• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How to Que on a BGE?

T

The Anchorman

I got my Eggs all set up. I would like to do a Boston Butt overnite on Sunday into Memday but not really sure how to set up the Large BGE for a long cook.
Is there an Eggspert willing to give a new egger a hand?

Do you have a plate setter or some way t oset up your EGG in an indirect fashion. If you do, then that is all you need to cook it the same way you would on another cooker. If you wrap your butt at a certain temp, still do that. You do not need to put the butt in a rack, just place it on the grid. Make sure you have lump a littele above the fire box as well. Light it in two places, bring it to temp and let it stabalize for a while, then put the butt on. The Elder Ward and Naked Whiz sites posted are a good how to. Hope it works out well for you.

-Kevin

the setup is plate setter, legs up, drip pan, grid indirect at 250 dome.

chuckies-009.jpg

chuckiesand-007.jpg

use a spacer on the thermometer if it's wanting to stick the meat

firstovernightbutts-003.jpg

if you don't have a plate setter, use fire bricks and a drip pan or something to make it indirect

fattysbuttsbaconbriedelight-44.jpg

firstovernightbuttIII-003.jpg

get your fire stabile at 250 dome temp for about 1/2 hour before putting on the cold meat. the temp will drop, but DO NOT adjust the vents. it will recover to the stabilized temp after a while

good luck!

WOW, Thanks!
Can I use the charcoal holders that come with a weber performer to set up the charcoal for an offsett cook? As someone said before webers are great for Eggparts.

WOW, Thanks!
Can I use the charcoal holders that come with a weber performer to set up the charcoal for an offsett cook? As someone said before webers are great for Eggparts.

I don't see why this wouldn't work, although I have the plate setter, so I always use this for indirect. If you do this, please post some results.

I think if you find yourself cooking indirect much in the egg, you will probably want to get a platesetter. This opens up a lot of possibilities for baking as well, which the egg is really great for.

Good luck!

WOW, Thanks!

Not sure. The plate setter acts more of a barrier. And I'm not sure they would hold enough lump. Not sure if I'd experiment with your first overnighter.

get your fire stabile at 250 dome temp for about 1/2 hour before putting on the cold meat. the temp will drop, but DO NOT adjust the vents. it will recover to the stabilized temp after a while

This, boys and girls, was the single most important piece of advice I received when i started with my first Egg. Trust the Egg. Once you have the tep stable, don't fark with the vents! You'll end up chasing the temperature all over the place.

WOW, Thanks!
Can I use the charcoal holders that come with a weber performer to set up the charcoal for an offset cook? As someone said before webers are great for Eggparts.

Offset cooking in the egg is different than a weber. With the weber you use the charcoal holders to build two fires on the side of the kettle, thereby creating a zone without direct heat under the meat. With the Egg the fire is built in the firebox as normal and an insulator is used to block the direct heat from the meat. The platesetter is the perfect insulator but firebricks, etc. can be used as well.

here's 3 rutland fire bricks from ace hardware forming an indirect barrier, drip pan on the bricks, then second grid..........

superbowl2007-068.jpg

Ok I get it now. 3 fire bricks is enough for the Large BGE? So if any of you guys ever buy a BWS I can help you with them. This egg World is very different. I am actually eggsited about playing this weekend.

If you plan on a lot of low and slow cooks, invest in a plate setter at some point.

Absolutely! Since I started using my plate setter, I haven't done a cook without it.

I'd go measure mine, but it's pouring outside. If no one answers, remind me a little later today and I'll go outside and get the measurements.

Hey Rick what are your thoughts on a Woo ring with a pizza stone on cross pieces wrapped in foil instead of plate setter?

Here are a few things I've found using the woo2 ring with a pizza stone for indirect cooks.

- have the ability to vary the size and shape of the indirect piece. I like this when doing ribs or briskets, use rectangular set up.
- get 360 degress open spacing around the stone for air flow, no legs in the way.
- it's a bit easier to empty the egg should you need to get at the lump. You can pull everthing out together and set aside. Found this handy when wanting to add smoking wood during the cook.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee109/acgpinc/100_0126.jpg

Picture shows the comparisons in diameter for the various bge pieces: 12 inch stone on top, large platesetter in the middle and 14 inch stone on the bottom. I suggest the bge products, similar ceramic manufacturer products or kiln shelves as an indirect piece with the woo2.

hope this helps. T

Back