Houston update

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Gore (surprise!)
Hi, I just got back from helping my daughter move to Houston. I spent a bit more time and got to a few BBQ places. There hasn't been a lot of information and things keep on changing. Only hit these places once, so take variability into account. I'm ordering these in a rough order of where I would prefer to go based on my very limited dataset. I'm also adding a couple others I've been to recently:

1. Pit Room: Had brisket, ribs, chicken tacos, turkey. Brisket was the best I had on this trip, really solid and really good. Tacos also excellent. This was by far the best turkey I've had, extremely juicy.

1. Roegel's: Had brisket, ribs and chicken. Brisket was extremely good, just a wee tad down from Pit Room. Ribs were better than any I had on this trip. They were extremely good, they had a slight sweetness, very slight and a flavor that was unique.

3. Tejas and Chocolate: This is a fairly new place on the outskirts to the northwest and I've been hearing talk of it lately, so thought I'd pop in. Everything was solid, but not quite as good as the previous two. The chocolates were REALLY good. The Hufflepuff was our favorite.

3. Rice and Brisket: I didn't eat here this time, but visited a few months back. It is Asian influenced. At that time they had a very limited menu of brisket and rice. I had the brisket on brisket fried rice. It was the best fried rice I've ever eaten. Brisket was solid as well.

5. Killen's: I didn't make it there this trip, but did on a couple previous trips. There is a lot of hype, and the meal was pretty solid, but it didn't wow me as I expected it to. The pork belly was really good and the best thing I ate there.

6. Goode BBQ: This is a chain and judging by the number of cars in the parking lot, it has some fans. Had sausage, chicken and brisket. It was all good, but it didn't leave me wanting more and we didn't really feel like eating BBQ again afterward -- next meal was Mexican.

7. Truth: This is a big name and I didn't actually eat there, but my daughter did. Apparently her new job supplies lunches on Fridays and they had BBQ after we left, catered by Truth. FWIW, she said this was the worst of the lot. Granted this was take-out and I don't know how long it was sitting around. It made me want to eat there less.

I may or may not add some pictures later, if I remember how to upload them to the photo-host I'm using, but it's been so long, I can't remember ....

After reading your post, I couldn't help being reminded of a BBQ business here in New England. They claim to have the best BBQ in the state of Connecticut. The first time I heard it advertised, my thought was "I'd rather have the best bbq in the city of Houston than the state of Ct."

I'm from Southeast Texas and you could spend a lifetime visiting all the bbq places in the Houston area. If heading east on I-10, between Winnie, Tx and Lake Charles, La, you can find really good cajun boudin.

I was in Houston about a year ago and had Killens. It was really good, though we had to wait a really long time due to the lunch/dinner transition.

Over the past 10 years or so, I've visited the Houston are a bunch of times. We have a manufacturing plant in Pasadena east of Houston and a sales office on the west side by 8 & I-10. Goode BBQ on I-10 east of 8, was probably the worst BBQ I've ever had. I gave up on Houston BBQ many years ago. Tex-Mex, steaks & seafood!

Chain, but Pappasito's Cantina is awesome, get the quail! If you have some time, visit Gilhooley's Restaurant and Oyster Bar in San Leon. No kids allowed & cash only. GOOD Seafood!

Back