MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

View Poll Results: Do you find comment cards helpful?
Yes 164 83.25%
No 20 10.15%
Uncertain 13 6.60%
Voters: 197. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 PM   #61
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthanson View Post
That's what we do up here in the PNWBA, pork at 11, brisket at 12, chicken at 1, ribs at 2, awards at 4. At the comp two weekends ago we received a comment card from just about every judge in every category....but we also received 9,9,9,8,7,4 for brisket tenderness
Pnwba also has a list of words to choose from to help judges give feedback. This is why you see repeat comments. It provides a theme to how his cook went

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #62
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Salty, plain smoke flavor, peppery...and a 5, wow. Lol...to me that is the definition of Brisket!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #63
Haastyle
Full Fledged Farker

I love the comment cards. There is no shortage of judges out there for normal comps so who cares if you make them spend a little more time taking a real interest in what they are doing. If they aren't willing to explain themselves as to why they think or feel that way.... you didn't want them anyways. Then it is clear that the judge thinks the game is about him/her, and not the food. Make it about the food.

I would say for small comps and state qualifiers make them manditory. IF you're winning and moving along further up the ladder, you aren't needing or looking for advice at that big contest. And being one of 400 teams.. a few comments are not what you are looking for. Setting guidelines as to what type of event should get them is a easy way to not complicate dealing with 24 cards per team at large events.
Anything comp under.... 100 teams gets them, whatever. Table captian collects and sorts them for each teams at his table right there. They would then take them to a secondary table for other meat comment cards to join. They can run them to that table inbetween each meat catagory... like a bingo sheet LOL, or a filing drawer(which would be easier). All the organizing is done and done quickly. Takes like 5 minutes, so easy.

I also don't feel KCBS would need to gather this data either. If you get a explaination from 5 people that are similiar and sixth is way off. You can easily dismiss that one as a fool and leave it at that. Chalk it up to bad luck that you got that person. These only need to be personal opinion notes meant solely for the cooker. If the idea would be to use this as a tool to help identify and "retrain" that judge, I am not interested in that just yet. Fix one problem at a time. Deal with retraining that guy later. Nothing like taking two toxic topics and try to resolve them both at once. Like peace in Isreal and the national budget. Doesn't work. Put your pants on one leg at a time. Get the comment cards out there. Once that is in place, then it is time to analize what assets you have infront of you and how best to manage judges within your set rules. First get what and why they think out there, then if you want to, look further into what they are saying. I as a competitor have no need to know who the person it. Just what they think.

If there needs to be more time for the judges....... bump the first turn in up half a hour and then make the turn ins at 45 minute interavals. It would be petty and small if someone couldn't adapt to that. Just stubborn jack***ery. That way the brisket will be turned in only 15mins later than it is already. That also give the judge almost 2 minutes per entry to make comments. That is more than enough time.
Haastyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #64
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by billygbob View Post
What comment would you expect for an average/6? "It was average"? "It could have been better"? Are you looking for the judge to tell you how you should have cooked? Judges are instructed to not do that in comments.
That 6 may be considered "average" but it and even a 7 is the kiss of death when it comes to finishing towards the top.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #65
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
That 6 may be considered "average" but it and even a 7 is the kiss of death when it comes to finishing towards the top.
So what you really want is for the judges to tell you why it wasn't excellent? Why it wasn't the best damn entry they judged? You want the judge to justify as to why they didn't think that your entry should have won.
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]CTC - KCBS[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=#a0522d]270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic[/COLOR][/SIZE]
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #66
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbq.tom View Post
So what you really want is for the judges to tell you why it wasn't excellent? Why it wasn't the best damn entry they judged? You want the judge to justify as to why they didn't think that your entry should have won.
Nope, I don't want them to tell me anything. Just give me an honest score that is fair when compared with others. I'm one of the few who don't care for comment cards and have found no benefit in them. But that's just my worthless opinion.

Why would you try to twist my comment? Just stating a fact.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #67
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Hats off to Candy for posting the poll and asking a simple question.

Second, I voted yes. I did not think it was a big deal for me when judging to fill out a comment card. And I fill out a lot!

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #68
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke'n Ice View Post
I am all in favor of the comment cards as is a concensus majority of the BOD. The only problem that I see is, the BOD member who is in charge of finding a solution, is against them in the first place and voted so. His job, as I understand it, is to form a committee and try to effect a solution. I think that ice water, cold day in Phoenix, etc. come to mind. We'll see.
and I would bet that person is also a rep and no comment cards have ever been handed out at a contest he reps
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #69
LindaM
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
It wouldn't bother me a bit, but I don't speak for everyone, so I see your point. Why not send the comment cards out via email or traditional snail mail the next day?
keying those comments after the contest is a long process. Then sending the emails. Reps just don't have that time
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #70
HawgPound
Found some matches.

If the comment tells me how to cook, it is not helpful. If the comment tells me what they liked or disliked about my turn in, it is very helpful.
HawgPound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #71
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince RnQ View Post
In 2011, the KCBS Rules Committee suggested that comment cards be modified so that there were check boxes that said things like:

Too Salty
Too Sweet
Too Spicey
Under Seasoned
Off Flavor
Over Cooked
Under Cooked

This idea was never addressed to the best of my knowledge but it sure seemed like a very good improvement to those of us on the committee.
The above would be useful. Most comment cards I have heard of have not been helpful at all. For example, the one comment card I received said "the sauce got in my mustache".

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #72
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaM View Post
keying those comments after the contest is a long process. Then sending the emails. Reps just don't have that time
Well then lets make the comment card and the scorecard one sheet as others have suggested.

If anyone would care to come up with more obstaclea to mandatory comment cards/checklists, I will be happy to continue providing simple easily performed solutions to them.

No sarcasm intended here.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #73
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
The above would be useful. Most comment cards I have heard of have not been helpful at all. For example, the one comment card I received said "the sauce got in my mustache".
They obviously meant you put too much sauce on, so much it was messy.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 12:17 AM   #74
HawgPound
Found some matches.

The scoresheet on this page could foster some ideas fo comment cards.

http://www.bbqcritic.com/news.html
HawgPound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #75
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here's what beer judges use for a score sheet on every single entry. It can be tedious, and I'm not sayin' there needs to be this kind of depth for a BBQ entry, but check it out. You'll see what I mean.
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/SCP_BeerScoreSheet.pdf

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote