MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #271
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

What is the ideal size for smoking a bird? And when is it too big for outdoor smoking? What's to big?

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #272
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

14lb butterball
24hr brine (basic salt-sugar, threw a bunch of garlic powder in with it)
spatchcocked, removed the leg quarters (only holding on my skin anyways)
Injected half with Tony Cacheres Cajun Butter
Injected other half with clarified butter
When it got close to done (130ish in breast), I threw into a foiled pan with 1/2lb butter chunks on top and covered with foil.

Clarified butter side was near perfect. Cajun butter side was overly salty with a fake cajun flavor going on.

shot for 300+ top rack
Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #273
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverettBBQ View Post
I have been smoking turkey for 35 some odd years.
I will smack down anyone with a 1 day brine and low and slow turkey. (225 not 300).
Heck, I could do a roasted turkey in the oven at 325!!!
Smoking is a slow and smoke flavored process.
If you want to put a turkey in a foil pan, cover it with foil and "smoke" it at 300 deg, he'll put it in the oven and save your wood!!
Love you all!
Do you get crispy skin? If so, what is your technique for doing so at such low n slow temps?

Thanks
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #274
BLANKS
Got rid of the matchlight.

Here's my dilemma. We're doing T-Day at my parent's house (not far away, about 20 minutes). My plan was to smoke a 20 lb turkey on my UDS on Wednesday (off that day) and then re-heat it on Thursday. I used this method for a couple of chickens over Labor Day, but after reading the quick cook times (I figure 4 hours or so at 325-350) I may just get up early Thursday and cook it in the morning. My fear is that I'll put it on around 6 or 7 am and it will cook slower than expected and we'll be late getting to mom and dad's house.

I've smoked a turkey before, but we had everyone come over to our place, so the cook time didn't have to be so precise.

Has anybody out there re-heated a turkey the day after smoking it? When we re-heated the chickens, we just added a little water to the pan and cooked for about an hour at 250.
BLANKS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #275
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLANKS View Post
Has anybody out there re-heated a turkey the day after smoking it? When we re-heated the chickens, we just added a little water to the pan and cooked for about an hour at 250.
I haven't reheated a turkey but I have taken one off, put it in a cooler (which I preheated with hot water) and wrapped in towels before driving over an hour to where I took it out and found the IT still at 170°F. You can rest a big bird for quite a while and that gives you some flexibility in our planning should you decide to cook the morning of.

And besides... If you have the bird, they can hardly start without you.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #276
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I'd just do it and if your late, make them deal with it

Old 11-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #277
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
What is the ideal size for smoking a bird? And when is it too big for outdoor smoking? What's to big?
I'd say the ideal size for just about any kind of cooking is about 12 lbs.
No particular reason why I guess, other than that size bird will fit in a brine bucket easily, will fit on the Turkey Cannon, etc.

I'm going to do a 20 lb'er this year. I just won't be able to use the Cannon.
No matter, I'll just stuff it with aromatics, truss it and smoke it.

If it'll fit on your smoker, it'll smoke.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #278
BecknCO
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untraceable View Post
14lb butterball
24hr brine (basic salt-sugar, threw a bunch of garlic powder in with it)
spatchcocked, removed the leg quarters (only holding on my skin anyways)
Injected half with Tony Cacheres Cajun Butter
Injected other half with clarified butter
When it got close to done (130ish in breast), I threw into a foiled pan with 1/2lb butter chunks on top and covered with foil.

Clarified butter side was near perfect. Cajun butter side was overly salty with a fake cajun flavor going on.

shot for 300+ top rack
Thanks! That just helped me make my mind up about screwing with the injection. Just going to use butter only for the injection, then aromatics in the cavity and simple spicy rub on the outside. It just occured to me that I don't want to be using anything unnatural if I've paid so much to have an organic bird (SWMBO made me get it since it was so good last year)

Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #279
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

My only suggestion with the clairified is letting its temp drop down a bit before injecting. When I started injecting, I was using the flimsy TC injector and the plastic got a little soft then I switched to a sturdier injector. I probably should have let the butter cool even more and maintained injectability

Old 11-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #280
chuckd83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Common sense: basting a turkey with the skin on does nothing. Have you ever had water penetrate your skin while taking a shower?

Has anyone ever taken the skin off and replaced it with cheese cloth? Then baste that?
chuckd83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #281
Mrtodd777
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckd83 View Post
Common sense: basting a turkey with the skin on does nothing. Have you ever had water penetrate your skin while taking a shower?

Has anyone ever taken the skin off and replaced it with cheese cloth? Then baste that?
I agree with you there but I am not sure if the intention of basting is to have a juicier bird. I may be totally wrong but I always thought that basting was meant to help with crisping the skin?
As far as the cheesecloth, I have been reading up on that and it seems most people use it with the skin still on in order to help crisp the skin while not overbrowning it.
Mrtodd777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #282
chuckd83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Is there a purpose, then, if you don't eat the skin? I think I have an experiment bird set aside this year. So we're going to do some experimenting: remove skin, season bird, soak cheese cloth in butter and cover bird, baste regularly.
chuckd83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #283
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

A link to grilled turkey on america's test kitchen. They chose to salt the bird over brining.
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/e...y-on-the-grill

Old 11-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #284
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlazy View Post
Spatchcock cook time vs whole?
...I never timed any of the spatchcock turkeys I made in the past.
Wife wants to eat between 4-5pm so I'm thinking 23lb bird cooked at 325-350 2-2/12 hrs maybe? Also I'll have a pan of gravy on the lower rack of the WSM so I was thinking about firing her up around noon getting bird on 2pm.
Any thoughts?
I'm doing the same thing - 22lb BB, brined, spatched and smoked around 325*; I have read elsewhere that spatchcocking will cut your cooking time in half, so if conventional method is 20 min/lb do we go 10 min/lb.? Plus I'd allow a little time for resting, at least thirty min.

Anyone else like oyster dressing for Thanksgiving? I'm thinking about making a pan in the smoker this year. Smoked oyster dressing sounds like it ought to be killer!
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #285
rogwadd
On the road to being a farker

Default Guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance..

so I don't poison myself or my guests.

I received a fresh Butter Ball turkey last Wednesday from a friend for Thanksgiving. It's been sitting on the bottom shelf of my fridge (under 40degrees) through last night night when I pulled it out to apply a dry brine and seal it up in plastic. I'm going to unpack it and let it air dry Wed night.

Butterball says their fresh turkeys will survive unopened refrigerated through the sell by date (which is Dec 2).

I don't think I need to sweat it, but it's really bugging me. Am I overthinking this? My method's the same as last year, but I got that turkey much later and just a 2 day brine.