MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
DirtyChurro
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
Beer run eh?
It was actually a legitimate, last minute appointment with a dietician who is helping me with my diabetes. I just recently got on an insulin pump, changing from daily injections, and I needed assistance with programming it. I hadn't planned on leaving originally. I wish it was a beer run. Alcohol is hell on diabetes...
DirtyChurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 10:34 PM   #17
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That is so cool that your son took control and did what was needed to do. Really good for his confidence and self esteem. Great life lessons are hard to come by. That is a good one!

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Holy chit! Good to hear that everyone is safe and the house is ok. Now grill that kid his own porterhouse - he earned it!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyChurro View Post
It was actually a legitimate, last minute appointment with a dietician who is helping me with my diabetes. I just recently got on an insulin pump, changing from daily injections, and I needed assistance with programming it. I hadn't planned on leaving originally. I wish it was a beer run. Alcohol is hell on diabetes...
Sorry for the comment I made, I was just joking around.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #20
kirk fortin
Knows what a fatty is.

Good to hear you and your family are safe....im sure he already knows but this might bring you and your son closer with Grilling/Smoking foods so you can watch eachothers backs more too.
kirk fortin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #21
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

For safety concerns, next time take it off the the propane smoker and put it in the oven. There is not much difference. If you want to add more smoke put it back on the smoker when you get home. I understand you are trying to get smoke flavor on the meat but this would eliminate leaving a smoker unattended.

Glad to hear that everything turned out okay.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 AM   #22
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thank you for taking the time to post your story. Safety is an initial and ongoing concern. Valuable post. Thank you

Last edited by 16Adams; 04-24-2013 at 04:16 AM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #23
SmokinM
Full Fledged Farker

Glad no-one was hurt and kudos to your son for a job well done.
SmokinM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #24
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Curly

Was the tank up to date? I thought propane tanks were required to have a device in them to shut off when there is a sudden decompression like a hose break.
Maverick 732
UDS
[COLOR="Red"]Thermapen Mk4[/COLOR]
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #25
Cherrywood
On the road to being a farker

Glad everyone's ok. Thanks for the reminder.
Cherrywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

Glad to hear it all worked out. Your son is very cool under fire. {No pun intended}
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyChurro View Post
The connection at the propane burner failed and started burning the paint off. My 11 year old son came home from school, saw it on fire, called me, shut off the propane tank, which was "spewing fire like a flamethrower", and beat the small portion of the porch that was on fire with a shovel before I could get there. He's my hero.
I'm glad you're all unhurt and your house survived.

Please consider HankB's sage advice:

Sometimes I think I'm being too much of a ninny when I point out to people the risks in their setup. And then I hear stories like yours.

I used to roll as a paid on call firefighter and rolled on the occasional grill gone bad.

Please put yourself more than one mistake away from disaster. We all make mistakes. Don't put yourself in a position where that mistake results in disaster. Fire in a garage, porch, on a deck or too close to a structure is just a bad idea waiting to teach you a lesson.

/rant

I'm glad your son was there to intervene.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #28
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow. Good for him being quick thinking

Old 04-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #29
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Bullet dodged, thank God.

The only mistake that your son made was calling you. He should have called the fire department. If he could make a call, that's where it should have gone. You should make him aware of that. If it had gotten out of hand without the FD on their way . . . well I don't want to think of what the posts here may have been like.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #30
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow! Very very lucky to say the least. Glad to hear things turned out the way they did