MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #1
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

Default Small Weber

Hello folks, ............. Been away for a long time and miss hearing the cooking that goes on here (no not jail, but almost, WORK). Had some logging in issues I wanted to test out too.

But anywayz, I bought a small (15"?) Weber kettle early this year (only paid $12) I use at my rental home (for work) and noticed this grill does not seem to get too hot. At first I thought it was the POS new Kingsford briquettes I had, but tried another brand, Stubbs. I had better luck the the Stubbs briquettes but it still seems to not get very hot for good grilling. Though a very small grill, I fill it all the way to get the charcoal near the food. I`m thinking it may not be getting enough air from the bottom? Has the classic Weber 4 hole openings.

Anyone with experiance with these small portable grills? Got some thawing pre smoked filet mignon getting heated up tonight and I need some grill marks.

Hello again to all the old and new members. Thanks Phil for getting my account straitened out.

Hope all is well

Peace, Serge/Qczar
- Wally World / Turkey Fryer & Fish Basket
- Mini 14" Weber kettle
- Char-Broil Electric Vertical Smoker
- Little Chief Electric Fish Smoker x2
- Char-Broil Komander
Qczar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Qczar I know exactly what you are talking about and I have used my SJ's a ton! There is really no fix for the small SJS which is what you have for the airflow problem. I've tried every which way to get it burn hot with the lid closed and it just never really got too hot. I would just crack the lid some to get more airflow in there like this. Just try banking your coals to one side and grill direct with the lid off then slide them over the the cool side and crack the lid some. Without doing any mods to it I think that is just the nature of the beast. Periodically through a longer cook I would just have to lift the lid for a while to get the coals hot again to continue cooking. Still love my SJ's though!

Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #3
MrMike
On the road to being a farker

So glad this topic came up - I have two of these. One I picked up at a junk sale for 5 bucks, the other one rescued from dump. One is older; has no ash catcher on bottom, but has a handle to lock the top on which is connected to two side vents. I've only used them to start coals in, and I want to dump one. Is the vented one the keeper?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I have a small one that we took camping.
It has the 2 side vents, and this thing is a piece of crap IMHO!

Seems the only way to get it very hot is close one vent, aim the open one into the breeze and keep my fingers crossed.

Ive tried 2 different types of charcoal, not much difference.

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbull View Post
I have a small one that we took camping.
It has the 2 side vents, and this thing is a piece of crap IMHO!

Seems the only way to get it very hot is close one vent, aim the open one into the breeze and keep my fingers crossed.

Ive tried 2 different types of charcoal, not much difference.
It's not the charcoal its just poor design I think. I hate to say that since I love Webers but I had to mod my SJP just to get it to work how I wanted it to. It works awesome now and was totally worth it but out of the box these small Webers just don't perform like the 18.5 or 22.5. This is what I had to do to my SJP which sucks to drill into a brand new kettle but now it works awesome.

Drilled 4 holes and installed bottom vent from SJS underneath.

Smoking a fatty
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the heads up, .............. I`m thinking of keeping a fan near by to keep the air flowing underneath. I might try cutting a corn can strait thru and placing in the middle to allow air flow from bottom to top?

One way or another I`ll getter hot.

Thanks again
- Mini 14" Weber kettle
- Char-Broil Komander

Old 08-07-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
So glad this topic came up - I have two of these. One I picked up at a junk sale for 5 bucks, the other one rescued from dump. One is older; has no ash catcher on bottom, but has a handle to lock the top on which is connected to two side vents. I've only used them to start coals in, and I want to dump one. Is the vented one the keeper?
The one without the ash catcher is a Smokey Joe Gold (or Platinum, if it is bigger) and the one with the ash catcher is a Smokey Joe Silver. Venting in the Platinums (that's what I have) and I assume the Golds is a tricky thing to figure out, especially if you are looking for really hot temps. Part of the key is to not us too much charcoal (interferes with airflow) and make sure you get it going real well with a chimney before dumping it it.

I've had great luck with my Platinums and have been looking around for a used Gold or Silver to play around with. My most recent adventure was a (failed) thermometer mod so the I could smoke on it (not a failure). I also added a piece of expanded metal to keep the charcoal over on one side of the grill; that worked well for smoking as well as indirect cooking, but I haven't tried to grill over it...
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #8
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys I thought it was me,I got one 3 week ago and have had the same problems.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

Folks, ............ sorry for getting back so late, but. I definitly had good success with creating some air flow from below the charcoal to the top with these pocket sized grills. I used a hollowed can in the center and the temps were fine. Like another member mentioned piling the charcoal to one side would work fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy View Post
Thanks guys I thought it was me,I got one 3 week ago and have had the same problems.
- Mini 14" Weber kettle
- Char-Broil Komander

Old 08-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

I read a little into feedback on amazon for the different SJ models and found the highest ratings were on the SJS. The gold and platinum were both crap for keeping hot. All I know is my daughter's new silver runs like a champ. I use the chimney to start it and it runs 'till I tell it not to run anymore! lol.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Someone has to say it...

Get a Big Green Egg.

Welcome back...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Someone has to say it...

Get a Big Green Egg.

Welcome back...
Someone has to say it...

I can not afford a Big Green Egg.

My $4.00 1981 model Weber Smokey Joe works great, it grills hot and smokes good also.

I had to make an expander to get pork butts to fit.

Click link below to see it in action.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...101#post799101

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #13
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Just noticed that my old SJ has 3 sets of 3 holes for vents below the charcoal grid, could explain why it works fine.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #14
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Just noticed that my old SJ has 3 sets of 3 holes for vents below the charcoal grid, could explain why it works fine.
That's how my old Smokey Joe also. I haven't used it in years but I don't remember any problems getting it hot enough.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote