• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Trimmed pork collars

The board raised their eyebrows frrom ones I talked to but no talk of action. I think they'd be very surprised at the teams cooking ILLEGALLY! It's about time teams were named if you ask me. Snake River Farms apparently spilled the beans on several. When I emailed them as just an "interested" person in purchasing their product and asked questions, they didn't both responding. I think they know.

Please address the cut, not just the fact that SRFs was selling under weight cuts to comp teams. We all already know that under weight pork is illegal.

A lot of people (me included) think that the cut should be legal (if over 5 lbs) and the meat comes from any part of the whole shoulder.

Hey Gene,
I'd like to suggest that instead of creating more micro rules we just change the rule to "It has to be pork, it can't be ribs, and it has to weigh at least five pounds". Period. Anybody wants to cook a ham or a loin I'm good with it. BBQ joints all over the country cook those cuts.

The way I understand it from my emails with those "in the know", the pork collar is coming off of a shoulder that is cut/harvested differently than our traditional shoulder that we all know and love. This newer shoulder cut is for export outside the US and the pork collar is a by-product of it. I do not believe you could harvest a pork collar from a cut-for-the-USA shoulder, the way I understand it.

The way I understand it from my emails with those "in the know", the pork collar is coming off of a shoulder that is cut/harvested differently than our traditional shoulder that we all know and love. This newer shoulder cut is for export outside the US and the pork collar is a by-product of it. I do not believe you could harvest a pork collar from a cut-for-the-USA shoulder, the way I understand it.
Sure you can, you just break the animal further back; at the 3rd or 4th rib vs the 1st. It would be a long butt, but it would still be a butt. Ray's right with his suggestion of anything but ribs weighing 5 lbs. Even an IMPS definition is pointless because the competitor can trim and repackage prior to the event. Unless the inspectors are going to start carrying needles, insert them into the pork butt and measure the distance from the end of the loin side to the blade bone there's really no way to tell. Hell, have you ever even seen a meat inspector with a scale?

I think I'm with Ray at this point... if it weighs 5lbs and used to oink.
Leave out the ribs and loin as well I guess, but the best Q comes from the shoulder anyway, so they would just handicap themselves by getting too creative.

I think I'm with Ray at this point... if it weighs 5lbs and used to oink.
Leave out the ribs and loin as well I guess, but the best Q comes from the shoulder anyway, so they would just handicap themselves by getting too creative.

Ray has a point, but I dread that kind of outcome. Think of it, a lot of people are already putting in multiple styles of meat from the shoulder, now expand it. You could end up with a box of pulled, ham, loin and god knows what else. Imagine the potential meat costs for a team just to build a box having 3 or 4 different pork meats to make up the one box.

I'm fine with Ray's proposed solution. It's easy enough to enforce and creates a level playing field.

Sure you can, you just break the animal further back; at the 3rd or 4th rib vs the 1st. It would be a long butt, but it would still be a butt.
I didn't say you couldn't, I said that's not the way a shoulder is cut for typical US packing/sale. Obviously they do it all the time (for export) which is why we have pork collars.

..be interesting to see what a 5lb piece of bacon would smoke up like...like a very well marbled brisket flat?

..be interesting to see what a 5lb piece of bacon would smoke up like...like a very well marbled brisket flat?

Just as most of us wouldn't go near a five pound slab of ribs a 5 pound pork belly probably wouldn't yield very good results for anything.

I dunno... I'd give that a taste.
52509147.jpg

I think this is a easy fix too....cook what you want but must be turned in as pulled pork only? Bet that wont fly? haha

I didn't say you couldn't, I said that's not the way a shoulder is cut for typical US packing/sale. Obviously they do it all the time (for export) which is why we have pork collars.

They do it for the US also... There is a spec and a IMPS item number for it.

Is that the 403A shoulder? I'm trying to learn this stuff. :confused:
I was picking the brain of the Director of Food Service Marketing of the National Pork Board, he was pretty patient with me.

Is that the 403A shoulder? I'm trying to learn this stuff. :confused:
I was picking the brain of the Director of Food Service Marketing of the National Pork Board, he was pretty patient with me.

Yes....

They are voting on it Friday.

"
  1. I motion that a Rep Advisory be created to state that the American term "Pork Collar" is indeed a part of the shoulder, and that it be accepted as a meat in the Pork category as long as it is 5 pounds or greater. "
Now I guess this means having packaging if it is small or it means the reps may get a scale. If you pretrim be able to prove when purchased it was more than 5 lbs.

Back