Chili recipe???

If you're lazy like me, I'd check out Big Ron's chili mix.

I've been a bean and ground meat chili man until my last batch, but then again, I've only been a brethren for under a year. :wink: I just tried a variant of Alton's recipe and like it quite a bit. It's very meaty and will probably do the leftovers with some veges thrown in, but the flavor is great. I let the smoke come from about 1/3 of the meat being smoked instead of from chipotles. Also used some fresh peppers and onion and canned tomatoes instead of the salsa. Threw it in the crock pot instead of pressure cooker.

My recipe...and I say that because it is one I worked on tweaking away till I got it down...is very very similar to Saiko's.

Came as a bit of a shock, but feel some confirmation too.
I use fresh peppers in that+ chipotles, I toast the spices first (cumin seeds et al), bathe the chilies in hot oil before the blend and I also go the smooth road every now and then of adding the ground meat unbrowned.
Don't knock it till you try it, the fabulous one prefers it this way.
Beefier, and far softer to eat.
Otherwise the recipes are identical almost.

I made a batch this past weekend. I also smoked some country style ribs. I added some of the rib meat chopped up in my chili, instead of my usual ground chuck. It totally changed the flavor of the chili. It was much better and my wife even liked it. I use chopped Bell pepper in my chili with a good measure of Cumin powder. It gives the chili a different flavor than the normal recipes I've had.

Mine is pretty simple, but its a lot better than some of the chilli i've had through the years.

Buy a chilli kit/envelope and use salsa in lieu of the tomatoes. I also like to use pulled pork instead of the ground meat.

I don't think I could ever make the same chili twice. I usually put in what ever I can find at the time the mood strikes me. I always keep the basics, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans and black beans on hand at all times. After that, it could end up with anything in it.

I don't think I could ever make the same chili twice. I usually put in what ever I can find at the time the mood strikes me. I always keep the basics, stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, kidney beans and black beans on hand at all times. After that, it could end up with anything in it.

Try pintos some time. I like them way more than the kidney beans in chili.

my 'old family recipe'. Still get's rave reviews.

2 lbs ground beef
1 large can Bush's baked beans
2 cans chopped or diced tomatoes
1 can of water
1 Carroll Shelby chili kit.
(hot sauce/powder/peppers to your taste)

Brown and drain the beef, add the all the ingredients to a large pot and simmer till supper time.

Put in bowl, add corn chips and shredded cheese and sour cream. Enjoy.

It's as easy as can be, and will be great chili.

I've tried Saiko's chili recipe and it was good but a little too tomatoey for my tastes. I have made Patio Daddio's chili recipe and liked it a lot. I smoked a plain jane fatty and put that in instead of the ground beef and it was bangin'. You can find it on his blog. I haven't made any of his recipe's yet I didn't like. http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2008/12/test-title.html

I've tried Saiko's chili recipe and it was good but a little too tomatoey for my tastes. I have made Patio Daddio's chili recipe and liked it a lot. I smoked a plain jane fatty and put that in instead of the ground beef and it was bangin'. You can find it on his blog. I haven't made any of his recipe's yet I didn't like. http://www.patiodaddiobbq.com/2008/12/test-title.html

Thanks! I certainly appreciate that, and I'm glad you find the recipes helpful.

John

Years ago I bought a chili cook book at a gun show. It's a small predominately yellow book with red lettering. One of the best purchases I've made. If you ever see one I recommend it.

Here on the web one of the best resources is:
http://www.chili.org/recipes.html

I've seen Bob Coats' recipe recommended several times.

Hogwild I'm from a different culture so may be off beam but food construction (ie putting a lot of end products together and heating) does not a recipe make.
18 products and only 5 ingredients isn't a recipe around here , although as said in another thread it IS where the mainstream of tastes has been successfully led so may be delicious to the mainstream but I would try out Saiko's recipe (or similar posted here) and actually cook it traditionally.
Can't hurt, and you may end up with real food and real skills to wow people with, and take care of the families health too!
Just an idea, just sayin'...:idea::wink:

Back