Notice to cook teams

Gowan

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
In the interest of balance, here is the "reverse rant" thread directed at cooks, from the perspective of organizers and judges. Tongue-in-cheek of course, but the truth is there. After all, fair is fair, right?
1) Don't show up with more stuff than will fit in the space you reserved. The hitch on your trailer counts. So do the three vehicles, two tents, cookers, corn hole boards, bowling alley, inflatable pool, and animal pen you brought along. (Yes, I've personally seen all of these)

2) Stop expecting to be able to run all the toys in your $200,000 diesel pusher with the free electric you got with your $200 entry. 30 & 50 amp hookups are expensive - check the rates at any RV campground.

3) If you do decide to use the basic electric provided, be prepared to deal with adapter and GFCI issues. Give your neighbor a break and cooperate to share the available power rather than hogging it all for yourself.

4) Grease and ash barrels are labeled and separated from the trash cans for a reason. Tossing whatever you've got in the nearest receptacle may be convenient and the resulting fires entertaining, but it's one more problem for the volunteers.

5) Leave your site as clean as you found it. Otherwise while you spend your Sunday relaxing in front of the TV some poor volunteer will be cursing your name as they pick up your cigarette butts, beer bottles and broken tent.

6) Quiet time does not only include loud music and shouting. Cornhole tournaments, wood chopping, banging pots and pans and revving up your monster diesel to run your heater/AC also tick off your neighbors, who will get your organizer out of bed at 2am complaining.

7) If check-in and out times are published well in advance, that means you have to call to make special arrangements before you make other plans. Calling the organizer from the venue at 9AM on Thursday or 1AM Friday does not consititute making such arrangements .

8) Organizers try to fit in as many teams as possible. This means not all sites will be ideal. Please don't compound the problem of tight quarters by positioning your cheap noisy generator, sink drain, karaoke machine, etc. where it is guaranteed to aggravate your neighbors. Your cook site may not feature perfect access, drainage, short walk to turn-ins, shade, a postcard view or magic unicorns. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

9) You need the judges! Don't punish them for their efforts by sending them grossly undercooked, spoiled or ultra-spicy food. That ground habernero chicken may seem funny to you, but six judges and every cook team whose entry follows to that table are going to be hoping you fall down some stairs.

10) Be courteous to any judges who stop by after the scores are completed. Asking generic questions like "How were the ribs today?" or "What do you look for in a pork box?" is fine. Pressing them for scores is not. Showing pictures of your turn-ins is worse. Save the interrogation for your job with the District Attorney.
That should get the thread started. As an organizer, judge and cook I see there was a lot of truth in the original "Notice" thread, but we should give equal time to the other perspective...

Last edited:
8) Organizers try to fit in as many teams as possible. This means not all sites will be ideal. Please don't compound the problem of tight quarters by positioning your cheap noisy generator, sink drain, karaoke machine, etc. where it is guaranteed to aggravate your neighbors. Your cook site may not feature perfect access, drainage, short walk to turn-ins, shade, a postcard view or magic unicorns. Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

Ok I don't know about anyone else but I refuse to attend events that won't promise magical unicorns!

1) Don't show up with more stuff than will fit in the space you reserved. The hitch on your trailer counts. So do the three vehicles, two tents, cookers, corn hole boards, bowling alley, inflatable pool, and animal pen you brought along. (Yes, I've personally seen all of these)

5) Leave your site as clean as you found it. Otherwise while you spend your Sunday relaxing in front of the TV some poor volunteer will be cursing your name as they pick up your cigarette butts, beer bottles and broken tent.

Was#1 all in one space?

Some comps are charging a $50 refundable cleaning fee. Leave your space clean and you get the money back. Can't say I blame them. Not too hard to clean up after yourself!

I was next to the magic unicorns once, not as pleasant as one might think.:shocked:

So that was the cheering I heard when I went down those stairs on my butt yesterday. Wondered where that came from....

Guess I shouldn't have turned in those chicken B-Holes last weekend.... Seemed funny at the time

Russ

Magic Unicorns ????? That's what we have been missing !

Must be an east coast thing.

Closest thing we have out here in the midwest to a unicorn is a couple of tired rhino's

in the zoo. And there is sure nothing magical with them.

one year we had a Wii game in Bellvieu, its in a campground and sound would carry and echo across the valley. People were walking from the other side of the park because they could hear a bowling ally and people laughing.

Attachments

• bowling.jpg
    bowling.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 173
one year we had a Wii game in Bellvieu, its in a campground and sound would carry and echo across the valley. People were walking from the other side of the park because they could hear a bowling ally and people laughing.

That. Is. Awesome. My kids would love that one.

Back