MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
djoseph74
On the road to being a farker

Default Kielbasa pron from the weekend - and what to grind with??

I was actually hoping to post a video and pictures of my first stuffed sausage, but that didn't work... so question before video:

What do you use for a stuffer and grinder?

Ok, now for my pron...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsBXWM_t6FI

Old 03-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

[QUOTE=djoseph74;2422617]I was actually hoping to post a video and pictures of my first stuffed sausage, but that didn't work... so question before video:

What do you use for a stuffer and grinder?

For me it depends on what and how much sausage I want to make. If it a couple of pounds I have my butcher grind it for me. If it moer than 5 lbs I grind it myself with a hand crank grinder. Again, depending on quantity, stuff them with either a pastry bag and tube and elbow grease, or feed them through the grinder again without the cutting blade attached. If it's gator sausage then I crank up the 30 Qt Hobart mixer fitted with the grinding attachment and stuff the same as with the hand grinder sans cutting blade. Its a clean-up and waste issue. Small batches zero waste at the butcher, mid size extra clean up and some waste, big batches big clean up and more waste too! Hope this helps!

Old 03-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I currently have a meat grinder with sausage stuffer attachment that I bought at Northern Tool for $99. I've probably ground literally over half a ton of deer, wild hog, beef, and pork with it over the last few years, and it's still going strong.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Very happy with my LEM #5. Might invest in a stuffer next year if I do more than 15 lbs
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
djoseph74

Hometruckin - The silver one? I have a 50 yr old version of that one, but its worn out. That particular one (the new version) was attractive to me because its cheaper. Good to know people are using them. Gives me something cheaper to consider.

Gnaws - thanks! Found it on Amazon, where I happen to have a nice shiney gift card. Something electric to consider...

Stoke - the Lem #5 is pretty pricey, what makes it worth the extra money? I'm not opposed, so I am genuinely curious.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoseph74 View Post
Hometruckin - The silver one? I have a 50 yr old version of that one, but its worn out. That particular one (the new version) was attractive to me because its cheaper. Good to know people are using them. Gives me something cheaper to consider.

Gnaws - thanks! Found it on Amazon, where I happen to have a nice shiney gift card. Something electric to consider...

Stoke - the Lem #5 is pretty pricey, what makes it worth the extra money? I'm not opposed, so I am genuinely curious.
Yes, the silver one

Old 03-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
djoseph74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
Yes, the silver one
Thanks. I don't mind a little elbow grease if its more in tune with my budget. Lots to think about though.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Grinders are a matter of personal choice and need.

Buy what works best for your needs with the ability to exceed your current needs, because once you do it, you'll increase your projected volume. I bought a large grinder and soon found that I grew out of it quickly. I now have a Weston Commercial Grade Grinder and I am very happy with it.

Cost is another determining / limiting factor on your personal choice.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #9
djoseph74

I've basically ruled out anything really expensive at this time. You're right, it has to be the right fit. I don't think I'll do more than 10-15lbs per month, and probably not every month, but I would like to grind my own burger blends as well. I'll most likely go with an electric at this point. I'm in no rush, so I'm going to let my brain church for a few days.