MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Smoky River BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Default Cooking Class or Not

Ok...here is my question. Do you think that a cooking class is a necessity to win at comps, or can just plain ol' trial and error get it done? I am debating about a class, but there are none close to me. Thoughts?

Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't think a class is necessary, you can win without the classes. The thing the class would be good for is to maybe shorten your learning curve some.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What Mike said... But taking a class helped us out, and it was fun.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
Tinybud
Take a breath!

I'm really considering the myron mixon class in feburary down at his home in georgia,,, but not sure I can make it ,,might have to wait for another one,, but I do want to take one,,, think it would be allot of fun,, and very valuable in helping at comps.
6ft. Southern Yankee
Meadow Creek Caterer's Delight 108
Caldera Tallboy
Tinybud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Big Tom

The Myron Mixon class should be very informative and a fun getaway. He definately has championship credentials.

Most all the different classes are taught by folks that have won in different styles of contests. They won't teach anything that the crew here (or any other forum) points out and reccomends, but the chance to spend some quality time with a group of other serious and not so serious cookers and maybe learn a thing or two can't be all bad, if you have the time and money for that type of experience.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
Against The Grain
Full Fledged Farker

Absolutely not! That would take the fun out of it.

Member Lighthouse Charity Team
Elks Lodge 126
Against The Grain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
VA BBQ PIRATES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinybud View Post
I'm really considering the myron mixon class in feburary down at his home in georgia,,, but not sure I can make it ,,might have to wait for another one,, but I do want to take one,,, think it would be allot of fun,, and very valuable in helping at comps.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about this class & talked to Myron about it in Lynchburg. If my wife didn't just get layed off I'd be considering it.

For me the reason to take a class is to pick up the little things or to tweek something that will give me a couple more points here or there (And maybe introduce a new chicken cooking method to consider).

I wouldn't expect a class to make me a champion though any more than I would expect a couple of guitar lessons would get me a gig with Van Halen.

Tom
VA BBQ PIRATES is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was talking to RonL about his experience with the cooking class he just took. He said that one of the keys to it is to develop consistancy with your cooking. That claim can certainly be backed up by the many comp. cooks here like Rod Gray that are usually in the money.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
MilitantSquatter

It all depends on where you're starting point is at. A decent cook, who plans well and has spent some time on the forum asking or reading can gain a ton of insight to assist them in cranking out a decent performance.

I don't think classes are necessary to win at all, as many here have proven over time, but a comp class will help with some of the finer points, provide creative ideas to adapt to your own style etc and many do have a lot of fun hanging with other cooks as well.

Good Luck !!
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #10
beam boys bbq
is one Smokin' Farker

i have taken classes and i have learned more from you all here and from trial and error and cooking an contest with other teams

york
beam boys bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 02:59 PM   #11
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We are big believers in classes. We took QN4U's class early, before we learned many bad habits, but then again we were so green that most of the information flew right over our heads. We repeated the class at the beginning of this year, which set us up for a pretty nice season. Taking the class for the third time last weekend, we can honestly say we STILL learned new things. It's as if your relative skill level expands what you infer from the same data presented.

We'd love to go do some other classes, but the travel involved, missed work and having two boys in school aren't making it look good at the moment.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #12
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If somebody is winning, and willing to share some of that info I'm willing to learn. After talking to several people that have taken the class, Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg will be getting some of my money this year.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 04:06 PM   #13
Black Cat BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
We repeated the class at the beginning of this year, which set us up for a pretty nice season. Taking the class for the third time last weekend, we can honestly say we STILL learned new things. It's as if your relative skill level expands what you infer from the same data presented.
I wondered about that too. I thought about taking another class but given by different instructors/champs. Everyone does things just a little bit differently and the more info the better.

We learned a lot at our class - all the champs seem to have their thoughts about BBQ and its really interesting to hear why. The big focus for us was all the info about how to make a good rub/sauce. Being consistent was the theme with everything. Once you can consistantly produce the same results (whether good or bad) you are on the right track.

Taking all the information from a class and applying to what people do or say here has been unbelievably helpful. We havent won anything but it sure has been lots of fun in the process!
Black Cat BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky River BBQ View Post
Ok...here is my question. Do you think that a cooking class is a necessity to win at comps, or can just plain ol' trial and error get it done? I am debating about a class, but there are none close to me. Thoughts?
people have won before there were classes.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #15
Double D's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

We've taken classes in order from:

1. Texas Rib Rangers
2. Myron Mixon
3. Fast Eddie and Paul Shatte
4. Mike & Debbie Davis
5. Chris Lilly
6. Bart Clarke & Donny Teel
5. Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg

I can honestly tell you that we've taken something away from every class we've taken and have put little bits of it from each class into practice with our own style of Barbecue. Has it made us grand champion anywhere yet? No but we've improved from the bottom of the second half of the contests to a level of consistency that usually puts us in the top 10 consistently and gives us a shot at doing well. Last year in a two month span we had three reserves, a third, and a fourth and missed the Grand at Madison by .0006 of a point. So for us anyway it has helped and we had a wonderful time meeting these great people that teach the class and share their knowledge with us. Highly recommended!
4. Primo Oval
5. Stumps GF 223
6. FEC 100
7. Backwoods Smoker - Fatboy
8. Traeger Texas Grill (BBQ 075)
Double D's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote