Up right Freezer/ Fridge Smoker

L

Lazy Dawg

Any brethren have any suggestions on how to use/convert an up right freezer or fridge into a smoker? May have a piece of equipment avail to me and I thought I read somewhere that these old appliances make great smokers due to their tight sealing and well insulated properties. If anyone has done this or can offer some advise it would be appreciated. Thanks folks.

This has been kicked around some.
Seems the biggest problem is any plastic interior parts, like walls and stuff. Kinda like melts or something :redface:

If you can get an all-metal interior, it could make an acceptable smoker.

TIM

If it were an all metal interior such as a commercial unit.Would the coals be placed in a pan in the bottom of the unit or would you reccomend some sort of fire box attached to one side of unit?

I was in the library here recently and got a BBQ book. Anyway, there was a section covering this exact topic. Sorry I can not recall the title.

I know "most" conversions using a fridge/freezer usually is a cold smoker.
The book "Mastering the craft of smoking foods" goes in alot of depth on this. Actually thats basically what the book hits on is cold smoking.

I vaguely recall an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown showed a converted firdge unit into a smoker. I think it was for cold smoking though where the temps don't get as high as a regular smoker.

If you got an older box with porcelein interior, or a commercial box, you'd remove the compressor, etc. from the bottom and cut a hole in the bottom and build an exterior fire/smoke box and use stovepipe to route the heat and smoke.

A competitor at Dillard has a commercial ice machine as the chamber and an old cast iron stove connected with said stove pipe.

Another option would, depending on the size of the 'fridge, be to use a Bradley smoke generator - they are available seperately from the Bradley smoker.

Thanks for the feed back folks. The search will continue for that better pit.

Back