MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Mmmmmmmmmmm! Pork Steaks.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #17
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn View Post
Man I love pork steaks!! I've never had it prepared the way you guys are talking about though. Can y'all recommend a recipe for someone who's a newb at that particular style? I'm going to the search engine now!
Sure!! First you will need to head to your trusty local butcher and tell him you want pork steaks cut from a bone-in butt.

After that, I fire up the weber kettle with a load of charcoal and hickory chunks and set it all to one side. I start them up doing a reverse sear until 150 IT and then move to direct over the coals to finish. Sauce both sides during the last few minutes and let cook until the sauce sets and gets nice and sticky.

Let rest for 5 or 10 minutes and then serve with some tater salad, baked beans, and your favorite adult beverage.

Christmas morning I had two kettles cooking up a total of 14 pork steaks for dinner later that night. They are great to cook in the morning and then either re-heat or hold in a large roasting pan until serving time. Mmmmmm now you're making me hungry!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #18
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post

Are those 18.5" kettles??! If not, and those are 22 inchers then those my friend are some MONSTER pork steaks...

Old 01-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #19
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

22" kettles

Old 01-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #20
DisasterRN
Found some matches.

St Louis native moved to Little Rock 20 years ago. I'll Q just about anything small enough and slow enough to fit on or in one of my grills/smokers/cookers.... Pork Steak with Maul's (plus some liquid hop additives) is still the family comfort food of choice. When I buy butts for competition I always reserve a couple for pork steaks...
DisasterRN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #21
Wornslick
is one Smokin' Farker

Baby Stumps

Blue Weber, with a table

" The sunshine bores the daylights out of me "
Wornslick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #22
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbassman5 View Post
Sure!! First you will need to head to your trusty local butcher and tell him you want pork steaks cut from a bone-in butt.
Quote:
re-heat
Pork steaks are typically cut about 1" thick... and pork steaks are great reheated... the next day, or the day after, or the day after...

Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #23
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

Around here they call those steaks, "Front-shoulder steaks", and yes, they are AWESOME on the BBQ
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #24
bri134
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post

My homesickness was in check until I saw these pics. So many great childhood memories that include Maul's-smothered porksteaks.

I am loathe to admit it took me 6 years to introduce my wife to these slices of heaven, and only on a trip back home to STL. Needless to say, shes a huge fan now; had never had them before (shes from Vegas). They're a staple in our house now.
bri134 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #25
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:
I believe if it is cut from a pork loin, it becomes a loin chop or loin steak. Also a very very good cut of pork that is boneless and fantastic when wrapped in bacon!

As already mentioned, the staple of STL BBQ is the pork steak that is, yes, just a sliced up bone in pork butt.
I smoke full loins and serve with brocolli-rabe and provolone on garlic bread.

Made that at the american royal, except i had to use spinach. Tried to get brocolli rabe from a few stores, including RD, and everyone looked at me like i had 3 heads. Broccoli rabe seems to be a mysteries green in KC.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 02:22 AM   #26
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Never had broc rabe, do you use the rabe fresh or lightly steamed? If steamed, have you ever tried kale? We love kale. People look at my two kids the way they looked at you in KC when they see a 5 and 7 year old eating kale and LOVING IT!
I'll feed it to em all day:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=38
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 AM   #27
cheeaa
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wornslick View Post
Looks like mine! Now I'm hungry!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #28
SchatzSea
On the road to being a farker

Learned something new today...been to St. Louis lots of times but never noticed the pork steak thing. On the list! Maybe less the Mauls...I may have to try it again though given the drool on my keyboard looking at those pics! I bought a bottle a month or so ago to try it, my initial reaction was it kind of tasted like watered down katsup.
[FONT=Magneto][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][B]En Fuego BBQ[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][INDENT][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray][I]The Swashbucklers of Swine...[/I][I]Raiders of Ribs...Buccaneers of Brisket...Pillagers [/I][I]of Poultry...Marauders of Mutton...it's the Dred Pirate SchatzSea and Qrew from the mythical Isla del Fuego![/I][/COLOR][/FONT]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

[I][FONT=Arial][COLOR=dimgray]"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]
[/INDENT]__________________
SchatzSea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #29
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

"Bump" for a great thread, and general awesomeness.
Since I discovered the joys of smoking food, I have only fired up the grill for the occasional burger here and there, not even a steak.
But the talk and pictures of pork steaks has got me drooling.

I feel like I'm being called back to my roots of pork steaks and Maulls.

I have pics of all kinds of food, but none of pork steaks. Yum....
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2013, 10:21 PM   #30
mep
Full Fledged Farker

I grew up in the St. Louis area, just a little south, and my dad always did pork steaks with Maulls barbecue sauce on the Weber kettle. We still like to grill pork steaks and hit them with the sauce when we can't take the time for smoking the meat.