MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

feeesh, there is always tilapia

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-09-2014, 03:05 PM   #17
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Pork will be going up as well very soon. There's a shortage in the production vs demand as of right now. I know producers that are getting calls offering three times what they have contracted their hogs for.
Across the board, all feed prices are going to go up, as corn goes, so goes all grain. And again, there will be no CA wheat, corn, rice, alfalfa crops.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #18
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I need to buy a cheap rifle and learn how to hunt and kill myself a 500 pound animal .. then have enough meat for a year.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Pork will be going up as well very soon. There's a shortage in the production vs demand as of right now. I know producers that are getting calls offering three times what they have contracted their hogs for.

Beef and pork prices will drive up demand for chicken. New chicken houses going up all over the place here in NC, almost all of them broiler houses. Of course they have to be fed too. IN my experience, the retail price of bacon is affected first for pork so if you see bacon going up, fresh pork will soon follow!

Old 02-09-2014, 03:08 PM   #20
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

I think the demand for chicken has gone up, not because it is the preferred meat of choice, but because people simply can't afford beef.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Very true Bob and tarheel, it's a commodities market and with changing weather patterns and droughts there will be major fluctuations in the availability of feed products which will in turn affect the meat markets.

But at least the new farm bill will cover food stamps and lower our subsidies.

Watch how high prices are yet to be, the markets haven't seen anything yet

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #22
landarc

Um, the new farm bill reduced food stamps.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #23
Diesel Dave

But it pays for them. Never before has the farmer had to grow the food and pay for the people eating it. They were reduced by 1%, so is that really a reduction? Do you realize how many Billions are put into that program?

We better watch it this may get moved to N&P

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 02-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #24
landarc

Items such as pork bellies (bacon) are commodities, because they are the harbinger of meat prices. When you see pork bellies rise in price, it is a signifier that there is less pork on the market and the price will rise. This is largely related to feed prices, as most pork is 100% reliant on manufactured feed. Same for corn and wheat, they are so integral to the grain market, and meat markets, they are the items to watch.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #25
Diesel Dave

Very true and a good point there

Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
landarc

Quote:
But it pays for them. Never before has the farmer had to grow the food and pay for the people eating it. They were reduced by 1%, so is that really a reduction? Do you realize how many Billions are put into that program?

We better watch it this may get moved to N&P
Effective reduction in purchasing power, if you do not increase the amount of 'money' available, as prices rise, food still becomes more scarce.

We can go to N&P, and I can tell you why I don't believe in SNAP, even as a Liberal Californian. But, in terms of how it affects food prices, fewer government dollars will mean less consumption, means higher prices as well.

I love tofu, I love tofu

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 02-09-2014, 03:36 PM   #27
Diesel Dave

Very true.
But my point was more along the lines of the food stamp moneys have taken away our subsidies. Drastically at that.
That's why it took 2 years to pass this farm bill. We've been riding along on the other one because of the food stamp issue.

I may have to join you fellas there in N&P

Old 02-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #28
Westcoast Redneck
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Across the board, all feed prices are going to go up, as corn goes, so goes all grain. And again, there will be no CA wheat, corn, rice, alfalfa crops.
Ther will be some..... Imperial valley still has water...... But it's going to get expensive!
Westcoast Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #29
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Um, the new farm bill reduced food stamps.
a 1% reduction is hardly a reduction...

Old 02-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #30
DaSmokin'Chili
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
California is in a significant drought, and due to a lot of people not wanting to admit it, there are going to be significant losses to the agricultural industry in CA. I am betting that almost all of the herds will be down to minimal/zero head within 3 to 4 months. There is just no water.
Your in northern Cal and I don't know where your water comes from, but in SoCal I know they get a lot of water from Lake Mead. if you have seen the pics of the lake, its looking scary for Cali....And for idiots who are not wanting to admit it, they are part of the problem. I live in IL know there are going to be a lot more of water shortages out west in the years to come.
No water there, no cows= higher beef prices for the rest of us in the country too. Affects how much and what ill be BBQing...