. Should I be rolling the thigh into shape and toothpicking the actual meat or what? And if I roll the meat underneath does it take longer to cook? Thanks guys!
#1. Start with the smallest ones you can find - no teryadactyl thighs.
#2. Trim all the fat lines that are on the meat - under each end of the skin is usually a deposit of fat, and one on the smaller end.
#3. Then Trim off all "nubs" - extra bone fragments, unclean cuts from the meat shop on the ends, etc.
#4. Finally trim the meat for uniformity.
#5. Notice I have not trimmed any of the skin. I wrap the skin around it - to allow for shrinkage, then trim it when they are done, and ready to go into the pan for finishing. Then I dont have to toothpick the skin. If the skin gets torn, or has other issues, then I have to use toothpicks as you mentioned.

I'd be happy to show you sometime.... or you might get better advice from some perenial chicken studs like the Meatheads or even one of thier diciples, like Jeff_in_KC.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:09 AM   #6
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Thanks Andy, you da man!

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 07:59 AM   #7
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

So what were the scores you received?

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

Here goes and remember we can't see the actual boxes and the lighting thing, etc.

1st box - Looks fine except a little too much sauce and would proly looked better if they were smaller................8

2nd box - Too much suace and sauce on the cut side (never though much about that till the last couple day of watching the post here and I now believe it would be better to show the meat on the cut side)...................................9

3rd box - Nothing particularly wrong about this box except it kinda don't turn me on and looks kinda mixed up or something.......................................7

4th box - The one in the middle kinda takes alway from the over all but still looks good enough for....................7

5th box - Too wide and big and they have an uneven paint job and kinda looks like in too big a hurray and didn't get a slice or two layed in there as well as it coulda been...........6

EDIT (bout to forget the last box) - the color of the bark looks so dark it looks burnt and the box looks like one that not much effort was made to make it what it was and this is one of them "might be the lighting" things.............6

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
Bentley
Babbling Farker

From top to bottom

Ck-7 To much sauce, 2 pieces are burnt. The garnish looks great, will tell my sis to steel that presentation tip!

Rb-8 After reading comments on this forum I guess I should say the ribs are cut uneven size and slightly burnt, but WTF, sorry, they look good!

Pk-7 Sorry, and I know I am gonnna take heat for this as a CBJ, box is to full!

Ck 2- 8 Either your box is twice the size we get to use or thoses are Dove thighs! I do not know how you get 9 fricken pieces in one of our boxes!

Bk- 5 Below average looking brisket, it looks ratty, nuff said.

Pk 2- 8 Hey this may have been a mistake box, I don't know, but the contrast of the meat and the bark on that stark white background, I dug it! Again way to full for me but a unique presentation overcame that objection!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Chicken - 7... Looks good overall, but 2 pieces look a bit burned, and sauce looks too heavy.

Ribs - 8... Look good, but cuts could be more even, just sharper. Not really a hit on them, just that having good parallel cuts would have gotten a 9, IMO.

pork - 7-8... Nothing wrong with it offhand, but it doesn't scream at me to take a bite.

2nd chicken, same as first... a lot of extra space, too. But too much sauce.

Brisket - 6... Looks dry, slices aren't that evenly spaced out. Very splotchy sauce or rub on the slices.

Pork 2 - 8 - Looks a bit dark, but appealing overall. Nice use of no garnish.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #11
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here are my non-CBJ thoughts:

1. 8-Nice presentation. Everyone already mentioned too much sauce and the burnt piece.

2. 7-The ribs look good. Only knocks are uneven cuts (I'd be mad if I got the skinny rib) and I would turn the ribs a bit so I could hva garnish around all of the corners.

3. 6-The sliced pork looks raggedy.

4. 7-I would make the garnish to the left of the single thigh look more full like the right side.

5. 6-The slices are uneven. I would take all of the slices from the same part of the brisket. And even iusing aujus instead of sauce, I would brush it or dip the slice on so it is even across the slice.

6. 8-I like the full box with nothing but meat. It says i don't need to dress up my meat. It stands on it's own.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote