MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #91
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

heres some clarifications in BLUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
OK. That stinks. Thought we were going to get 10 contests in for TOY scoring but not so (not that it matters but wanted to see how we fared with a full 10 contests counting). So now I have some questions.

When we decided to have the contest after all, we were inside the 90 days required for KCBS so we sanctioned with MABA and BBQ Brethren, which ARE recognized by the Jack And AR.

CBJs? percentage?

We are currently 100% CBJ. We will know final % at the contest because we never know who will not show up. We do have extras onsite to cover no shows, but we always look for 100% CBJ. Additionally, Judging refreshers are ALWAYS given from at 9AM to 11am the morning of judging.

I see the scoring is different. What program is being used. Do we just have someone entering scores in a spreadsheet? Lot of talk recently about scoring lately so just curious. Should we expect team printouts?

Do all 6 scores count? I do not see anything in scoring about dropping the lowest score.

We drop the lowest score. Our scoring system was professionally written in C# and Visual Basic over the course of almost 2 years of testing. Its not a basic spreadsheet and yes you will get a printout. Differences are: Scoring uses half point intervals and texture tenderness is weighted highest.

Rules say 'yes' but I would like confirmation on these:
Are 7 samples going to be required with each entry?

By the BBQ Brethren rules, 7 samples are required in the boxes. This was done to give the table captain a sample just in case a judges score does not make sense, he or she will then have something to sample before reporting to the reps, and it also makes it easier for a judge to be assigned table captains. However, we have taken team feedback from other BBQ Brethren events into consideration and during the cooks meeting the contest reps will discuss with the teams allowing 6 pieces for chicken ONLY.

Returning to 6 pieces is on the list for the rules committee for a possible change next year.

Are beef ribs going to be accepted in the beef category?

BBQ-Brethren category is a BEEF category, not Brisket. It can be Long Bone short Ribs or Brisket, or a combination of each.

The ribs must be Long Bone Short ribs (A.K.A Dinosaur bone). A minimum 3 bone rack must be cooked complete and ON the bone and sliced off for turn in.

Long bone Sandwich. :)

Also, I sent out an email update and cooks packet last week to email addresses on the applications. If anyone needs a copy send me your email address or ask your 'chief cook' as listed on the app, they should have received it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 11:42 AM   #92
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Phil,

My birthday is Wednesday. Would you make me one of those dino bone sammiches for my birthday.........just asking.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #93
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for clarification! Sounds good. I'm sure Mark has all the info since he got the cook's packet. Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

How do you think these would do? :)

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=158077
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=163365
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #94
BBQchef33

ok... thats just plain old unfair. All we have to eat is leftover Chinese food or capt'n crunch..and u post that?

Yes, thats them. Make sure they are not cut too short.. sometimes, when purchased at a butcher, Ive had them cut to 4-5 inchs where the butcher cuts the plate in half. Problem there is that they shrink to nothing and sometims one half is nothing but fat. Thats why we look for the whole plate. Restaurant depot sells the full plates like in the picture above.

Dino bones are one of my favorites, and i find them more challenging than brisket to get them dead on. I learned to cook them from Adam Perry Lang and still cant duplicate his.. I think it was an awesome idea of our rules committee to include them in the contests. It brings us outside of our comfort zones and gives us a different challenge.

I think I may sign up for judging. Would that be allowed? (thats a joke)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 07-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #95
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

I think I may sign up for judging. Would that be allowed?
Please send in your application to judge and we will put you on the alternates list. Are you a cbj? If not, you will be put on the turn-in tables.

If you aren't familiar with how BBQ events work, please come early and we will introduce you to the event reps and have a 'contest primer' for you.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #96
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
ok... thats just plain old unfair. All we have to eat is leftover Chinese food or capt'n crunch..and u post that?

Yes, thats them. Make sure they are not cut too short.. sometimes, when purchased at a butcher, Ive had them cut to 4-5 inchs where the butcher cuts the plate in half. Problem there is that they shrink to nothing and sometims one half is nothing but fat. Thats why we look for the whole plate. Restaurant depot sells the full plates like in the picture above.
anyone got a sample photo of what a turn in box would look like for these?
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #97
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

so, to clarify, the dino bones are cooked on the bone, but the bone is not turned in ...just the meat for judging?

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #98
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohrs123 View Post
so, to clarify, the dino bones are cooked on the bone, but the bone is not turned in ...just the meat for judging?
Correct, cooked on the bone, and sliced off to serve to judges.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 07-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #99
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
Please send in your application to judge and we will put you on the alternates list. Are you a cbj? If not, you will be put on the turn-in tables.

If you aren't familiar with how BBQ events work, please come early and we will introduce you to the event reps and have a 'contest primer' for you.

Eric
Dont you have an ice truck to chase?

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 PM   #100
Meat@Slim's
Full Fledged Farker

I'm looking to see if someone might be able to store my trailer for the week?

Cooking Brethren and Sam's.

Old 07-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #101
trohrs123
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat@Slim's View Post

Pm sent

Extreme BBQ Trailer
2 Humphrey Pints and Half Pint, 2 Cubed Pints
18" WSM, Hasty Bake Ranger, Weber Performer
Old No 7
trohrs123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #102
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:

Contact Phil. This was in a Jun 18 email from him:
Quote:
If your competing in Medford the following week, you will be less than 10 miles from the Maples. We may be able to store your rigs in a secured location if you want to save transport.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #103
Meat@Slim's
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

I posted this late last night and it is way too vague!

I'm coming in Saturday from Orient Point Ferry Landing.

Leaving Sunday from whatever Ferry Departure works best if storage for the week is available.

I will return Friday for Sam's Club.

Thanks,

Steve

Old 07-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #104
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

if there's any teams that need a hand, I'm not competing this year, but would be more than happy to lend a hand. Life got in the way this year, but I plan on coming out and hanging with everyone at the very least.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #105
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Me too!

I am slotted to judge Sat and Sun though.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->