This weekend's brisket

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Been practicing briskets lately. Trimmed most fat off. Injected with Kosmo's injection. Rubbed with Kosher salt, Simply Marvelous Season-all, course ground black pepper, and a hint of brisket rub (I wanted to see how the season-all would taste as the main flavor). Sorry no pictures of the prep.

Cooked in the BSK at an average of 300 degrees grate temp until the brisket reached 170ish. Foiled with a little left over Kosmos injection and returned to smoker until it was done (not sure the temp, but the probe was going in like butta). Rested for two hours.

Pre-slicing. The rectangle is sunlight coming through the window:
brisketpreslice.jpg

Close up after slicing:
Brisketcloseup.jpg

Some slices:
BrisketSliced.jpg

I tried to do burnt ends again, which I didn't like - they were...well, burnt, IMO.
BurntEnds.jpg

Flavor was GREAT. The S.M. and Kosmos gave it a wonderful beefy flavor. If you don't have Simply Marvelous Season-all, do yourself a favor and get some - it's great on everything. Kosmos is great on/in brisket.

Thanks for looking.

Looks great, really juicy. I am with ya on the burnt ends. I don't like char so I am counting myself out on those.

Looks really good to me. I'm not a judge, but as far as brisket pics it looks really nice. One thing that stands out is that it appears juicy (of course this also depends on how long the brisket sat out before the pic was taken), but it's one of the juiciest I've seen. I can't tell how tender it was. I like it so it just holds together. I personally like it cut thick, but that's neither here nor there, just so you know when I come by for my sample. :hungry: Nice pics also, Dan. They really capture the brisket well.

Looks good to me! I love burnt ends, they are my favorite part of the brisket. It may be that I do love a good char, dunno, yours look fine.

Nice pix of great grub! If you ever have a problem getting rid of burnt ends, I can help with that. Brethren helping Brethren, ya know - I'll just eat 'em for the good of the group.

Thanks y'all. It was very juicy - the juice you see on the cutting board is mostly the liquid that I added when I foiled...I think, anyway.

Gore, the texture was awesome. I'm practicing for a comp., so I sliced about a pencil-thickness-thick. I pulled apart a couple of slices with pull-back, but not too much (and a bit of "snap"). The brisket rested in my oven (my cambro was in my truck, at church) for two hours or so. Then unwrapped and was sitting there for 10 minutes or so before I found the camera. Does that help???

Gotta say, I'm still worried about the lack of a pronounced smoke ring and bark for competition (although I'm told not to worry), but the flavor is INCREDIBLE. In fact...

My wife and I dropped out kids off for camp yesterday afternoon. We thought about going out for dinner after we went grocery shopping. After shopping, I said, "Ya know, I could just go home and have some left over brisket." My wife said, "Works for me, I was just thinking how good a brisket sandwich would be." (Note...my wife is not a big fan of leftovers).

Simply Marvelous rubs should be in every cabinet. And, no, I don't get a commission :) Do I, Steph? Steph? Hey, Steph, I have an idea...we should talk... :)

How did you mix your Kosmos. Would you change the ratios

Good question. I forgot to say. I used it before with beef stock. I wanted to use beef consumme (sp?), but I forgot to pick some up. I mixed according to instructions, which by memory are 3/4 cup mix to 2 cups of liquid. Since I didn't have the consumme, I reached from beef stock. CRAP!!! I'm out!!??!!

So, I grabbed two cubes of beef bullion and mixed with water to the correct level and stirred until it was all mixed up thoroughly. I then, on a whim, added a tablespoon or so of Worcestershire sauce. I injected about half the mix (guessing amount) and then reserved the rest for adding to the foil - although I didn't use it all).

Would I change ratios??? Not on purpose. LOL. It was so good - my wife and I both thought it was the best brisket we had ever had - and, growing up in TX, we've both had a lot...

Brisket........;}-

Hey ,yer Brisky looks fantastic, but not much Smoke ring? Do you do experiments, If so(or like me , go with the tried and true version)?
If you like to try different approaches,try rubbing with:
1-part Sea Salt
3-parts CBP (or butcher's grind pepper)

Place,Point up and toward the heat aroind 220 * to 250*F average.Place it in your (with some wood chunks for flavor)and leave the (doors/lids) closed; with NO peeking until the 1.5hr per lb. thing is almost done,THEN open it and check it out.
This is how I have been taught and used for over 30 years.It'a the KISS method for me.:-DBut good luck with your smoke, and...

Gotta say, I'm still worried about the lack of a pronounced smoke ring and bark for competition :)

I think your smoke ring is fine for competition Dan. A little more sugar (I like turbinado, doesn't scorch as easy as brown or white) might help your bark

BTW, the brisket looks mighty tasty!

Yes, I do experiments, but I am very happy with the flavor profile I have now.
Any reason you would say Sea Salt instead of Kosher, which I used? Just curious.

As far as Point up and toward the heat...that's not an easy thing to do on a Keg. :)

I will be cooking a full comp cook on the Fiery Furnace later this week (that's my trailer offset) and seeing how that works...I'm guessing there are some adjustments to make.

Thanks again, y'all.

Back