Outdoor Kitchen Must Haves?

Ive built two different Outdoor Kitchens (different houses) and here is what i went with. Gas Grill 4 to 5 burner with rotisserie. Double side burner for stock pots, griddle, deep fryer, liquor still.

Sink to wash your hands (this could be a challenge as if you are going to be "washing" dishes this should really be plumbed to the sewer) I dont put bio waste down my sink, i just have a french drain.

STORAGE....cant stress that enough, drawers and under grill cabinets, you cant have enough. Where do you keep the seasoning, matches, grill brush, foil....etc.

Fridge, bottle opener, paper towel rack, light.

Oh and counter space near the grill or oven. I have pizza ovens so you need space to spread out ingredients and toss the dough. Layout is important.

I usually go to the local home show and talk with the island builders to see what they are doing for the 1%, and then do my 99% version of it. You will be surprised at what you need after you see it in practice. These things are hard enough to build once but to do it twice is maddening.

Great thread!...

Slowly planning an outdoor kitchen as well and I love the fact that most people here also think there should be a SantaMaria grill included. I get alot of odd looks when i say i want an open fire pit built in.

Do you guys think its necessary for a santa maria, gasser AND an egg/kettle? Or would that egg/kettle be redundant ???

rb

Great thread!...

Slowly planning an outdoor kitchen as well and I love the fact that most people here also think there should be a SantaMaria grill included. I get alot of odd looks when i say i want an open fire pit built in.

Do you guys think its necessary for a santa maria, gasser AND an egg/kettle?
Or would that egg/kettle be redundant ???
rb

Yes.

Great thread!...

Do you guys think its necessary for a santa maria, gasser AND an egg/kettle? Or would that egg/kettle be redundant ???

rb
There will be times when you just want to cook a few burgers, grill some fish, or cook some sausages. Are you willing to start up the santa maria for that? Kettles hide well, and can serve as an extra place to set things on wheels.

There will be times when you just want to cook a few burgers, grill some fish, or cook some sausages. Are you willing to start up the santa maria for that? Kettles hide well, and can serve as an extra place to set things on wheels.

That's my biggest issue holding me back from a santa maria. how often am I going to put in the work to get wood burning to fire up burgers for me and the wife

If I dump charcoal in it, it's just an expensive grill with an adjustable rack

/back on topic

Have you received the parts yet? How expensive is the shipping. This really looks like a great way to go. I plan on putting one in mid next year.

Thanks!

When I ordered mine, shipping was 99.00 but you could really load up the order for that same shipping price. I believe they may have changed their shipping prices lately. Everything is packaged so that it can all be shipped via UPS and delivered to your door.

If you order from them I recommend you call them to be sure you get what you will need and not order some things you don't need.

There are quite a few videos available on their site and on Youtube to see how it all goes together.

Here are a couple of pics of the section my Weekender will sit in. The drop down module where the box is sitting will hold the smoker.

kBZ3jdLl.jpg

Back splash framing.

DXkO3lfl.jpg

One of the Drawers mounted.

73G2UXSl.jpg

I am putting 2 drawers and 2 doors in this section and I am thinking of a tile countertop.

I don't have an outdoor kitchen, but I can certainly envision one without getting too fancy:

A roof that's ventilated with an exhaust fan or two
Ability to enclose sides for driving rain / snow
Good lighting for night cooks
Plenty of power outlets
Sink / running water
Plenty of counter space for prep
Decent sized fridge to hold cold (beer comes to mind :-D)
Cambro or two to hold hot
Easy access to the house

One fine day, I shall have this kitchen........:-D

I'm contemplating having an outdoor kitchen installed.

I have limited space, but enough for a decent setup I believe.

For those who have experienced outdoor kitchens what are some "must haves" in your opinion? I know this is a personal thing, but hoping to get some ideas from fellow brethren.

Thanks!

Following. I hope to build one this summer.

Tag.

