1st build and I have a question for a veteran

Rudy

Found some matches.
Hey guys,
I am doing my first BBQ trailer build, really my first ever build. I joined the site to get info and ideas, and I found out this is going to be a fun build. My plan is to make a twin tank system 60-gallon air compressor cooking tank with a 30-gallon air compressor tank fire box, to be connected by five 3x3 square tubing air passage. It is going to be an indirect system will a plate that will be removable doing dual function as a diverter plate that can also be used for charcoal grilling.
My big question is this: I plan to weld the smoker box to the trailer frame low enough to get the right angle to vent quickly towards the grill area. I am asking if anyone has done this before (I'm sure someone has) and wanted to ask if the heat to the trailer would be an issue. I understand there will be heat transfer. Later in the build, I am going to build a basket around the front of the trailer, so there will be no metal attached to the fire box directly. I also plan on having an expanded metal plate for the wood to burn on versus on the tank itself.
The pictures I hope to show the attachment points in the pictures. I can take others if needed.
This is a simple mock up, and the blue tank will be raised higher than it is in the pictures.

Attachments

• smoket 2.jpg
    smoket 2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Smoker welded to trailer.jpg
    Smoker welded to trailer.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 187
  • rear bar smoker on trailer.jpg
    rear bar smoker on trailer.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 187
  • Mock up.jpg
    Mock up.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 188
I have my firebox welded directly to the frame on my trailer, and yes, you will indeed get heat transfer - but I wouldn't be as concerned about the trailer as I would be about burning my or other peoples legs by bumping into it. I have my reverse flow offset cooker mounted longwise on the trailer with the firebox about 6 1/2 inches from the actual tire, but I have what amount to 3 heat shields with air gaps between and I don't have any issues with that set-up. You'll need to take into consideration where you're going to run the wiring as well to keep it away from the firebox. Obviously, you should also plan on painting the trailer frame with the hi-heat paint when you get to that point.

Thanks. I plan to build a box around the front of the trailer coming out as far as the tire fenders to the neck. I'm right with you about the paint. I'm going to do the whole trailer with that paint. Wiring will have to shirt the edge. Thanks again Enduro.

How far and how fast do you plan pulling this design? I noticed you notched the frame to fit the firebox! Two things concern me about that...first, the frame is already light and you cut material out of a part of the hitch tongue assembly.....subject to both vertical and side loading. Absent additional crossmembers and bracing, the firebox becomes part of the frame structure subject to multiple twisting forces which ( combined with the effects of repeated heating and cooling) will certainly cause metal fatigue.
Please understand I am not saying the firebox can't be mounted in the current position, it just needs to be done with the addition of proper bracing to insure safety.

Thanks for the wire tubing tip.
The trailer will most likely never see the road. I had the trailer, and the tanks so figured lets put them together. I live 10 miles from my favorite lake so back and forth about 30 miles. Everyone come to my 5-acre property, so I need a larger grill. I plan to build a box around the trailer and will build in some supports. The tongue is bolted on, right now its only disconnected. I will shorten and store in a holder on the trailer till needed. It will go back on with a pin system. I also plan to put on a grass mower attachment to pull around the property.

Back