• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

How much do you charge

• Thread starter pop's smokin hot que
  • Start date
P

pop's smokin hot que

Just wondering what some of you charge for skinless, fatless, boneless pulled pork butt. I'm at the point where doing it at cost or less is no fun anymore. It was OK while I was learning. Now I have several repeat customers and need to know what others are doing.

I'm charging $11 a pound cooked and pulled... I give my customers a break if they want to pull it them selves... No one has taken me up on it yet....

Be interesting to see how much uncooked pork it takes and how much it costs for the uncooked in order to make that pound of cooked and pulled product.

How much does it cost

Thanks for your replies. I cook butts. My pulled pork is ready to use however you like no waste. Just went to Sam's 17.24lb cost $22.07. I would guess you lose 1/3. It takes 10 to 14 hours to cook. Pellet cost when it's cold about $15.00 plus foil pans bags etc. I would guess you end up with about 12 lb of meat. You figure it out.

If my math is right, that comes out to just under $3 per pound to produce then. Using the rule of thumb of selling for three times your cost, then $9 a pound is about right for the low end. What the market will bear is another matter.

... I would guess you lose 1/3. ...

I would use 40-45% for your loss factor. I've seen some estimates as high as 50%. You should run a couple of test and weigh it before cooking (or use weight off the package) and then once it is cleaned, pulled and package for sale. Besides the fat rendering off, you'll lose weight once you take out the bones and remove the excess fat.

They are gonna cook out 40-50%, meaning a 7.5-8lb but will weigh 4.25-4.5 lbs cooked. I sell it for $10 per pound and they ain't enough.

The better grade of meat you use will yeild more as well. My .02... We get $11 per lb for our as well.

We always estimate a 50% loss raw weight to cooked pulled meat. We may over shoot and have more meat than we thought, but I don't know of a time we ran short using that figure.

We charge $9 a pound vacuum sealed. This puts us right in the middle price wise of all of our competition (local q joints) and we sell ours vacuum sealed in the quantity the customer requests. The vacuum sealing gives us a one up on the local joints, and once people have tasted our meat, they seldom go back to the local places.

Thanks for your replies. I cook butts. My pulled pork is ready to use however you like no waste. Just went to Sam's 17.24lb cost $22.07. I would guess you lose 1/3. It takes 10 to 14 hours to cook. Pellet cost when it's cold about $15.00 plus foil pans bags etc. I would guess you end up with about 12 lb of meat. You figure it out.

At that cost, you need to be around the $10/# mark.

I typically figure on a 50% yeild...sort of a built in buffer. Those pellets are expensive! You'll want to figure about 4 times cost. Try to not ever go below 3x cost if you can help it...unless you're doing a favor.

$10 per pound is typical from my area. Where I grew up (just one state away) a pound of bbq will typically be in the $7-$8 range. All areas are different so it's important to know your costs...and market.

Pop's... I'm charging $8/lb "freinds & family" rate (ever widening circle) and $10/lb for everyone else. Based on what others are getting, I'm thinking it's time to kill the f&f rate. Paying waaay less than that at Restaurant Depot, so this easily covers costs & makes a profit even with wood, seasoning, etc. Pulled pork is pretty darn easy. Should have done that when I was in Texas....

Back