MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave
Default Anybody wrap beef chuck ribs?

Got 4 very meaty 4 bone racks to cook tomorrow and thinking of just treating them like a H&F brisket: about 300*, 4 hours, wrap in BP for a couple more hours or probe tender then rest. Any thoughts?

Old 09-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

I'd treat them like pork spareribs. I cook mine at 250 then foil at about three hours until tender. Be sure to remove that tough membrane. Good luck.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-07-2013, 02:26 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here's a peek inside Adam Perry Lang's cooker

The results are fantastic - so I'm guessing wrapping is a fine thing to do with chuck ribs.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #4
landarc

I have wrapped them, as an experiment, and it worked great. It isn't really necessary unless you are trying to control color or bark texture. But, the two times I did it, the results were excellent, beautiful color, crisp thin bark and very juicy with melting texture.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I have done wrapped and not. If I have the time, lower temp without wrap works well for me but H&F wrapped does juts fine.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

I tend to find these take significantly longer that pork spares or baby backs, but that will be a function of how meaty yours are. I usually end up wrapping mine to help them along because they do take more time than I expect. They come out great.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I tend to find these take significantly longer that pork spares or baby backs, but that will be a function of how meaty yours are. I usually end up wrapping mine to help them along because they do take more time than I expect. They come out great.
I guess I'm on the same page as Gore.... with respect to meatiness, the way they look in the pit and how moist I can keep them. These for example were looking good during most of the cook, and they most likely got a short wrap to finish, and then I rest them (which I don't do with pork ribs).

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
dwfisk

I have a buddy that is a fellow cattleman & BBQer and happens to be a butcher so he has been on the look out for a source of "meaty" ribs. These happen to be Angus select and are about 3" thick (so about 2" of meat over the bone) with some really nice marbling. I think we will wrap with BP at an IT of about 170* then carry in the cooker to probe tender, then rest for an hour or so.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Diesel Dave

Looking forward to see how this cook turns out for you

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Looking forward to see how this cook turns out for you
My son is lighting up his home built vertical stickburner about 9:30 AM tomorrow; we will post a thread for the cook.

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Can't wait to see the thread of beef rib pr0n!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
dwfisk

Default The Cook Thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=170596