• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Where do you buy your spices at?

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am looking to make some fresh sausages, probably Mexican chorizo, bratwurst, and maybe a breakfast sausage for starters. In looking at the recipes, there are ingredients like white pepper, marjoram, caraway, nutmeg, ginger, thyme, oregano, etc.

Typically I'll buy some random brand from the grocery store in a little 3oz or less bottle, itll sit in my spice rack for who knows how long until I use it, degrading in quality after most likely spending a good amount of time on the shelf at the store.

I'd like to buy some fresher spices in larger quantities and store the excess in a better way. I feel like itll pay off particularly well in sausage making. Restaurant Depot had a good spice selection in larger quantities than the local grocer and I've been happy enough with what I've tried.

Buying bulk spices can save you, but there is an upfront cost involved. I recommend getting whole spices and grinding them yourself. They will have a lot longer shelf life.
I like butcher-packer.com, good quality, and cheap.

Buying bulk spices can save you, but there is an upfront cost involved. I recommend getting whole spices and grinding them yourself. They will have a lot longer shelf life.
I like butcher-packer.com, good quality, and cheap.

This was where I expected the conversation to go...probably need a dedicated burr grinder for the same reasons as coffee beans?

Penzeys or Oakridge BBQ.

Been a while since I looked at their bulk spice section but I'm clearly a yuge fan of all their other products :becky:

This was where I expected the conversation to go...probably need a dedicated burr grinder for the same reasons as coffee beans?

Yeah, ground spices have a shelf life of 6 months to maybe a year. Whole spices stored properly, can be kept for several years. A burr grinder is the best, but you can get by with any coffee grinder. I have used this Mr. Coffee Burr grinder for years.
https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Au...925495&sr=8-3&keywords=mr+coffee+burr+grinder

Penzeys is the only brand I buy, outside of blended BBQ rubs. There is a store over in KS that is a lot of fun, as long as you have plenty of money to spend. I think I spent $65 there this weekend, and left with a bag no bigger than what you get at the fast food drive through.

I forgo the grocery store spices for the very same reasons you mentioned. Besides you are buying something labeled "cinnamon", "thyme", or "oregano"; Each of these spices having multiple varieties, each variety having different flavors, yet each bottle is generically named without knowing which specific variety you are using. Yes there is a difference.

I buy spices from Oakridge and from Spices Inc when I am looking for specific varieties of a given spice. But I have to say that for most of my sausage, I buy pre-mixed blends from Plantation or from The Sausage Maker. It cuts down on the amount of individual spices I have to buy, saves me time weighing each individual spice, and I don't have to worry about freshness. But more importantly they purchase higher quality spices that are available to them when blending these mixes. Taste is their business...

Last edited:
I buy most of my spices whole, in reasonable quantities (and prices) at the local Indian grocery. They might not have some of the special spices like white pepper, but they have a lot of what I use regularly.

I also use https://www.amazon.com/Porlex-Mini-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0044ZA066/ref=asc_df_B0044ZA066/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167144008776&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7961164560158426466&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022900&hvtargid=pla-316095657817&psc=1 for grinding. Ceramic burr grinder, adjustable grind fineness, about as big as a spice jar so fits in the cabinet easily, and doesn't require electricity. There also chinese knockoffs by rhinowares and javapresse for half the cost.

I get mine from Atlantic spice in Mass.,small quantities to bulk, whole or ground and they are fresh.

Penzeys, and keep the bags in the freezer, filling smaller bottles for daily use.

Looks like there's a Penzeys store near you.

Indeed, about 10 minutes from my office even. I'll have to drop by over lunch one day.

Indeed, about 10 minutes from my office even. I'll have to drop by over lunch one day.
I've tried to convince my wife to go there, as she is the one who orders from them. She, knowing her weaknesses, refuses.

Thespicehouse.com
Penzeys sister, she doesn’t care who you voted for!

This is spot on! She even had to post about it when Penzey went on a lunatic political rant once. She said it's business and politics don't matter to her. I won't buy from Penzey's but I get great stuff from the Spice House.

Yup. They lost me, too. Switched to Spices Inc. and never looked back.

I have had good luck with Costco spices, they seem to experience good turnover, are inexpensive and tasty.

Back