Need to repair Imperial Kamado fire box

elizabeth

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have several cracks in my Kamado fire box rings. It's a really old one. Wondering what best to use for repair. Under what circumstances do I use each product. Saw the 2010 post using JB Weld and postings suggesting furnace cement. Need to know if these products are safe used with food. If OK then what is repair timeline to dry and go through initial heat up. Any gases to burn off, etcetera. Thanks for suggestions and help. Any other suggestions for restoration?
Liz 503-989-8993

I've seen a ton of post in here and a few specifically eggish forums. JB Weld seems to be the top choice and no reported issues.
My #5 Imperial didn't need any patching (yet)

I just went through the same thing a few weeks back with my egg. The firebox was cracked and so was the bottom half to the egg. I used JB weld on the inside and outside and feathered it out maybe an inch or so beyond the crack. Seems to be holding up ok so far. I haven't taken it above 500-600 degrees yet, I ordered a 13" pizza stone to lay underneath the firebox to act as a heat shield. Once I get that installed I'm going to test it out on a high temp cook like a pizza.

Just a side note on the JB Weld (which is the route I would go). Use the original JB Weld NOT the quick cure/dry type. The quick cure only goes to 300 degrees...

Back