First cook on homemade Bigmista balcony smoker clone

Norcoredneck

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Here is adjusted temp 1hour into cook. Dial reads 220 deg. 4" in, Probe reads 250 deg. 9" in.
temp.jpg

Here is adjustment air valve.
valve.jpg

Not bad for 25+MPH. winds. Hopefully I can keep it up.
Cooking 3 butts from Costco.

Norco-

Didn't see a thread for the construction of that...was there one???? Inquiring minds and all that...

Bigmista has a thread, I used some info. Modelmaker made "EDS". And I used ideas from BDS site. Was simple to make. I am hoping original paint (outside) burns off so I can go High temp. Note: no paint on inside, used new drum from McMastercarr.com.

Workin out great. 1.5 hour and still holding temps. Wind so bad it actually pushed drum a few inches!

Last edited:
Turned out pretty cool Norcoredneck Hope it works for ya when you make that big cook.

As we speak, 2 hours into cook and just throttled back on air flow. crept up to 275.

Looking great Norco! I like the wheels and air intake valve. Definitely will be additions on the next model.

5.5 hours into cook. Meat at 160-170 deg. wouldn't you know it my Weber remote thermometer won't work. Good thing my wife got me a Thermopen for Christmas.
IMG_1925.jpg

Bad news had to foil. Did not want to raise barrel temp. Was hoping to ride this one out. Daughters 14th birthday and wife promissed to take her to Cheesecake Factory. She let me know if I pull it tonight She will eat a sammy for breakfast.

.. looks terrific! Show that top assembly when you can. That drum smoker design keeps getting my attention .... the vertical spacing from fuel to product is critical and I just can't "fake" it with the BGE. Too many solid reports about 'BDS-style' cooks to not be impressed. Good job !!

really looks great may need to make on for my collection psss don't tell my wife please :shock:

Hope alls not board. Can't believe how good it is working. 7hours ito cook, original 12# load of Kingsford. Wind gusting.
IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

... many thanks for these pics. This design looks very 'dooable' for somewhat less than a BDS (plus shipping to the West Coast).

Norcoredneck said:
Bigmista has a thread, I used some info. Modelmaker made "EDS". And I used ideas from BDS site. Was simple to make. I am hoping original paint (outside) burns off so I can go High temp. Note: no paint on inside, used new drum from McMastercarr.com.

Workin out great. 1.5 hour and still holding temps. Wind so bad it actually pushed drum a few inches!

I would love it if you would post a link to the Specs. thread. Very intrigued:wink:

Back