MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #1681
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

We're talking behind your back, Jeremy.
BTW, the pickles get better with age. 3-4 days.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #1682
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

It is Jeremy's business and it is his life too. He will spend a LOT of time there and, if the TV makes life more fun, he deserves it.

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-25-2014, 10:19 PM   #1683
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Interesting to see how interested people are about a cheap refurbished TV.

That's the least of my problems. This week has included theft, missed brisket delivery, underage girls giving me their phone numbers, needing to call the police, towing cars, staff fights, etc.

And that's the tip of the iceberg. If I've learned anything through this it's that you need to have thick skin, take everything people say with a grain of salt, and don't be surprised by anything people are capable of.

In other news, a record Friday today. A local brewery has started a brisket food truck in town for a few hours on the weekend, but don't see that as a concern. And I'm in talks with a local hog farm about possibly sourcing all local pork.

Lots of good stuff happening.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2014, 11:33 PM   #1684
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Is someone from the brewery running it or did they bring in someone to run it for them?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 12:27 AM   #1685
THoey1963
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Terry

Wait, tell us more about the girls and the phone numbers...

<kidding>

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-26-2014, 12:34 AM   #1686
smoke ninja

Bring it on

Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 AM   #1687
ShadowDriver

Name/Nickname : Marc
Default Drunken Brisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
A local brewery has started a brisket food truck in town for a few hours on the weekend, but don't see that as a concern.
I love it, brother... that's like you starting up a mobile brewery to "compete..." You obviously have your stuff in one sock on the barbecue front.

No matter what the staff say, you are The Boss. Kick ass and provide pink slips as needed. If they can't be professional about their duties, they have no business near yours.

Thanks very much for sharing your journey with the rest of us! We're behind you (at LEAST in spirit!) all the way and want you to succeed.

Keep the updates comin'.... even if they only provide you a place to vent before diving back in!

Kind regards,
SD
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 05:18 AM   #1688
Crakaveli
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
underage girls giving me their phone numbers,
what?
Crakaveli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 08:10 AM   #1689
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Yeah, we need to hear this phone number story. If I get groupies out of it, I might have to open a restaurant. I'm sure my wife will be OK with it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #1690
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Oh, you'll get some groupies, that's for sure. A girl wearing a high school cheerleading jacket just walked up and gave me a piece of paper with her name and number on it. I mean WTF? And my staff has said there have been a few ladies in here asking them about my relationship status. There are some crazy people out there.

As for the brewery brisket truck, I'm not sure who they are having run it. They have a small restaurant at their place and have offered some smoked foods for some time now. I'll have to go check it out next week and see how it is.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #1691
defence18
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Que View Post
No offense, but there is no way that you aren't losing customers with that long of a wait, especially during lunch when most people only have an hour to travel there, order, get their food, eat, and get back to work.
He's also losing customers just by virtue of being a BBQ restaurant because there are people that just don't like Q. Some people are never gonna be happy, and are only content if they aren't happy. It's a fact of life. Anyone who has done one second of research on the Pig knows about the lines, the waits, and the risk of running out of food. Buyer beware.

I, for one, applaud Jeremy for responding to what appears to be continuous requests for a TV. I'm not in his shoes, so I can't say if I would have bought it or not, but the fact that he can turn to his customers and say, "You ask, you receive," is pretty impressive. Sure as hell beats telling a regular that he can't afford having people hang around all day. If I'm the reg, that sends me a clear cut message: I'm nothing but a dollar sign to this guy. And all the evidence I see on the thread and on his facebook page is that Jeremy prides himself on seeing his customers return, not squeezing every dime from them.

Got my fingers crossed that on May 4, I'll make my first stop to the Pig. Heading up to Kalamazoo for a family friend's First Communion. I'm hoping that time permits a detour on the way back. Pretty sure my wife is letting me stop so I'll shut up about having to go there.

Oh and +1 on the pics of your food on the TV.
defence18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #1692
insaneh
Full Fledged Farker

Really looking forward to seeing what the summer brings for you Jeremy.
I whipped out a double batch of your pickle recipe this weekend. Also looking forward to those.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #1693
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliding_billy View Post
Not to sound like a jerk, but you should not be reviewing a place on Yelp if you do not have a personal experience with the establishment to share.
Oh boy...
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #1694
OneHump
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I see Dave G just left one

he's from CA
You all should report that one to Yelp, because people from CA aren't allowed to leave, so there is no way that guy could have been there.
OneHump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #1695
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHump View Post
Oh boy...
I use Yelp when I travel quite a bit and I would hope people are not positively or negatively reviewing places they have never been to just because they read a story about the guy's trials and tribulations with no first hand experience of the establishment...

As such, I see nothing wrong with sliding_billly's post that would warrant this response of your's above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHump View Post
You all should report that one to Yelp, because people from CA aren't allowed to leave, so there is no way that guy could have been there.
People travel and reviewer's location should not be cause for speculation on the validity of the review. However, I hope you have been there per my comment above.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->