MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
BbqJohn
On the road to being a farker

Default Smoker build input

I put together this crude, not to scale graphical representation of the smoker I am building. I have the first 60 gallon smoke chamber (old air compressor), looking for another of the same size. What I am hoping to do is to be able to have a hybrid, regular smoker and reverse flow. To set it to reverse flow I would close of the vertical smoker chamber and then open up the smoke stack above the firebox which is closed at the connection to the smoke chamber when the vertical smoke chamber is open.

I hope to have tuning plates that are to be spread apart when not in the reverse flow(vertical chamber closed off) "mode" and pushed together to the right to allow space on the left for the heat and smoke to flow. I understand the tuning plates will not be air tight but I think I can get them close without welding them down.

Any input is welcome. This is my first build....Thanks in advance everyone!

>>John

BbqJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

honestly get rid of the exhaust stack on the right, if the smoke goes out there it wont get over to the (i'll call it the rib box) the one the left

EDIT: now see you are trying reverse/hybrid... but i think if you moved the said rib box to the right, above the firebox and still only have one exhaust
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]
[URL="fromthemouthofkstewart.blogspot.com"]MY BLOG[/URL]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/mmmgto"]Facebookin it![/URL]
Avatar created by i really wish i remember, but they got skillZ
mmmmeat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
BbqJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmeat View Post
honestly get rid of the exhaust stack on the right, if the smoke goes out there it wont get over to the (i'll call it the rib box) the one the left
That stack would only ever be open when I have the smoker set up for reverse flow, which then the vertical chamber will be close off.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
BbqJohn

Quote:

EDIT: now see you are trying reverse/hybrid... but i think if you moved the said rib box to the right, above the firebox and still only have one exhaust
I like that idea, but I was trying to get away with not having to use(heat) the vertical chamber if I don't need to......

Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

if it was above the firebox, you wouldnt expend any energy to heat it up, the radient heat would heat it up anyways, but, if you will be able to shut off the vert box your design would probably work great, but, i think it would have to be a "true" reverseflow, not with tuning plates one solid plate over to the left dumping into both the vert box and wrapping around to the top.

now, would you use a simple "cookiesheet" type deal just a flat piece of metal slid in place to block off the vert chamber? the stack on the other side could simply be a flapper that closes sealed
[/URL] [URL="https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.490010637758.259874.578407758&l=06aa73c27f"]GROGG[/URL]

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #6
BbqJohn

Quote:
if it was above the firebox, you wouldnt expend any energy to heat it up, the radient heat would heat it up anyways, but, if you will be able to shut off the vert box your design would probably work great, but, i think it would have to be a "true" reverseflow, not with tuning plates one solid plate over to the left dumping into both the vert box and wrapping around to the top.

now, would you use a simple "cookiesheet" type deal just a flat piece of metal slid in place to block off the vert chamber? the stack on the other side could simply be a flapper that closes sealed
I do like the idea of the vertical on top of the firebox.

If I make it a true reverse flow, not pushed together tuning plates will it evenly dump smoke and heat into both chambers when the vertical chamber is open? I am worried that if there is a solid plate and the vertical chamber is open the smoke will just get sucked out the vertical chamber and not loop back around. I thought to have a removable plate(one that runs the distance of the horizontal chamber also, then I can just remove it when not in reverse flow mode.

Yes I would have a flat metal piece that I can open and shut with a external handle.

Last edited by BbqJohn; 09-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.. Reason: finish answering question

Old 09-02-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
mmmmeat
is One Chatty Farker

well if it is built like tru RF, the firebox on the right, smoke travels under the solid plate all the way to the left (also the heat is workin under the food with no direct flame) then the smoke heads back to the right it's goin out the stack on the right anyways so if you were to put the vert box overthere then the smoke path (which is goin that way anyway, after it has already passed over the meat) will then fill up the vert box giving it loverly smoke plus it is warmed (or hotted) up by being over fire box to the point of great for (almost) very slow and low.

as far as my understanding goes you want the smoke on the meat, no doubt... but i DONT think you want it to stagnate there, (that's why ya gotta ALWAYS leave the exhaust open full, so that you dont choke the meat with smoke cuz afterall tasting the meat is a HUGE part ya dont only want the smoke

Old 09-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #8
BbqJohn

Quote:
well if it is built like tru RF, the firebox on the right, smoke travels under the solid plate all the way to the left (also the heat is workin under the food with no direct flame) then the smoke heads back to the right it's goin out the stack on the right anyways so if you were to put the vert box overthere then the smoke path (which is goin that way anyway, after it has already passed over the meat) will then fill up the vert box giving it loverly smoke plus it is warmed (or hotted) up by being over fire box to the point of great for (almost) very slow and low.

as far as my understanding goes you want the smoke on the meat, no doubt... but i DONT think you want it to stagnate there, (that's why ya gotta ALWAYS leave the exhaust open full, so that you dont choke the meat with smoke cuz afterall tasting the meat is a HUGE part ya dont only want the smoke
Good points, I think I can achieve my design now with a removable metal plate that is only in when vertical chamber is closed and the right spoke stack is open. I wanted to put a grill above the firebox...so if I moved the vertical over to the right then I lose that option...hmmmmm. I am leaning to moving it to the right now.....now I have to figure out how to counter balance with all that weight on the right if I do that.

Thanks for your input mmmmeat!

Old 09-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

Have the stacks tall enough so the smoke does not hit you in the face and exit above your head.

I like the design and being able to open and close the "right" stack will be esential with having the "left" smoker.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
el_matt
Babbling Farker

I like your design, but I've always been
partial to horizontal offsets.
There's an online calculator for determining
stack height. If I was on my home computer, I'd post the link.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

here is the calculators i use for fire box and stacks
round firebox calculator.xls
square firebox calculator.xls
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #12
joeysmac

What if you put the vertical in between the firebox and the horizontal and made it such that you could close off the "left" side of the vertical when in use so the heat did not escape to the horizontal side. Then you could also have a solid "grate" that you could stick in the vertical to cut it off (right near the top of the horizontal) and then the heat would flow into the horizontal if you opened up the wall between them. (obviously you would move the smoke stack to the other side of the horizontal in this scenario).

I'm not an expert on reverse flow, so my suggestion may be completely irrelevant...but the idea popped into my head while looking at the pictures. I have no idea how big you would want everything...

Old 09-03-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
BbqJohn

Here is some more info on the grill:

Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #14
BbqJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmac View Post
What if you put the vertical in between the firebox and the horizontal and made it such that you could close off the "left" side of the vertical when in use so the heat did not escape to the horizontal side. Then you could also have a solid "grate" that you could stick in the vertical to cut it off (right near the top of the horizontal) and then the heat would flow into the horizontal if you opened up the wall between them. (obviously you would move the smoke stack to the other side of the horizontal in this scenario).

I'm not an expert on reverse flow, so my suggestion may be completely irrelevant...but the idea popped into my head while looking at the pictures. I have no idea how big you would want everything...

I think this would kill the reverse flow option....sounds interesting though.

Tags
pit, smoker