MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #6931
trza
Knows what a fatty is.

Just got home from my mega-smoke. I don't recommend throwing 50lbs or so of butts in one drum even though they will fit. It kills the convection, and the butts drip so much liquid that it extinguishes the coals. 40lbs or so is probably the practical max for a two level UDS. If I would have left a nice sized hole in the middle of the grates for the air to flow around it probably would have been a good idea to help the meat cook faster.

Given the dripping soaked charcoal mess in the drums, I made arrangements with the camp that I cooked at to leave them burning for the rest of the night until they run out of fuel. Leaving an extra near-temp butt on one of the smokers sealed the deal in my favor. Something tells me that I'm looking at a huge PITA to clean these guys out tomorrow. The pressure washer should help a lot. Do you think that I'll need to re-season them after I get them washed out and home?

Some interesting info that people might like to know...

1. A basket that is 16" in diameter and 6-7 inches high can hold a 20 lb bag of Kingsford briquettes.

2. A UDS + 20lbs of charcoal can hold temp for well over 24 hours.

These drums really are contagious. Twice guys saw my drums working and by the time we finished talking about them they were ready to build their own.

I should have the time to post pics this week.

Thanks everybody for your help!

Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #6932
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

FYI - Found those long probe turkey fryer thermometers that were referred to somewhere in the first 200 pages at Meijer for $3.19.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #6933
brewski
Got Wood.

Count me in Brethren. I've burned logs and shoveled embers into a pit all my life. I built this guy Saturday morning and seasoned it last night. Did a Eye of Rounf roast on it during the seasoning. I think I liky! Started out basic with the UDS but may do some mods along the way. Thanks guys!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS.jpg (27.0 KB, 774 views)

Old 10-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #6934
bbrewster
Found some matches.

Brewski,

Is it hard to find a smooth sided drum? I like the look of yours better than one with the two rings around the middle. It almost looks like it should have a lining or something.

Does anyone know if they make drums with metal linings? I saw somebody post a double walled UDS but I didn't know if they made the internal wall.
bbrewster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #6935
brewski
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrewster View Post
Brewski,

Is it hard to find a smooth sided drum? I like the look of yours better than one with the two rings around the middle. It almost looks like it should have a lining or something.

Does anyone know if they make drums with metal linings? I saw somebody post a double walled UDS but I didn't know if they made the internal wall.
I thought it was odd myself. I got two of them this week. The other one I turned into a barrel wood stove for my shop. I did a 5-6 hour hot burn to get rid of the original paint inside and out.

The business sells them for $10. They are clean because the glue and silicone that comes in them is bagged. They do not even have scratches or dents.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #6936
NCSU-Q
Got Wood.

Default Bung Cap Missing

I just got my drum to build my UDS.
I had a buddy pick it up for me, and when he dropped it off, the cap for the 2" bung was missing.
I have googled trying to find a replacement, but only come up with plastic ones.
I also googled for 2" pipe to just skip the cap and make a stack, but stainless is the only thing I found (other than plastic or galvanized) and that stuff is pretty expensive.
Where do I go from here?
What material are others using to build their stacks?
NCSU-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #6937
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSU-Q View Post
I had a buddy pick it up for me, and when he dropped it off, the cap for the 2" bung was missing.
I have googled trying to find a replacement, but only come up with plastic ones.
I also googled for 2" pipe to just skip the cap and make a stack, but stainless is the only thing I found (other than plastic or galvanized) and that stuff is pretty expensive.
Where do I go from here?
I used PVC and painted it to match my drum.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 09:46 AM   #6938
NCSU-Q
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FUNVET View Post
I used PVC and painted it to match my drum.
Isnt plastic (pvc) a problem with 250 degree air passing through it??
I guess technically, when it gets to the stack the air has already passed the food, but... there has to be a better way.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:48 AM   #6939
NCSU-Q
Got Wood.

Default BGE Vent

One more question... I have decided to use a BGE draft door for my air intake. How are you guys attaching these to the drum? Rivets? JB Weld?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #6940
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Isnt plastic (pvc) a problem with 250 degree air passing through it??
I guess technically, when it gets to the stack the air has already passed the food, but... there has to be a better way.

Been cooking on mine for over a year with no problems.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #6941
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

You can't get a 2" black iron nipple??
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #6942
Gonesledn
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Where do I go from here?
i use 2" black pipe, the kind used for gas lines. not too expensive. i have a 90 degree elbow on top a short 2" nipple to keep rain out. it also doubles as a hook for the lid.

they also make a 2" black plug, which i think is what you were looking for.
http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...ug-602937.aspx

lowes and depot carry these in stock as well.
Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2010, 11:03 AM   #6943
Gonesledn
Knows what a fatty is.

Gonesledn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #6944
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
One more question... I have decided to use a BGE draft door for my air intake. How are you guys attaching these to the drum? Rivets? JB Weld?
IMO not the best way to go but I am sure someone will offer a different opinion. To each his own. I have a couple of friends who after seeing my build decided to build a UDS for themselves and went the way of the BGE sliding door and they sometimes have trouble on windy days. I would go with the threaded nip and ball valve but that's me.

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #6945
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trza View Post
Something tells me that I'm looking at a huge PITA to clean these guys out tomorrow. The pressure washer should help a lot. Do you think that I'll need to re-season them after I get them washed out and home?
A weed burner is your friend. Burn the stuff out. If you pressure wash, just make sure it is good and dry when you are done.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker