MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
cashew
Got Wood.

Default First fatties!

I stopped yesterday at Fareway and picked up 6 rolls of Jimmy Dean sausage. I went with the suggestions from here and got only the Sage and Maple ones for my first try. I was not sure how much bacon to get for the weaves so I got 3 pounds. Hopefully that is enough.

Now I have a few questions.

1. If I roll the sausage out flat like a burrito shell I should be able to put things inside like mushrooms, Swiss cheese, and a sauce to make something like a mushroom and Swiss burger inside,right? I am thinking maybe one with pizza sauce mushrooms and pepperoni in it. A Philly cheese steak one with peppers provolone and peppers might work too.Should I make a rub to put on these? How do you guys like yours?

2. If I stuff some of these with things like that how much longer generally will it take to smoke/cook them? From what I am seeing it normally takes 2-3 hours for one that is just wrapped, Should I expect the same cook times?

3. When I smoke these should I do them directly on the rack or inside a pan? If I do them in the pan will they smoke all around or just on top? If I do them on the rack will it make a huge mess? I don't have a problem dealing with cleanup but I want to avoid a large grease fire.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

My answers in dark red below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashew View Post
I stopped yesterday at Fareway and picked up 6 rolls of Jimmy Dean sausage. I went with the suggestions from here and got only the Sage and Maple ones for my first try. I was not sure how much bacon to get for the weaves so I got 3 pounds. Hopefully that is enough.

Now I have a few questions.

1. If I roll the sausage out flat like a burrito shell I should be able to put things inside like mushrooms, Swiss cheese, and a sauce to make something like a mushroom and Swiss burger inside,right? I am thinking maybe one with pizza sauce mushrooms and pepperoni in it. A Philly cheese steak one with peppers provolone and peppers might work too.Should I make a rub to put on these? How do you guys like yours?

Put the sausage in a gallon zip bag and flatten it inside the bag and the cut the bag open and peel bag the top layer. then add you fillings and use the bag to roll it up. Seal the seam and ends and put in the fridge to harden up before cooking.

2. If I stuff some of these with things like that how much longer generally will it take to smoke/cook them? From what I am seeing it normally takes 2-3 hours for one that is just wrapped, Should I expect the same cook times?

That all depends on your cook temperature. Make sure that the stuffing gets over 165 for food safety. 2 -3 hours sounds about right at temps below 250.

3. When I smoke these should I do them directly on the rack or inside a pan? If I do them in the pan will they smoke all around or just on top? If I do them on the rack will it make a huge mess? I don't have a problem dealing with cleanup but I want to avoid a large grease fire.

I do them on the rack, no pan. What are you cooking on? If you're cooking indirect you shouldn't have a grease fire.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Do yourself a favor and take one of those sausage logs and cook it naked. No stuffing, no enrobing. Experience the fatty the way that it was originally conceived. Naked. All of this stuffing and enrobing cam along years after Brother Smokey Pig smoked the first sausage log and Brother Big Dog named it a Fatty.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
cashew
Got Wood.

Thank you Ron L. I will be smoking these on a masterbuilt smoker with a water pan between the wood chips and racks. I was thinking maybe I would put an empty pan on the bottom rack to catch any drippings and hopefully keep things a little cleaner.

I was planning on doing 2 of these naked. one sage and one maple, should I put a rub on them at all?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

Not to boldly disagree with one of the Mods, but....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=21
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
BobM
Babbling Farker

These are the first fattys I did.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=129340

I love fattys!

Good luck.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashew View Post
Thank you Ron L. I will be smoking these on a masterbuilt smoker with a water pan between the wood chips and racks. I was thinking maybe I would put an empty pan on the bottom rack to catch any drippings and hopefully keep things a little cleaner.

I was planning on doing 2 of these naked. one sage and one maple, should I put a rub on them at all?
Can't hurt to put a pan under them to catch the drippings.
Do them both naked to get the feel for them - then if you choose - stuff and enrobe on the next go round.
I have done them both ways, and still prefer the naked fatty....

LONG LIVE NAKED FATTIES!!!!!
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1300 Timberline 5/26/17
1 18.5 WSM
Super Fast BLUE and REDThermopen
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things. - Robert Brault
LMAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
bo_b_q
On the road to being a farker

Got the answers you need above...I second keeping one naked (rub only). It's fun to come up with things to stuff them with, and some even turn out really good, but nothing compares to a naked fatty. Bacon weaves are good too...but again it kinda overpowers the star of the show!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
Birdie
On the road to being a farker

Good luck they are fantastic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
el_matt
Babbling Farker

I cook mine in my UDS, and I put them on a piece of foil. It prevents it from falling through the grate, and I haven't noticed a lack of smoke flavor.

We usually make 2lb. stuffed fatties, filled with shredded cheddar, ortega chilis, and chopped cooked bacon. When we wrap them, it takes about a pound of regular sliced bacon. I've noticed that putting the fatty diagonal on the weave, makes wrapping and securing it much easier.

We've done them with and without rub, we prefer a rub. Normally I use Plowboys Yardbird, but I imagine any rub you like will be just fine.

Matt

Old 01-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #10
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

Stuff it and thank me later!

Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav View Post
Not to boldly disagree with one of the Mods, but....

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=21
Feel free to disagree with me any time! Unless I am posting in green, I'm just a fellow BBQer.

BTW, I'm not sure how that picture is disagreeing. It looks like you didn't seal the seam on the fatty and it split open.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #12
cashew
Got Wood.

Ok thank you all! I will take some pictures of the process I use and post them afterward. I think I will probably do one with a rub one without and stuff probably 3 of them. I am not sure what ones I will put the bacon on yet but I am really looking forward to this.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
cashew
Got Wood.

I wrapped and stuffed them and have them ready for the smoker tomorrow.

here I have one bagged and flattened.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
cashew
Got Wood.

stuffings added

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
cashew
Got Wood.

the weave