Mom's Caramel Rolls

Oldyote

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I posted some pictures of me and Scarlett making caramel rolls for Butterday. I've had a few requests for the recipe so here it is.

I putting this in Q-talk but I would understand if the mods want to move it. I have made these in my BGE so it can be done :wink:.

These were something my Mom made around the holidays or anytime we bugged her enough. I loved them as a kid an still do. She passed away a year or so ago. So now when I make them I think of her and her kitchen how she seemed to love everything about cooking and baking. I'm not much of a recipe writer so forgive the hap hazardness of this post. Hopefully you can decipher it enough to make the recipe if you are so inclined.

Dough (the hard way)
2 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
1 & 1/4 cup warm water
1/4 Cup plus 1/2 tsp. granulated (white) sugar
2 Tbs. + a little extra melted butter or shortening (Mom liked Crisco)
1 egg
3 1/4 cups white flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Dough (the lazy way)
Mom said, "If you are lazy you can also just use frozen bread dough". This is the stuff you find in the market that usually comes 4 loaves to a bag. You will need 1 loaf per cast iron pan. If planning to use the "frozen" dough you will need to allow the appropriate amount of time to thaw. This just requires a little advanced planning. I like to let it thaw in the refrigerator for about a day before I want to use it.

Filling
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup butter

Caramel
3/4 to 1 Cup brown sugar
3/4 to 1 Cup whipping cream

To make the dough (hard way)
Add 1/2 tsp. of white sugar to 1/4 cup warm water and allow to dissolve. Add 2 1/2 tsp. dry yeast and stir till smooth. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
Add 1 egg to 1 Cup warm water then add the melted butter (or shortening) to yeast mixture and stir.
Mix 3 Cups Flour, 1/4 Cup white sugar and 1/2 tsp. salt.
Pour water mixture into a large bowel and slowly add your mixture of flour, sugar and salt. Stir until stiff and then knead the dough until dough is fully kneaded or you are tired (10 to 12 minutes by hand or 8 minutes in stand mixer). Take your "little extra" butter/shortening and lightly coat the dough. Cover and let rise for 35 to 45 minutes.

Filling
Combine 1/2 Cup white sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon
Soften 1/2 cup butter
Find the center and cut bread dough in half. Take some of your extra flour and sprinkle on a hard surface. Roll out each half until roughly the size of a cake pan (11x14). Take equal portions butter (1/4 cup) and spread over dough. Sprinkle 1/2 filling mixture (cinnamon and sugar) evenly over butter. Roll with narrow side toward you as tightly as you can. Once rolled cut into 7 equal sized rolls.

Caramel
Combine 3/4 to 1 Cup brown sugar and 3/4 to 1 Cup whipping cream in cast iron pan (at least a 10 inch pan). Stir until well blended and consistent in color.

Final Step
Now add your rolls into the pan of "caramel" spacing evenly but not touching. Let rise for 1/2 hour or longer if it seems like they need it.
Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. Rolls are done when tops are nice and brown. Mom says it is best to have a curved place to catch the extra caramel. Once out of the oven let cool for a few minutes and then quickly but carefully turn pan upside down and allow rolls to drop onto plate. Spoon remaining caramel over the tops of rolls.

Note
I will admit that I usually take the lazy way out and buy the frozen bread dough.

Variations
This was how my Mom told me to do it many years ago when I called her and asked for the recipe. I've tried a few variations that she would likely shake her head at but kids will be kids. It's hard to say with any specificity what the variations have been. It is really pretty hard to mess this up especially if you are using the "frozen" bread dough. I've used an entire loaf instead of cutting it in half and then you just get bigger rolls and may have to use a couple of pans and double your caramel/filling. I've used more sugar and cinnamon as well as more butter. For the Butterday Rolls I used frozen bread dough and instead of cutting the loaf in 1/2 I used a 3/4 loaf for each pan, doubled the caramel recipe, and put seven rolls in two pans instead of 14 in one. Like I said it is sort of hard to mess this up. I think they are best when they are still warm from the oven but they are also great for a day or two at room temperature. They might be great even longer than that but they never last that long around here.

Some Pictures

This was from a two or three years ago and it looks like we followed the original recipe.

This was from Butterday 2013 where I used 3/4 of a loaf of bread dough per pan. Each pan had 1 Cup of Whipping Cream and 1 Cup of Brown Sugar.

If you give this a try let me know how it turns out for you. If you read through the recipe and something doesn't make sense send me a PM. Thanks for looking.

Ric

Fantastic, Ric. The joyful expressions in the last pic really got to me.

Those look Great. Wouldnt mind a roll with a hot cup of coffee about now.

Thanks for sharing a family recipe, it's one thing I love about this "place"! I'll be making these soon and will let you know how they go!

Wow, looks great. I am a caramel junkie and this would push me over the edge ;)

Thanks so much for this recipe.

I'll be doing these soon, they look amazingly tasty :hungry:

Pretty sure I will be trying this one when its too cold to be outside on Saturday they look great

Thanks Ric for sharing....looks like you had a pretty good helper there too.....never to young to learn how to cook.....Man do i have a sweet tooth :whistle:

mmm,mmm good looking and I know they're tasty.
Thanks for the recipe, being I'm a sweetaholic, I havta try these.

I used to make a loooot of these suckers six days a week at the bakery for a few years. These look outstanding!
I haven't made cinnamon rolls in about a year's time for my family. This may be the kick in the ass to get me to make some soon.

Thanks man, I've been wanting a recipe for these from a proven source!

Those look outstanding.........on my "to do" list now:-D.

Thanks for sharing Ric!

KC

Delicious looking rolls Ric and Scarlett! You two make a great team. :thumb:

Back