MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Restaurant depot

I have seen several people mention restaurant depot in threads for some time. I looked them up and there is one within driving distance. Having never seen one, is it that much better than a wholesale club like sams/bjs/costco? I do not have a business or tax number, but do a lot of work with a non profit, so getting a membership wouldn't be an issue, i just didn't know if it would be worth the hassle, when i already have a wholesale club membership. Thanks for the help.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

I buy all my meat and other items there....The meat is so much nicer here then Sams or anywhere else.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

How are the prices?

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver

Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

IM will pigman they have small med and large ribs in singles and cases brisket in singles and cases heck all meats in singles and cases and the prices a better a lot of there prices for all things are good

Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Jaberwabee
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq lover View Post
IM will pigman they have small med and large ribs in singles and cases brisket in singles and cases heck all meats in singles and cases and the prices a better a lot of there prices for all things are good
I am going to attempt to translate to English. They carry most meats(briskets, rib roasts, strip loins) in case pack or by single cryo. The prices are lower than Sam's and I think they have varying qualities (Choice or Prime), not sure.

Now as for the small, medium and large ribs.........your guess is as good as mine, unless he means Beef ribs (large), Pork Spares (med), and Pork Baby Back (small). As I type this, I bet thats what he means,

Damn all the practice with Billy is paying off.
1 Rib Machine Chargriller Pro Hella Mod (Retired)
2 Bubba Keg (One HOT MOTHER, One LOW N SLOW)
1 22" Performer
Yoder YS-640 is the next cooking device.
Jaberwabee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 12:06 AM   #6
bbq lover
is one Smokin' Farker

sorry jab small med large is the pork ribs small bone med bone large bone witch means less or more meat big bone more weight less meat right ?lol when you got to rd look at all 3 sizes there is a price difference and meat difference as for the briskets there is a angus a choice and one other lol oh and on the ribs you can get them in IBP lights and IBP St. Louis cuts
per cut for comps

Old 02-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #7
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq lover View Post
sorry jab small med large is the pork ribs small bone med bone large bone witch means less or more meat big bone more weight less meat right ?lol when you got to rd look at all 3 sizes there is a price difference and meat difference as for the briskets there is a angus a choice and one other lol oh and on the ribs you can get them in IBP lights and IBP St. Louis cuts
per cut for comps

For rib sizes are you just talking small variations in the bone size, or is it really noticeable? Also, I know what St. Louis cut it, but what is ISP lights or ISP st luois?

Old 02-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #8
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

If it is within a reasonable driving distance it is worth the hassle, it is free if you have a Business License or a Non-Profit paperwork, it is pretty easy and only takes about 5 minutes.

Prices for meat are a bit cheaper than Sams or Costco (at least here in MI).
Becareful with the paper products, the lower priced ones are lower priced for a reason. I prefer Sams for those types of items.

Will you just be shopping for home use or for Catering or Business ??
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
bbqdano
Knows what a fatty is.

Their meat offerings are definitely higher quality than Sams and they have St. Louis cut spares which Sams does not carry. Good place to go if reasonably handy.

American BBQ Systems model All Star, CS-570 & TG-300 pellet grills, Broilmaster P3, and lastly, Superfast Red Thermapen
bbqdano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #10
billm
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Head

plus you can go in the cooler and grab your own cases..this is good if pack date is an issue for you..
there is just no comparison with Sams..Restaurant Depot has so much more to choose from meat wise as well

Alveron Cooker
Weber 26.75 inch Kettle & Summit Gold gasser
Cypriot Grill & Optimal Automatics Party Que
http://www.headsredbbq.com
billm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
mtomto
Knows what a fatty is.

How many hoops must one jump thru to get a Business License, say with the city or county of residence? Can you say you are starting a catering biz, pay a fee and get license and thats it? Or to you also have to grease a health inspector, show a p&l for renewal, etc.??? TIA!
mtomto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 08:58 AM   #12
SteevieG
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtomto View Post
How many hoops must one jump thru to get a Business License, say with the city or county of residence? Can you say you are starting a catering biz, pay a fee and get license and thats it? Or to you also have to grease a health inspector, show a p&l for renewal, etc.??? TIA!
Was curious about that as well. If you have no license can you still go the the Restaurant Depot and pay admission or buy a membership or something? There is one about 15 miles from me and I'd like to see what it's all about.

18.5" WSM
22.5 WSM
And a nice propane grill that gets very little use anymore...
SteevieG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #13
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtomto View Post

I got a card if you want to go.. I will be going sometime in March if you are interested PM me I will give you more details

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #14
heinz57
Knows what a fatty is.

This place rocks! The best part is it is not full of people woundering around aimlessly looking for free food samples. Most everyone in there shopping are pros with an agenda. Get in, get it & get out. You can even call in an order & have it waiting for you. I stopped by on Friday before Superbowl & picked up 66 slabs, 6 packers & 8 butts & a few other items, and was in & out in 30 minutes. The only thing that I have found that seems to need some improving is the check-out process. It seems that there's always some hang-up of sorts. It's like they spent all tis time & effort & money building this first-rate buisness & then went out down to the local highschool & grabbed a handfull of clueless girls to be checkers. But, I can deal wth that for all the other perks. They also have a great variety of spices & seasonings. Heck they got all kinds of stuff I don't even know what it is. Makes me wish I was a real cook.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmont View Post
I got a card if you want to go.. I will be going sometime in March if you are interested PM me I will give you more details
Hey Marty: Tell us what it takes to get a card. You get one through your church?

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote