Salmon

K

Kung Fu BBQ

I know to many fish is a no brainer but i don't eat it. I'm cooking some salmon tomorrow for a family gathering. I figured i'd just grill it, skin on maybe use a cedar plank.

Whats the best way to season a salmon? I've seen alot of lemon, salt, pepper and rosemary. Anyother preferences out there?

slather the top with a thin layer of white horseradish, not horseradish sauce but grated horseradish, season however else you like. the cooking takes the heat out but leaves the flavor, plus the moisture prevents the fish from drying out.

I keep it simple when grilling salmon with salt and pepper.

Smoke and Spice has an awesome Lightening Mop that I like to use when smoking Salmon.

The most important thing is not to overcook it. Get it done...just barely and no more.
One method that I use for skin on salmon: cut a few shallow slits in the skin side..the slits should penetrate the flesh a little (1/8 " or so).
Medium heated kettle----skin side UP...cover ...3 minutes...lift lid...
just the bottom of the slits should be raw. If not cover for another minute or so...then turn the fish over for 1-2 min. Thats for a 3 1/2 -4 pound
fillet. better to err on the side of undercooking.
Season it as you like...I usually don't, but have found that marinading in Italian salad dressing adds a new dimwension that most like.

I like to keep it simple for grilling, too... I like to use lemon-pepper seasoning (lawry's and others) and a little butter. I grill skin side down and check for doneness with a fork to see if the fish is starting to flake. Them I use a big grill spatula and lift off the flesh, leaving the skin on the grill (I clean it off later).

If you have tried the cedar plank, and like it, ... go for it! If not, I would not experiment with guests. We have done two with salmon and did not like either one. thirdeye does planked salmon a lot and uses alder planks ... I believe.

I agree with the KISS crowd !! Dill is an excellent choice with salmon with perhaps some lemon pepper .... watch out ... many lemon peppers are heavy on the salt!

Tom B

The best salmon I ever did was a fark up on my old gasser. I put it on - skin side down. Got a phone call and got distracted. Happened to look out and the grill was a farkin ablaze. I just knew I had ruined the fish. The skin had stuck to the grate, but the meat popped right out and was perfect! My wife & I ate the whole damn fillet. Delicious. Cant explain.

The skin took a hammer and chisel to get off.

My kids ask for Teriyaki Salmon and I am happy to oblige. Marinate in Yoshidas Gourmet or your favorite T-sauce for at least 4 hrs, then into the smoker at 220*-250* for @ 45 minutes with alder for smoke. It will be nice and moist and almost like candy. Quick and easy!
Check out www.justsmokedsalmon.com they have a bunch of very good recipes for salmon on the links page.

Marinate skin side down in EVOO for 30 minutes, and sprinkle some salt and pepper on the top. While marinating, mix the following:

3 TBSP softened butter, 1 tsp chopped basil, 1/2 tsp mayonaise, dash ground ginger. Once mixed, put in freezer to harden a bit.

Heat grill to high, put salmon on skin side down, and then add approx. 1 Tbsp of the flavored butter on top of each piece. Let cook 10 minutes, and remove with large spatula, leaving skin behind on grill.

Can also be cooked in a foil pouch the same way for 10-15 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Go to home depot or menards and buy a 6 foot cedar fence piece. Cut it to the length of the fillet. Put it on the board, put the board on the grill and light it up. Let it go on high until the middle of the fillet is not raw.. don't go any further with it.

No seasoning. Salman is just fine with nothing.. not sauce, no lemon, no salt, no pepper. The cedar plank burning flavors it wonderfully. It also acts as a nice buffer betwen th flame and the skin. Its ok if the board starts on fire.. in fact it is a plus. :)

MA

I likesalmon with honeymustard dijon with some brown sugar on that on a cedar plank

Back