The Official Stickburner Thread

It's a faze. Did ya'll all forget about the 5 years that nearly every day someone either ordered or picked up their Shirley?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep and with each phase I bought a new cooker. Don’t regret it though because you figure out what you like and dislike.

I have 3 different kinds
9Ws7ECwh.jpg

cnVUNXeh.jpg

Ie2HXCeh.jpg

That's awesome, I dig the Santa Maria setup. I've been eyeballing an Englebrecht for years

why would anyone be burning sticks when we have pellets ?

Meh I can see the appeal. I used to have a stickburner and it was fun to use but it was a lot of work. The biggest appeal of a stickburner to me was always the wow factor people had when they saw me cooking on it. Also the feeling you get running a fire is pretty sweet and something you can’t recreate. For convenience and flavor pellets can’t be beat though.

Also worth noting... I wouldn’t eat at a bbq restaurant if I didn’t see either a pit with live coals or a big offset smoker being cooked on. I love my pellet smoker but if I’m going to pay for bbq then it better be the “real deal”.

I’ve gotta get out of here.....last time I spent time in an “official “ thread it cost me a good deal of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve gotta get out of here.....last time I spent time in an “official “ thread it cost me a good deal of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I envision a Jambo in your signature in the future

Let me be the first to officially congratulate you guys on this thread becoming officially "Official!"

I sent Ron a message to see if he'd change it to make it official

Let me be the first to officially congratulate you guys on this thread becoming officially "Official!"

Well, the thread title has been changed. If that makes it 'official', then I guess it is :-D

BTW, let's keep it on topic. I cleaned up some off topic posts.

. For convenience and flavor pellets can’t be beat though.

I'm with ya on the convenience factor but the overwhelming criticism of pellet cookers is the lack of flavor....you cant be waltzing into the un*official stick burner thread* and lay down such blasphemy when the food cooked on a properly run wood log fire is what everything else gets judged against :becky: the rest of your post is proof :grin:

Here is mine, not sure who the manufacturer was, the reseller wouldn't say. It is pretty decent, I think it has a firebox size issue, as it is a fuel hog, and needs some lump added occasionally to maintain the coal bed, (or I need to add splits more often, lol)...

Someone asked about wood, so I thought I would show mine...

Sadly, the pile is not diminishing as much as i had hoped. Health issue is keeping me from being able to do it, hopefully it gets resolved, so I can go back to turning out some easy to do briskets soon...

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Here is mine, not sure who the manufacturer was, the reseller wouldn't say. It is pretty decent, I think it has a firebox size issue, as it is a fuel hog, and needs some lump added occasionally to maintain the coal bed, (or I need to add splits more often, lol)...

Someone asked about wood, so I thought I would show mine...

Sadly, the pile is not diminishing as much as i had hoped. Health issue is keeping me from being able to do it, hopefully it gets resolved, so I can go back to turning out some easy to do briskets soon...

Great setup, hope you feel better and get to make those briskets soon

I few weeks ago I caught a Craigslist post for a guy who had just cut down a Bartlett Pear tree. Free wood - Come and get it!

I went straight there and (politely) fought with 3 other guys to load up my truck. The homeowner said that it makes the best smelling firepit wood. When I told him I intended to cook with it, he said "Well I never thought of that!"

It needs to season, but I can wait to try it.

Back