MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #16
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Team four,
Why do you store your wood in the frig?
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #17
Toadly_Smoked
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Ebay has a couple of vendors who sell 8 lb boxes for about $20 shipped. Quality is pretty good.

Having said that, I would still consider Fruita. Their prices include priority shipping and their wood is first class quality. I use the bagged chunks from the big box stores to cook at home, but for comps there is no comparison to Fruita. And yes I store it in the fridge...I don't drink beer.

No beer? A 6 pack is apart of all my recipes.
Toadly_Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #18
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
Team four,
Why do you store your wood in the frig?
jon
Storing in the fridge retains moisture in the fruit woods and prevents them from cracking from drying out. The wood will burn longer than dried out chunks. I have compared fridge stored vs non-fridge stored chunks and the theory holds true. I only buy 10 lbs at a time and burn that up in a couple of months.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #19
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadly_Smoked View Post
No beer? A 6 pack is apart of all my recipes.
I don't drink at all...makes you wonder how I get by in this hobby, huh?

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
wonderbread
Found some matches.

The stuff in the bags usually burns up so fast IMO. I found it interesting that fruitawoodchunks.com actually had a section on how to store your wood chunks. I have a mini fridge in the yard that I was planning on converting to a meat curing chamber, but it will hold wood for now I suppose!
wonderbread is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #21
wonderbread
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
I don't drink at all...makes you wonder how I get by in this hobby, huh?
Hahaa. This is a good thing. The first time I tried my little charbroil barrel smoker from home depot...I started drinking beer when I put the ribs on. 8 hours later when they where ready to come off, I pulled them off and dropped em right in the dirt. Cried and went to bed. Boyfriend was so pissed!
wonderbread is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
big green egg, ceramic smoker, Kamado, KAMADO JOE, wood