• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Saiko's Georgia Brunswick Stew, with Pron

I need to make some this fall, been a while.
I strain the tomatoes and use the broth from boiling the chicken-I just use chicken.
I have a ton of fresh corn I vac bagged and froze.
Brunswick stew and cornbread.

I noticed somebody made a comment about Brunswick stew from Virginia, and they used the word "original".

I love this website, and as such I respect the owners and everyone here, so we'll just have a nice laugh about that one and let it go.
But if I hear it again, its pistols at 40 paces right here on the floor of the QTalk Forum!

I noticed somebody made a comment about Brunswick stew from Virginia, and they used the word "original".

I love this website, and as such I respect the owners and everyone here, so we'll just have a nice laugh about that one and let it go.
But if I hear it again, its pistols at 40 paces right here on the floor of the QTalk Forum!

I can't believe someone would try to push someone buttons on the whole Brunswick Stew debate. Some people!

Mark - That looks great !!! Thanks for the tutorial !!!

I've only had a few bowls of authentic Brunswick Stew while traveling...

all were different but each good in their own way.

Thats what makes it so good, like Q, like a bowl of chili, you get to try lots of different things

I've only had a few bowls of authentic Brunswick Stew while traveling...all were different but each good in their own way.

Yeah, Brunswick is like chili, there are hundreds of versions, some that don't even taste remotely similar. There is a pretty big difference between the style of Brunswick that is served in most Southern homes compared to the variety you will get at most BBQ restaurants in the South.
The version I've styled mine after is the BBQ restaurant version, which you won't find in many recipe books. In this version, the smoked meat is the star, with the rest of the ingredients just adding some background flavor.
It seems simple, but the complexity comes from having good smoked meat to base the dish around.

Alls I know is I saw it on food network and tried it soon after. You can't be much more of a northerner than me, unless you are from Canada so I'd only heard it mentioned by my cousins that live in Cumming, Ga they're yankees too well I guess her husband ain't but that don't matter. Point is even with boiled chicken in it it tastes good BUT next time, I'm gonna try yours with smoked whatever I got laying around that is in it Saiko.

I have a question on the BBQ sauce it can be any sauce you like right? or does it have to be a real sugary one? say I want to try some of this in it? the hot one packs some kick but its a vinegar based sauce.

Pictures_16ozBottles.png

I've never made Brunswick Stew but you have totally inspired me to give it a shot. Great job!

(Also ashamed to admit that growing up in NE Florida, I thought it originated in Brunswick GA) ;)

I have a question on the BBQ sauce it can be any sauce you like right? or does it have to be a real sugary one? say I want to try some of this in it? the hot one packs some kick but its a vinegar based sauce.

Pictures_16ozBottles.png

I'd go with whatever sauce you like. You won't find BBQ sauce listed in most recipes you will find in books, but when you try any of the Brunswick served at BBQ restaurants, it will definitely be there. Some places (such as Williamson Brothers here in Marietta, Georgia) put in way too much sauce for my liking.
If your sauce has a ton of vinegar, you might want to just start with 1/4 cup of BBQ sauce and then taste after a couple of hours. Or you might want to just skip adding the cider vinegar and use more sauce. I added the vinegar to my recipe to counter the sweetness from the BBQ sauce, but if your sauce is high in vinegar you might not need it.
It's always wise to start on the low end, taste after a couple of hours, then add accordingly. Once you have too much vinegar you are pretty much screwed at that point, and everybody has different tolerances for the taste of vinegar. What I might consider the perfect amount of vinegar, someone else might find appalling.

The one my wife makes has bbq sauce she uses Kraft or open pit or whatever other sauce she has a coupon for. That Uncle Bobs when I say vinegar based, it ain't pure vinegar like a pulled pork sauce. But it's got enough where you don't have to refrigerate. I know the dudes nephew they say it's cause they invented it before they had refrigerators. Plus it's pretty peppery so I think I'll skip the cayenne and reduce the hot sauce.

:eusa_clapDang, I'd hit a big ole bowl of that any day!! It's now on my official "Must Try" list. Nicely done.

I just made this today. THanks so much Saiko for sharing this delicious recipe.

Saiko, because of you...

there's probably about a hundred more gallons of stew on the planet than normal, (this internet thing just cracks me up) here's mine. Chicken and rib trimmings from yesterday:

10.18 ribs (9).JPG

10.18 ribs (5).JPG

10.18 ribs.JPG

I tried your recipe yesterday and loved it! Made a big ole pot with some pulled pork, rib meat, and smoked turkey. The only thing I did differently was to add a couple of potatoes I had sitting around. It made a big enough batch that I could bring in several containers to pass around to some co-workers. Thanks for sharing the recipe, it is by far the best Brunswick stew I've ever had!

I finally got around to making this yesterday. I already had something else planned for dinner, but I smoked a batch of chicken thighs first thing in the morning, and by early afternoon had everything simmering in the crock pot. It was after 9:00PM by the time it had had its six hours post melted butter, so I only had a small taste while I was cooling it to go in the fridge.

Very tasty, and as you said, the smell during the day while it cooked was awesome! The next couple of days we're expected to have more "normal" Florida temps, but another cool spell will arrive by mid to late week, so I'm sure I'll be hitting it hard shortly!

Have you tried/had any success freezing this for later consumption?

Have you tried/had any success freezing this for later consumption?

I freeze it all the time and it reheats just fine. I don't even vacuum pack it, I just store them in tupperware in the freezer. Makes a great winter lunch!

Well I had some leftover pulled pork and everything else needed to make this in the house so I am gonna give it a go for tonight.

I just started it about an hour ago and it smells amazing.

Back