Dry Aging with the SteakAger

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Seems like I'm not the only one doing a dry aging experiment at the moment.

I got my SteakAger about 2 weeks ago and I've just got the chance to get a rib eye roast to put in it. After waiting 3 days for the gases in the compressor to settle per their instructions, giving it the initial cleaning, and relocated the electronics unit as instructed by Kingsford (ice would build up with it in the default location), I plugged it in to give it a day or so to cool down. One thing I noticed right away was the noise level. It's definitely noisier than I expected, but not intolerable. Which is good since that thing needs to run for weeks while dry aging the beef. It also has a definite off gassing issue from the plastics when you first unpack it. By the time I plugged it in, the smell was not noticeable anymore.

I'm going to start with a 45 day dry age and then do a 30 day and then a 21 day dry age. Once they come out of the SteakAger, I'm going to cut them into steaks, grill up one to see how it taste, then vacuum seal the rest and freeze them. When I have all 3 lengths completed and get them all cut, vacuumed, and frozen, I'll pull one of each and defrost and grill them for a taste test. The reason for freezing the 21 day run is that I want to try to get all the steaks as close to the same condition before cooking for the test. It will be a long wait for the final taste test, but I think it will be worth it.

Here's some pictures from Day 1 of the 45 day dry aging:

The unit by itself:
yOZ18Tml.jpg

The rib eye roast:
Kblogtul.jpg

SteakAger Loaded:
WB5URrnl.jpg

Are you part of the Kingsford Steakager Family FB group? I have been following the discussions on there but haven’t pulled the trigger, so I am interested in your results!

Are you part of the Kingsford Steakager Family FB group? I have been following the discussions on there but haven’t pulled the trigger, so I am interested in your results!

I wasn't aware of that group, so I'll have to join it. Thanks for the info.

I just navigated to this FB group and read the first post--a bunch of people ranting about how poorly made this device is... I hope the OP experience with this product is different.

I just navigated to this FB group and read the first post--a bunch of people ranting about how poorly made this device is... I hope the OP experience with this product is different.

Like any group, there are those who whine :-D, but there is a lot of good info as well. You just have to read selectively.

I was one of the original backers of the Kickstarter...they sure have come a long way by the looks of it. My 1.0 version worked well, my biggest complaint was it needed to be bigger. Which it looks like it is now.

Well, it looks like I'm having the temperature issues that is being discussed in the FB group. I've got ice on the back wall even after moving the temp gauge as directed by Kingsford. The monitoring app reports 34 degrees but this picture shows a different temp:
7NNvsU5l.jpg

I'm going to leave everything as it is since the meat won't go bad in there at that temp, but I think this test run is probably a bust.

I'll keep you all posted about any fixes from Kingsford and how the meat is doing over time.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266301

I’m doing my own expiraments as well. It’s fun stuff. My oldest teaks I’ve pulled out are now at 70 days, and I’ve still got whole primal strips and ribeyes in their that will go to 90-100 day range.

Key findings that might help you:
1. When you cook the steaks, they literally have to be medium rare to rare. If they get up to medium, their ruined.
2. Age them longer. 21 days you’ll notice minimal to no difference what so ever. It’s when you get into the 35-40 range the flavor really changes.

I originally planned to do 30, 45, 60, and 90 day side by sides but extended those times after I tried the 30ish day.

I received one of these for christmas;The steakager 30. I'm returning mine after reading about all the issues everyone is having. I don't feel I should i have to rotate a fan, change a bulb, etc etc, for this to work. I would've built my own for that matter. Hopefully they get their product together, because I really wanted one..

Please keep us posted on how yours is..

I got a vacuum sealer for Xmas and I've got some Umai bags a friend gave me. I'm going to start there.

I can't find this group on Facebook. I got my steakager last week and it's been having issues.

I was thinking about trying the steak locker before I saw the steakager. The steak locker is bigger and costs a lot more ($1500) which is why I wanted to see if the cheaper alternative was worth looking into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today is day #7. Thought you all might want to see how it's going. Still have frost on the back wall and a temp diff between what the app says and what my thermopop reads, but the steak appears to be aging.

Here it is on day #7:
mvzhLXpl.jpg

And as a reference, here it was when I put it in:
WB5URrnl.jpg

38 days to go.

Back