Small Butt Small BGE

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Yesterday morning I put a small 5 lb butt on the small BGE. It was rubbed with Yardbird and Simply Marvelous Cherry and injected with an apple juice/rub combo. The Egg was packed pretty tightly with Wicked Good and some apple and manzanita chunks (thanks to Brethren Rodney for bringing some to the Bash last Oct).

This was taken right before foiling:
IMG_7197.jpg

Just recently started using Stoker Log, I find it interesting to see how the cooker temps fluctuate when the fan turns on & off (some pretty large swings in temps). I will definitely be making Boshizzle's Stoker fan mod and see what kind of impact it has on the temp swings.

StokerLog-2011_02_12-5lbButt.jpg

I had a target temp around 225-235 for the first 2 hrs and then pushed the cooker temp up to the 265-275 range.

After 6 1/2 hours I pulled the butt (IT 203-204). Rested it in a preheated cooler stuffed with towels for 3 hrs. When I pulled it, IT was still 170+ and I was rewarded with some really juicy and extremely easy to pull pork:

IMG_7208.jpg

Today I took at look inside the Egg to see how much lump was left:

IMG_7212.jpg

then stirred it up a little to clear the ash:
IMG_7216.jpg

Whew! Certainly not much lump to spare. I had packed this one tightly and about 1/2 inch over the top of the fire box. I've packed about an inch little higher before for 6.7 lbs of pork and managed to get 10 1/2 hours but at lower temps. That's been my longest burn on the Small Egg.

Anyone have any other techniques to getting a longer burn time in a Small BGE?

Good looking Small butt and pulled pork! I don't have a small that seems like a reasonable amount of charcoal left.

Great job John! Good lookin' meat. That amazes me you can get a burn for that long on that little guy.

Like tight jeans! I like using the small for chicken Breast, burgers for 3. Have yet to do a long cook.

Like tight jeans! I like using the small for chicken Breast, burgers for 3. Have yet to do a long cook.

I don't usually use the Small for long cooks but every once in a while I only want to cook a little (just for the Mrs and me) and don't want to burn a bunch of lump in the XL. My first 2 attempts at butts on the Small with BGE/Royal Oak ended up finishing either in the oven or in the XL Egg.:tsk:

I'm 2 for 4 on long cooks on the Small now but I think I'm pushing it pretty close to its limit.

Have you ever tried this without the Stoker? I have a small BGE and was thinking about doing this. Do you think you would have had as long a burn without the stoker?

The pork looks great.

Back