I'm in the process of designing a home addiction and remodel. To include covered patio right off the kitchen. Might be a pipe dream when numbers start coming in but its sure been fun as hell to design my dream garage. Now work on the patio. Some good ideas and I will be taking notes as I did in my garage research

So, is ventilation required in the roof of a covered patio? Or would a fan or two sufficient.

So, is ventilation required in the roof of a covered patio? Or would a fan or two sufficient.

I would either do an exhaust fan type ventilation or a truly vented ridge with a ceiling fan. I have a covered porch (Gable Roof) that i cook under every now and then and i only have a ceiling fan. It just sort of pushes the smoke around in circles and the smoke has no where to go. Just sits up in the gable. If i ever build an outdoor kitchen under it i will either be cutting the ridge out and installing a raised ridge type detail or a few exhaust fans. I would most likely lean towards the fan with a new ridge as exhaust fans get loud when running.

So if a guy was going to do something like this, and do it right, do you sell off all your cookers to replace with "built in" models? Or do you just create a ventilated area to house existing cookers?

I got a Weber gasser, Yoder 640 and XL BGE. Could a built in Memphis Elite essentially replace all of those?

I would still have a Blackstone 36 and pizza oven to contend with.

That's my biggest issue holding me back from a santa maria. how often am I going to put in the work to get wood burning to fire up burgers for me and the wife

If I dump charcoal in it, it's just an expensive grill with an adjustable rack

/back on topic

If you think about t though it doesn't matter IF you do plan to do some wood cooking every now and then. As you said, at worst, you have a fancy charcoal grill. But at best, you have a wood burning Santa Maria. That said, I have an adjustable height grate for my Weber Kettle and it comes in handy much more than I thought it would. So even if just using charcoal, a Santa Maria would have it's benefits.

I would either do an exhaust fan type ventilation or a truly vented ridge with a ceiling fan. I have a covered porch (Gable Roof) that i cook under every now and then and i only have a ceiling fan. It just sort of pushes the smoke around in circles and the smoke has no where to go. Just sits up in the gable. If i ever build an outdoor kitchen under it i will either be cutting the ridge out and installing a raised ridge type detail or a few exhaust fans. I would most likely lean towards the fan with a new ridge as exhaust fans get loud when running.

Yep. All depends on the roof. IF you go with a peaked one with exposed rafters, as long as the smoke has some way to escape, you are all good. If you have a finished or flat ceiling that would hold the smoke it, you'd want to ventilate it.

So if a guy was going to do something like this, and do it right, do you sell off all your cookers to replace with "built in" models? Or do you just create a ventilated area to house existing cookers?

I got a Weber gasser, Yoder 640 and XL BGE. Could a built in Memphis Elite essentially replace all of those?

I would personally build the XL and Yoder in. And make a spot to roll the gasser into place and leave it there. I mean unless you are filthy rich then yes i would keep all my old cookers and still buy all new models. A Lynx Napoleon Oven would be awesome to have.

I will be selling multiple cookers as part of my process, and also dedicating a couple to competition only like my FEC-100 and Bullseye which are currently on my porch.

I am a bit of a snob so i would say ditch the weber and get a good natural gas 36in 5 burner and repurpose the flattop off of the Blackstone. Keep the GBE and Yoder, but that depends on real estate and how much room you have. That Memphis Elite is $$$, dont know anything about them but seems like a lot of gadgets in one machine.

Jacksonville, limited space.
I think most BBQrs tend to go overboard. The first thing is to have a heart to heart with the wife and decide how much and in what manner you will be using the kitchen. Large or small parties and how often. Are you going to BBQ grill or both. That being said your area needs to be covered with ceiling fans and infrared heating strips.
Sink. Drain in the sewer or some type of grey water system.
Refrigerator outdoor.
Ice machine.
Gas grill, charcoal grill, smoker or all three.
Other cooking implements as space and $ allow.
TV and sound system.
Wet bar. Firepit steak grill combo.
Lastly it is ideal to be close to your main kitchen and
Bathroom.

Back