BBQ shrimp.

T

trouserchili

Hey all, I picked up some big farkin shrimp at Costco today and was planning on smoking them. But after reading this thread I'm having second thoughts. I've had smoked shrimp at a local place called "Annie Gunn's" here in St. Louis, and they were excellent if terribly expensive. I was hoping to mimic their creation here at home.

Regardless, after reading that thread I'm thinking a hybrid approach would be best. But I'm not sure about times and the order of events. I'm thinking maybe 7 minutes on the grill, turning once and then 25 minutes in the smoker with hickory. Then serving with Super Smoker's Kansas City sauce. I'm just not sure if it would be better to smoke first and then grill. Any thoughts?

I'll already have the Bandera fired up for some baby backs as well.

Oh, and hi! It's been awhile.

Go with New Orleans style bbq shrimp.

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]BBQ Shrimp is a classic New Orleans staple. Quite a misnomer, as anyone who puts BBQ sauce on or near this dish should be sent packing. This is super easy to prepare, and my version REQUIRES Abita Amber beer, one of the best I have found for cooking.

Ingredients

Software

1 lb. Shrimp (heads still on)
2 Sticks Butter
½ Large White Onion
4 Cloves Garlic (Peeled and Smashed)
Olive Oil
Worcestershire Sauce
1 Bottle Abita Amber Beer (Do Not Substitute)
Juice of one lemon
Garlic powder
Coarse Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
CajunLand Crab/Shrimp Boil (Powdered)

Hardware

2 Quart Saucepan
Large Pyrex baking dish

Prep (5 minutes)

Dice Onion
Smash Garlic
Clean shrimp and lay them in one layer the baking dish, sprinkle with kosher salt

Cook (15 minutes)

1. In the saucepan, sauté onion until translucent, then add garlic (yes, in chunks), then the two sticks of butter.
When butter has liquefied, add each seasoning while stirring – garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne, crab boil, and Worcestershire sauce. <

Add the olive oil, squeeze in the lemon, stir, and then add about half of a bottle of beer (6-8 oz.).

Keep stirring; drink the rest of the beer.

When the foam from the beer subsides, pour the sauce over the shrimp in the baking dish.

Place under the broiler for about 10 minutes, stir, then another 5 minutes, or until shrimp are pink and cooked.

Remove from broiler and let rest for at least ten minutes.
[/FONT]

I always grill them, either bacon wrapped or with just a bit of rub then tossed in a lemon butter garlic with a pinch of red pepper flakes as they come off the grill. Good luck and let us know how they turn out.

willkat98 said:
No chit its been a while

Welcome back Trouser chili

In the "People I miss" thread in Woodpile, your listed in there a few times

Yeah, since my son was born I just never have time anymore.

Trouserchili, good to see you Brother!! I ususally grill shrimp over wood and get enough smokey flavor that way. Not sure if it will replicate what you're after but the small size and texture make the shrimp absorb alot of smoke in a short time.

I'm in agreement with most on the old thread that smoking shrimp is not the best way to go.

I smoked them once with what I thought was a great lemon, basil and cajun seasoning... What a waste, tasted like a sponge and was way to smoky... could barely taste the seasonings.

High heat direct over the grill on firebox is my choice now if I'm still wanting some smoke flavor and better texture.

Back